↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Preferred paintwork wax types.
Which paintwork wax type do you use?
Spray on liquid Wax
28%
 28%  [6]
Hand applied liquid Wax
47%
 47%  [10]
Hand applied hard set paste Wax
23%
 23%  [5]
Total Votes: 21

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Preferred paintwork wax types.
Out of curiosity I’m curious to know what paintwork wax application methods now tend to be most popular.
So I thought I’d run a poll and see, feel free to mention your preferred brand of which mine is Meguiars.
However, I’m mostly interested to know which application method tends to be most popular now.

I have used hard paste wax before in the past, which lasts very well. But have been using liquid wax hand applied for a few years.
I’m tending to look towards using spray on now as many are very much more advanced now. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #908241 16th Jun 2021 10:26pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have a glass jar of hard wax called Dodo Juice. Had it yonks, but I really like it, goes on easy and doesn’t leave that horrid white residue you get from Auto Glym. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #908249 16th Jun 2021 10:46pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I use Autoglym and yes the horrid white stuff is not good.

Been using it for years.
Post #908268 17th Jun 2021 8:19am
kenzle8a

I've always used Bilt Hamblers stuff on my cars, the G3 stuffHalfords sell is nice too, their resin wax and clay mitt are rather good at removing lime tree... I've always found it far nice than AutoGyln.
Post #908278 17th Jun 2021 9:39am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I take the lazy option and use Autoglym Aqua wax. Means that both cars are waxed at every wash rather than on the rare occasion I can be bothered with all the white mess. Makes the garage smell nice too (if you like the smell of banana angel delight).
Topped up with some liquid wax on the black areas (wheel arches and roof) for the extra shine.
Then once or twice a year I use a proper polish.
Post #908283 17th Jun 2021 10:16am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Meguiars ceramic wax

Just spray on and rinse off with a pressure washer leaves an amazing shine and ceramic protection. The best wax I have ever used and is so easy to apply. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #908291 17th Jun 2021 11:54am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
recently needed some wax type product in a hurry (and was miles from my lockup), so popped into a local halfords and picked up some auto finesse tripple wax.

It's a cleaner wax, so not a pure wax, but a combined polish/wax/glaze.
I must admit I was quite impressed, effective and very easy to use.

I'd buy again. smells nice too..
Post #908298 17th Jun 2021 12:14pm
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
Bobby Dazzler is exactly as it sounds.
Post #908304 17th Jun 2021 1:02pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Turtle wax carunba paste when I a have twice, say 2 - 3 times a year. Reat of the time Megs "waterless wax" does a good enough job for my old truck.

Full machine applied turtle wax

Click image to enlarge

Does a good job after a scratch removal as well

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #908315 17th Jun 2021 2:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
gilarion wrote:
Meguiars ceramic wax

Just spray on and rinse off with a pressure washer leaves an amazing shine and ceramic protection. The best wax I have ever used and is so easy to apply.

That’s what I have ready to go funny enough first time I’ll be trying it, I used some Autoglym glass polish today and found that pretty good as is rain x cleaner spray too.

Normally for quick washes I use Meguiars yellow wax and wax a two in one product and has been really really good.
I have been using that for years and years now.
I intend to top up wax with the Ceramic.

Sometimes I use a show car glaze, and black trim applicant too all Meguiars.
I’m not a detailing crazy fan but like to do a nice job when I do go the whole hog with it all, mainly for keeping paintwork up to scratch.
You can use them for purpose and keep them looking nice too in between getting really dirty.
It’s all part of the fun in my book.

Two products I won’t use again are tire gel and snow foam, I’ve had some issues with using those two items before.

It’s always great to see everyone’s different methods and products they use and choices, sometimes I think it can be really good to use different products from different manufacturers if they are really good.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #908368 17th Jun 2021 9:18pm
Rashers

Come on Steve. Spill the beans! What are your issues with Snow Foam and Tyre Gell?? Very Happy

I feel the same way about wheel cleaner. I’m not sure whether it does more harm than good? Trying not to use it these days, although I have in the past.
Post #908371 17th Jun 2021 9:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Well the snow foam was okay, but I found it stripped the clear on the front and rear badges I had. It at the time but months later it was noticeable. And that is despite checking it was mixed and applied correctly and fully rinsed properly.

The tire gel, nothing concrete as such but I think it induces more rapid tyre cracking and ageing faster.
I do not use it on my current set of tyres, but on my last set I did and I’m pretty sure it induced faster ageing.
And the same with my trailer tyres too, again since been changed and won’t use it again.

Not had any issues with alloy wheel cleaner, but some aren’t too good. The one I use Meguiars which is relatively new is PH neutral so that’s good enough for my with that.

But yes, you do have to be careful what you use. Some things can cause more harm than good.

I’ve always found rain x two in one to be safe on the dash binnacle, clock face on the dash, all light lenses headlight light lenses etc and also number plates.
Just be careful to use a brand new microfibre and keep checking nothing is being wiped around so turn cloth often, and get rid of when dirty.
Then buff with a brand new clean one to take off residue.

I’m always careful with acrylic stuff, can’t be too careful with it. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #908373 17th Jun 2021 9:57pm
Rashers

Thumbs Up

Always good to know experiences.

I have no evidence of wheel damage from the Autoglym wheel cleaner and it might be due to rubbish alloys on previous euro boxes. The pH neutral wheel cleaner sounds good. The Autoglym one is definitely acidic and stings if you get it on your skin. Best thing I have found for easy cleaning wheels is a set of black coloured ones as the brake dust doesn’t show like it does on silver or white.

I have never used Snow Foam. I like a traditional bucket and sponge - although I now use a microfibre mop I got at Halfords. I really like that.

I was also very traditional with my use of a leather chamois. I bought a couple of new ones from the same car parts store and was very disappointed. In desperation I found an artificial one in a plastic bag in the shed. I am now converted!!

I was looking at Meguiars wax in a round tin but there seems to be three or four. Which one’s are recommended? I couldn’t work out which one would be best to use. I am no fan of the Autoglym white residue.
Post #908377 17th Jun 2021 10:33pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I’ve used so many products but keep going back to Autoglym Super Resin Polish

But I do wash weekly starting with a snow foam wash and Demon Shine detail to finish. And I always use rain water as our water is very hard. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #908392 18th Jun 2021 8:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
I was looking at Meguiars wax in a round tin but there seems to be three or four. Which one’s are recommended? I couldn’t work out which one would be best to use. I am no fan of the Autoglym white residue.

I would suggest #26 yellow.

It’s a great wax, but my problem I found with it with being a defender was contaminating the wax tin.
This is why I tend to use yellow wash and wax 2 in 1 for a quick wash and liquid waxes instead.
Until now I’ve used ultimate liquid, but now I’m going for spray ceramic in the blue bottle I’m interested to give it a go.

I do have some ultimate polish but I don’t tend to use it, I use that once in a blue moon aka hardly ever as it is abrasive all be it very mildly.
Every time you are doing that you are reducing the clean coat thickness and durability all be it very mildly. I prefer to polish as a corrective measure and not as a general use.

No7 show car glaze is a really nice product as well! That you would use pre wax.
I intend to use the yellow wash and wax, then the ceramic. That should give the looks benefit that
Carnauba wax provides but with the added hydrophobic extreme wat.er shedding effect and protection that the ceramic coating has including the extended lift of being applied.

That’s the plan, I’ll be doing it a few days time hopefully. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #908452 18th Jun 2021 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>