↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Starts Stalls Difficult to restart
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Starts Stalls Difficult to restart
Hi I hope someone can shed some light on this.
Occasionally, if having started my TD5, usually first thing in the morning, if I don't give it enough welly reversing out the drive and it stalls, I have a bugler of a job getting it going again.

The starters going well enough, but it's like winding up, until it eventually starts to splutter and fires up in a cloud of blue smoke.
I've tried waiting a few minutes in the hope that whatever the problem is clears before turning the key but invariably if fails to catch first time and I'm back on the winding up cycle again.
It never used to happen before the engine was out during the chassis refurb,I just wonder if something electrical has been knocked off?
I'd be really interested in your thoughts.
DRW I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #241544 6th Jun 2013 9:06pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Have you tried turning the ignition on (so the fuel pumps starts) and letting it pump for 4 or 5 seconds, then starting?

my 90 does this, I think the pump is on its way out, as when I turn the engine off, I can gear the fuel draining back into the tank and gurgling. something must be amiss in the pump (and it's a bit noisy too)

Mine also needs cranking a bit to start it, but if i let the pump prime the system for a few seconds, it fires up immediately.
Post #241581 6th Jun 2013 10:01pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Have a look down your fuel line but when mine did this i had a leak on the fuel filter head under the rear right tyre arch, but it could be an airlock in the fuel line. Have you done the fuel purge thingy when you turn the engine on and fully depress the accelerator pedal as many time ( about 5 or 6 times ) before the engine managment light goes out on the dash and then let it do its thing.
Post #241587 6th Jun 2013 10:17pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Put your finger on the fuelpump relay while operating the starter.
See if it's vibrating or not. 
Post #241607 6th Jun 2013 11:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DRW58

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Thanks everyone,
In answer to your questions

Yes I have tried letting it sit for a few minutes then listening for the fuel pump to prime before trying to restart, but to no avail.

I've not tried pumping the accelerator yet but will give it a go as well as checking along the fuel line.

Laurie, not sure where the fuel pump relay is? I suspect it could be one of those under the seat?
What does it tell me if it's vibrating other than to keep SWMBO away from it lol Rolling with laughter
DRW I built a garage for my Mini
With a place for everything and everthing in its place.
Ten years down the line there's a Mini in there somewhere, and Censored all's where it should be!!!! Ho hum
Post #241832 7th Jun 2013 9:45pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Does it ever die when driving? It could be the injector seals and washers on the way out. When you pump the accelerator the ecu goes into fuel purge mode with the dash light flashing, when its stopped if the motor starts straight up there's probably air getting in to the fuel system and on mine it was the seals.
Post #241861 7th Jun 2013 11:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1