↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Driver's window...again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Driver's window...again
Had that problem, or rather the wife had,again of the driver's electric window not working. Seems my last repair came adrift. This time it was a proper job i.e. tools out, door trim off, brow being moped by daughter etc.I noticed a clunking or slapping sound everytime the window was used. On investigation it turned out to be the channel or guide runner for the glass on the front or hinged end of the door. Looking at the bottom I could see the runner slapping against the door end everytime the window moved .There is a hole in the door frame behind the runner which I presume was for a self tapping screw to hold the runner guide in place. Either this has gone or was never fitted.
Naturally enough I did not have a small self tapping screw to replace it with. What I did have was some "GORILLA"tape. This is a brand of very strong duct tape. Anyway I cut a piece of "GORILLA" tape folded it over on itself and put it behind the guide runner where the self tapping screw should be. Then I ran the window up and down a few times - having repaired my last repair to the wire by using heavier wire- to bed in the tape. No more clattering or slapping as the window is used. This temporary repair will probably remain in place until I've the trim off to do something else. I also found that one of the nuts holding the glass in place needed tightened.
As an aside. We don't really mind doing little maintenance jobs on the Defender but when it comes to doing maintenance jobs on the wife, well that's a different matter. You know when she says "Rub my heel with this pumice stone" or "Can you cut that toe nail just there?" etc etc etc. Just not the same is it? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #250750 11th Jul 2013 4:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1