↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > HELP no headlights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Arsath wrote:
and I found a 5.33 Pound alternative to the Dutch one..

H4-H4-Headlight-Headlamp-Black-Booster-Wire-Harness-Cable

Hope this will work.. Whistle

Cheap, that's true.

Seller based in China.
In the notes under item description I read the following:
No Instructions or tools are provided for this listing.This is NOT an easy job for someone who has no technical skills with Disassembling or Assembling Cellphones/mobile phones So only purchase this item if you know how to install it.We will not be held responsible for any damages to your cellphone/mobile phone that you may cause during the changing of replacement parts.

Hope for you that it will work. Bonne chance. Thumbs Up You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #444511 9th Aug 2015 2:45pm
Arsath

United Arab Emirates 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Fuji White
Quote:
No Instructions or tools are provided for this listing.This is NOT an easy job for someone who has no technical skills with Disassembling or Assembling Cellphones/mobile phones So only purchase this item if you know how to install it.We will not be held responsible for any damages to your cellphone/mobile phone that you may cause during the changing of replacement parts.
Rolling with laughter

I did not notice that.. I think the seller just copy pasted the description from one of the other product he has for sale.. Surprised Anyhow once you understand the purpose of the relay in the circuit, you will know its not complicated at all.. I am in the look out for the relays and the H4 male and female connectors (possibly I will use the ceramic ones ) to build my own loom, probably I will use a separate relay for each switch setting (one for Dip, one for high beam), it will cost a tad bit more but it will be more reliable.. Cool

I will post some pictures when I get around this..
Post #444615 9th Aug 2015 7:57pm
wmca

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Defender Headlight Switch failing
Traxside AU do a loom, harness and adjustable for LED’s for $160, about an hour to fit, very easy to do. WMcA Brisbane Australia
Defender 2.4 Puma 2009

“Airbags! The other vehicle is my crumple zone!"
Post #444713 9th Aug 2015 11:09pm
Arsath

Hi All,

I checked the headlamp switch, there was no issue. what else could be the problem? When I use the highbeam/indicator switch all lights are working.. What do you think I am missing here..
Post #458921 29th Sep 2015 11:09am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thought from previous posts you were looking into either making your own loom with the addition of a relay, or swapping the switch? Are you saying that since 07 August you have not had dipped lights? How did you 'check' the switch? Did you use a multimeter? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #458935 29th Sep 2015 12:26pm
Arsath

Quote:
Thought from previous posts you were looking into either making your own loom with the addition of a relay, or swapping the switch? Are you saying that since 07 August you have not had dipped lights? How did you 'check' the switch? Did you use a multimeter?

Yes, initially I was thinking of making all those changes, and I bought a new switch as well. but the existing switch doesn't seem to have any issues.. Since I live in Dubai and my Defender is in Sri Lanka, I only use it once every month when I go back for a weekend. I did not use a multi-meter to check, but there was no visible issue, and my cars technician checked it as well. We checked all the fuses as well and did not find a issue. Since I was short of time we did not pursue it any further.. I was thinking may be I am missing something obvious.. sorry if this sounds stupid, I am no mechanic (software engineer by profession) , and this is my first Land Rover.. still learning.. Smile
Post #460235 4th Oct 2015 9:27am
K9F

You need to use a multimeter or just swap the switch out as a process of elimination, especially with all the experience and issues suffered by so many people with the very same switch. A multimeter will check to see if it is working electrically a visible check does not in a lot of cases. As you have a switch being short of time is no excuse. Twice you have asked if you are missing something....The thing that is obvious is that you should check things properly or swap it out before moving on and perhaps seeking another resolution? Swap the switch regardless and if it still doesn't work find someone with a multimeter and the skills that can assist in diagnosing exactly what is wrong, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. I still suspect your column switch has overheated and the pin has sunk into it's mounting on the board.

Good luck. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 4th Oct 2015 10:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #460243 4th Oct 2015 9:37am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
€160 for a few relays and some wire?! I'll build me own thanks. Bit of time spent looming up the wires neatly, few slices and jobs a goodun!
Post #460265 4th Oct 2015 10:28am
Arsath

K9F wrote:
You need to use a multimeter or just swap the switch out as a process of elimination, especially with all the experience and issues suffered by so many people with the very same switch. A multimeter will check to see if it is working electrically a visible check does not in a lot of cases. As you have a switch being short of time is no excuse. Twice you have asked if you are missing something....The thing that is obvious is that you should check things properly or swap it out before moving on and perhaps seeking another resolution? Swap the switch regardless and if it still doesn't work find someone with a multimeter and the skills that can assist in diagnosing exactly what is wrong, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so. I still suspect your column switch has overheated and the pin has sunk into it's mounting on the board.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Bow down point well taken sir,,
Post #460318 4th Oct 2015 1:57pm
K9F

Please get back when you find out what the issue was. As stated 'Good Luck' but with the right method and tooling I doubt you'll need it!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #460327 4th Oct 2015 2:35pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi All
I had this happen to me today ... for the second time in the 7 yrs I've owned the vehicle
last time it was the short on/off switch -easy to change out and I know what caused it to go ...
The time before it was the longer indictor/high/low/horn stalk - but that was done at a dealers so not sure what is involved.

so questions -
First - which one is it likely to be? (long or short )
side and rear lights all work fine, main beam comes on when long stalk pulled back to flash, but no dipped or main beam when lights are supposed to be on ...(. not checked the bulbs yet but will do before pulling everything to bits ... )

if its the long stalk - is it a searing wheel off job or a matter of removing the trim and replacing the switch ??

many thanks for all your wisdom in this matter !!

Bow down Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #460765 5th Oct 2015 8:12pm
PAT303

Australia 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
miker wrote:
€160 for a few relays and some wire?! I'll build me own thanks. Bit of time spent looming up the wires neatly, few slices and jobs a goodun!
75 pounds and Traxides gear is second to none. Pat
Post #464016 17th Oct 2015 11:53am
Arsath

Hi All,

After three months of waiting.. my electrician (for the car) finally had the time to pay a visit to fix my headlights.. he has found it to be the XPB101290 - SWITCH-INDICATOR/HORN/ HEADLAMP DIP . funnily enough we are yet to fix it, that will have to wait until the end of the month when I travel back to Sri Lanka..
Post #471504 11th Nov 2015 9:19am
Arsath

Finally it is fixed (couple of weeks back), everything is working now. As K9F had pointed out it was the column switch (the one with the indicators and the horn). I am proud to say I managed to change it myself.. Mr. Green .

Now looking to build the loom with the relays.. The thing is this vehicle has started to hurt my wallet a bit.. I guess this is the case with if not everyone most of the people in this forum.. Crying or Very sad
Post #482352 15th Dec 2015 8:36am
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
My Lights Off/side/main (short stalk) failed on Friday. When I arrived home from work I realised the headlights were no longer on, thank heavens they had not failed in the country lanes before I got to streetlights!

I have had to park the fender up since and am using the lads embarrasingly blinged up D1 at the moment to get to work.

OK, so I have just collected from my main dealer, for the princly sum of £140, a brand new switch unit. I wont be able to get to look at the fender until at least this evening.

So just so I can be prepared tonight can anyone give ne the heads up on how to remove the TD5 steering column plastics in advance and how complex it is to actually replace the small stalk.

BTW watched a splendid Heritage 90 leave the show room whilst I was waiting for the parts chap. He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #484769 23rd Dec 2015 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>