↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cutting out the passenger footwell water leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Stick with it. You'll soon forget the problems when you've got your hands on it Very Happy One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #25921 5th Mar 2010 8:35pm
AlpsLandy

France 
Reviving an old thread cos its relevant to me Smile.

Collected my brand new 90 in mid Sep - both carpets were wet when I got home and then I noticed the drivers door was bent... Went back for the door fix - my first six weeks of ownership they had it for five...

So now it still leaks in both footwells - carpet on the sides is sometimes saturated. I removed the floor carpets and just kept the rubber mats on day one due to the ingress. I notice that the sponge below the windscreen on the passenger side is leaking and often full of water...

At the moment I just make sure that the air can circulate behind the carpet I can get at and have left it at that. Tomorrow Im going in to the dealer for the etching on the windows. Do I raise the issue of water ingress and start the ball rolling or do I adopt the attitude 'they all leak so wtf?'.

Im loving my new toy and hate the stress of dealing with dealers (who are 30 miles away). So is this damaging the beast or is it something I can live with if its not bothering me?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Post #114449 11th Jan 2012 9:41pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
AlpsLandy wrote:
Do I raise the issue of water ingress and start the ball rolling or do I adopt the attitude 'they all leak so wtf?'.

Definitely raise it, just because it's a Land Rover does not mean it has to leak!

If I were to buy a new Defender for whatever reason then I would have it back there for every single little thing that was wrong while it was within warranty!
Post #114454 11th Jan 2012 9:49pm
AlpsLandy

France 
Hi Retro - I know that you are right. I'm going to give it a good hose down tomorrow and get the carpets really soaking (via the leaks and not with the doors open Laughing ). They cant ignore me then - although they may try as when I collected it they said 'you should expect it to leak...

Let you know how I get on.
Post #114456 11th Jan 2012 9:53pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Expect it to leak!?

I'd be handing them the keys and asking for my money back.
Post #114458 11th Jan 2012 9:57pm
AlpsLandy

France 
Dealer took one look and said "its not right" Thumbs Up

Booked in from 24-26 so fingers crossed. 2011 Defender 90 SW
2006 Discovery 3 HSE
Post #114555 12th Jan 2012 11:21am
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Ive been chasing leaks on my TD5, mainly around the drivers door.

Water appeared to be getting in and dripping in the corner nearest to the window, after buying some fancy 3M marine sealent which can be painted i set to sorting the leaks.

Firstly i removed the foam in the top corners of each window and replaced with sealent.
Then i applied a small amout around each door seal, where it meets the roof and down the side nearest the window.

Tested again, still leaked!

I then masked up the car along the gutters on each side, after noteing cracks inside the gutter, filled with the 3M sealent and tested, leak reduced.

Now i cleaned up the roof, and masked the area up neatly along the joint between the sloping roof and level roof, applied the sealent and using a glue spreader made sure it got in every nook and craney, I was now left with a black line across the roof, so after the sealent dried i masked up again and sprayed the roof up using a 3 can pack from an on line seller of matched spray cans.

Tested again, leak gone!

Looks quite a good repair afterwards too, very happy with it.

The roof joint has a u shaped channel under it, which depending on which way the car is leaning, flows down the u, into a gutter which sits above the door and runs the length of the car, so it will fill up the footwells.
Post #114581 12th Jan 2012 1:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123