↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tentipi Onyx or Zirkon Tents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
peterl

1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Tentipi Onyx or Zirkon Tents
Has anyone got one of these. We are looking to change from Outwell carolina and thought one of these may suit.

Look really easy to put up and plenty of room, but want to know what they are like in the wind, rain and are they worth the money.

Any feed back would be graet
Post #245703 22nd Jun 2013 9:04pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Very easy to set up - 8 pegs in ground one pole - job done.
Very good in the wind - being round the wind just blows arround the tent.
Great for head room.
Would recommend getting a fire at some stage - transforms a wet camp into a warm cosy place
Being a breathable cotton canvas they are great in the hot summer and waterproof in the wet

We have had ours for 7 years now and think it is definitely worth the money
Post #245709 22nd Jun 2013 9:13pm
peterl

1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Cool, I see they do an inner tent, but they are nearly the same price as the tent!!! Do you have one and what model is your tent.
Would you consider any other tent or is this the defender of tents?
Post #245712 22nd Jun 2013 9:18pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
We have an Oztent and have seriously considered these recently as an extra addition. They have many positives and the best being the option to have a stove inside.

However by the time you add a ground sheet and a stove it becomes very expensive. There is also the downside of not being able to fully seal it, so bugs, Mosquitos will always be able to get in.

It's a tough choice, especially with such a high price tag.
Post #245735 22nd Jun 2013 9:52pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I was looking for the same thing but found the price to be prohibitive and then I came across this through a blog
Helsport Varanger Camp. It seems similar in that it has an inner tent and can accommodate a fire/cooker.
www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/ I have not purchased one so can not vouch for it but the reviews look good.
Post #245778 23rd Jun 2013 12:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Hi Peterl
We do not have an inner tent - there is no need - we have used the tent in the arctic at minus 27 and in the hot summer when the sun shines - and have never thought we needed an inner so save your money
We have a ground sheet which gives a nice floor of camping in muddy conditions
They do not seal against bugs but unless you are going to africa who cares - british bugs dont bite that hard.
We have the old basic model which is the same as the newer onyx
I bought a stove from ebay, so not too expensive and would recommend one if planning a cold weather trip or if it rains a lot - having a dry warm tent at night is a real treat and being able to dry cloths/ towels makes a huge difference to camping trips.
I personally would not buy another ground tent - its quick to put up, very stable in all conditions, gives lots of standing room, gives a warm cosy environment with a stove, is not stuffy in hot conditions and is fairly compact when packed.
If I was going to africa I would probably take a roof tent to avoid the creepy crawlys that may bite me.
Post #245784 23rd Jun 2013 2:02am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have a Safir 9 with a ground sheet and stove, as boode has said they are great.

We don't always use the ground sheet when were just camping for 1 night and we've never had any problems with bugs. The stove is also a great feature, you get a few funny looks from people when they first see it in campsites but its a great social piece when your with groups when its not the warmist. Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #245786 23rd Jun 2013 6:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD

United Kingdom 
I have one they are good and i sell them Whistle

nice and warm in the winter at -15 RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #245788 23rd Jun 2013 7:29am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
RLD

is that a tentipi? I like the entrance is that new for 2013?

I have stayed in a couple of tentipi s and I was amazed at how compact they are to store and how massive they are when up. If I had not bought a maggi I would have probably had a tentipi.

A couple of considerations

1. Ok for a young family but no compartments when teenagers come along
2. I believe you get what you pay for, these are quality tents but you really do,pay top dollar
Post #245801 23rd Jun 2013 9:02am
RLD

United Kingdom 
No it's not it's a Helsport Varanger Camp half the price of Tentipi but just as good and lighter i have used these summer winter in every kind of weather RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #245827 23rd Jun 2013 10:36am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/tags.php?tag=tentipi

This was the blog I found with lots of banter around Tentipi pros and cons.
Post #245844 23rd Jun 2013 11:12am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Echo what Boode has said. Bear in mind that the numbers of occupants quoted is in 'expedition' format - ie like sardines. No need for inner liner. There is mozzy nets around the vents already built in. We were advised that the inner liner could flap against the outer layer when windy - ie noisy - so we never bought one and actually have never needed it. In strong winds you can use the additional guy wires at 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the way up to peg it down - never used them so far as it has a low profile to the wind in any case. I like the zippable ground sheet (I think it is called the 'Pro') as this allows you to have a wet/dirty area in front of the door by zipping back the groundsheet in that area - and accommodates the fire if you buy one.
Post #246000 23rd Jun 2013 7:06pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Another option is a bell tent. These can also have a stove fitted and are also easy to pitch. The big difference is they tend to be made of cotton canvas, whereas the Tentipis are polyester-cotton canvas ("cotopol"). This makes the bell tents heavier, but that shouldn't be an issue with Defender-based camping. They are much cheaper than Tentipis (around £350-450).

I use an Oztent but am seriously tempted by a tent-with-stove. We're based in Scotland and I'm a keen photographer. Some of the best photo conditions are during the Autumn/Winter, when it's cold and the days are short. It can be pretty depressing waiting out a long dark wet evening without any heating! However, the lack of bug protection does bother me. Up here, especially on the west coast, we get midges in the summer and, more of a problem, ticks. I spose I could keep the Oztent for the summer, but don't know whether I could afford to have both. Big Cry 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #249008 4th Jul 2013 1:42pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We have a Safir 9. Used it in all weathers and its great. We do have the inner tent, which i find useful even just to keep the dogs in.

Click image to enlarge
Post #249156 5th Jul 2013 6:55am
stravaig

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Rimini Red
Tentipi. I use one and think its great.

With the Groundsheet a useful tip is to take a piece of thin bungee around the bottom of the (tents) skirt that gets pegged down inside, through the eyelets and then just tension. Helps with the draught under the groundsheet.
Post #258014 11th Aug 2013 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>