↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Secure long-term parking at Heathrow?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Secure long-term parking at Heathrow?
Hi all,

Just sorting out some last minute finances for a 110... however I just realised that I will need to leave it for a time at Heathrow in December for a trip abroad.

Can anyone recommend a secure carpark at that airport? I've heard all sorts of horror stories of thefts from supposedly secure carparks, so I'm trying to do the research ahead of time.

I could leave it at home and take the other car... but I'm suspicious of leaving it there as well for such a long time unattended. Confused

I don't trust anyone anymore since our place was broken into (different location) a few years back!
Post #18672 20th Nov 2009 4:24pm
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Put it in the garage and get the train Wink

I worked at a small park and fly company following redundancy and the only advice I can give is check mileage before and after, leave nothing in the car, take spare keys with you and don't leave anything but vehicle key with them. Check the car on return before you leave.

On a plus side while I worked there (newcastle) no cars where knicked or anything stolen, worst thing was reversing the cars so close the towbars sometimes cracked a number plate.

Oh and make sure they don't have a policy of storing your vehicle away from the main site, we had a neighbouring firm kept the overflow in an unsecured farmers field and they lost shed loads of vehicles.

Hope this helps a bit Thumbs Up
Post #18674 20th Nov 2009 4:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eutek

Oh my... thanks for the info! Our garage is tiny, the wife's car is way too big to fit in it, let alone the Defender. I think anything larger than an MG roadster would have issues.

I'm looking at taxi fare to/from the airport, and it seems to be roughly the same as it would cost us to park the car near the airport.

Parking it at home, at least we can block the Defender in the driveway with the wife's car.

I do realise that if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.. but deterrence is better than nothing!

Cibit wrote:
Put it in the garage and get the train Wink

I worked at a small park and fly company following redundancy and the only advice I can give is check mileage before and after, leave nothing in the car, take spare keys with you and don't leave anything but vehicle key with them. Check the car on return before you leave.

On a plus side while I worked there (newcastle) no cars where knicked or anything stolen, worst thing was reversing the cars so close the towbars sometimes cracked a number plate.

Oh and make sure they don't have a policy of storing your vehicle away from the main site, we had a neighbouring firm kept the overflow in an unsecured farmers field and they lost shed loads of vehicles.

Hope this helps a bit Thumbs Up
Post #18675 20th Nov 2009 5:11pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
We have always used Holiday Inn but that has only been for a week or so, stay 1 night and the parking is free and we take the keys with us. Not sure if there is a time limit though. A pass is needed to get the car out of the car park so relatively secure and we have had no problems. Great if you have an early flight too.
Post #18676 20th Nov 2009 6:14pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
I always book mine in the dealers and they are quite happy to look after it for two weeks Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #18677 20th Nov 2009 6:27pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I have done that too....just not with the shoddy dealers!!

I know 3 people who have had their LR's stolen from secure parking...examples are they can be driven over the verges etc.

Ive also seen 2 programmes on them using your cars etc

What we have done is hired a car and dropped it off at the airport they collect you leave! Mike
Post #18678 20th Nov 2009 7:03pm
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I always use parking on the airport if possible, a bit more pricy but loads more security around the car park as well as in it. Never felt too comfortable about a plot some way away with only a chain link fence round it.

Other tips:

Completely empty the vehicle and leave cubby boxs open to show it's empty.

On other models i always leave the luggage cover off the boot area and glove boxes open.

Remove the stereo front if possible but don't leave it in the car.

Leave the spare wheel at home in the garage (use Land Rover Assist in the unlikely event you have a puncture).

Don't wash it before hand, a dirty vehicle looks less desirable

Use an extra steering wheel lock, yes they are easy to bust but it is a further visible deterrent.

Leave the transfer box in neutral (fools most people... heck I always forget on getting back to the car) Very Happy

if possible park next to another Defender that is newer, cleaner, has more bling accessories than yours Laughing MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #18698 21st Nov 2009 1:20am
eutek

Thanks guys for the excellent tips... I might go the route of bringing it back to the dealer, however there is a slight chance that the trains will still be running by the time we get back.
Post #18706 21st Nov 2009 11:03am
spudfan

Ireland 
Buy a compressor then you can let one one of your tyres down. Takes a while to reinflate it on your return but at least your Landy will still be there. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #18734 22nd Nov 2009 12:07pm
mse

We have only used one that let you park yourself - which is a problem if you want to do these things. Mike
Post #18736 22nd Nov 2009 12:49pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Take your stuff out and insure it. At the end of the day it is there to be used. If you can't leave it at home or in a car park - sell it and get a Ford Focus. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18751 22nd Nov 2009 9:12pm
mse

alantd wrote:
Take your stuff out and insure it. At the end of the day it is there to be used. If you can't leave it at home or in a car park - sell it and get a Ford Focus.

Yep - there's nothing like returning from holiday to find your cars been stolen Whistle

I think my goal is to keep it as safe as i can...if it then gets stolen, well i did all i could and that was life. Mike
Post #18756 22nd Nov 2009 9:44pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why not change the holiday and take the Defender on an overland trip! No chance then of it being stolen from secure parking Rolling with laughter
Post #18766 23rd Nov 2009 10:33am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
If you really want to stop it getting stolen, get a mech-lock to disable the clutch and put a set of window guards in the back to create a secure cage. You can then put an extra lock on the back door (Klasp, or something similar) and get a lockable cubby.

Add in a big yellow deterrent bar on the steering wheel and you're about as secure as it is possible to make a Land Rover.

Rather expensive, though. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18789 24th Nov 2009 10:09am
eutek

Excellent responses guys - thanks!

I agree that the car is there to be used... I admit that I'm a bit paranoid in general, but you are 100% - at the end of the day the car is there to be used.
Post #18794 24th Nov 2009 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1