↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ads90 wrote:
Roof-mounted lights are not road legal - as I understand it they cannot be wired to come on with the main-beam, but have to be on an independent switch for off-road use only...

That is actually not true - but is a common missunderstanding. The issue *Sometimes* comes from the incorrect use of lights. You cant fit fog lights that high as they are the ONLY lights where there are strict restrictions on the location. The others do not.

You need to look in the construction and use regs and lighting regs - but ring sum it up for you in their installation guide.

Quote:
Thinking of a pair of Light Force 170's but at £190 a pair that is a lot of dosh.

Has anyone tried Roo Lights, and can report on their performance?

I have them - bought because, whilst not cheap by any stretch, they are cheaper than lightforce and i find it difficult to spot the design differencies. They are fantastic lights - a few personal niggles, but thats personal not a reflection (no pun Very Happy ) on the kit.

My favourite was WARN but 2 issues - they couldnt be mounted the way i required (well the ones i wanted couldnt) and they apparently are a little more destructable - ignoring cost again. But still my favourite.

I have the Vision Plus bulbs in the disco and the halfords "whatever" top bulbs in the 90 and the halford ones are brighter. But the vision plus are still better than standard.

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of mounting the lights on the grille vs a bar above the windscreen?

Roof lights have advantages over grill lights, particularily when off roading as they illuminate the drops/ditches etc - they do cast glare onto the bonnet ... unless you take action, which there are severl options (i wont go into here) including some purpose desgined lights.

Grill lights give you a little better range and throw light differently, which for driving can be useful

They both have there place...of course you then go into the types of pattern and throw (eg reflector/lense!)

Finally (sorry for the post - i like this topic)

Clear form

I had these on my old 90 and they do make a big difference - i didnt believe it until i had to replace the leaking old units so got these for a few pounds more...they were better - toying with getting them again, especially coupled to the uprated bulbs.

I havent fully tried the different loom - i have heard it can help in some vehicles, although its marginal and benefits can be had with just keeping contacts clean as it moves though its life.

Finally Finally Whistle uprated bulbs...now they are illegal...but you shouldnt be dazzling people! Mike

Last edited by mse on 19th Nov 2009 6:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #18315 13th Nov 2009 6:34pm
lornick

Scotland 1988 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Bulb up-grade
Hi,

I've just fitted some new headlight bulbs to the Puma and they make a big difference on un-lit roads. They came from Halfords and are meant to be 90% brighter, which may be stretching it a little.........but they are an improvement.

HOWEVER - call it coincidence, but now when I put my full beam on my radio crackles with interference, to a point where I can't hear it anymore!!

I'll change them back at the weekend and see if that fixes it.
Post #18433 16th Nov 2009 9:51pm
discocuzzy

England 
Pete, challenger 4x4 in tongham do some HID kits starting at £100.00 ish, get the best you can get plus the wipac chrystal lenses and hey presto.....D3 lights, kepp your old ones for mot time, 15 mins swap time Thumbs Up

Law,,,,,bah humbug mse You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #18439 16th Nov 2009 10:56pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
MSE - thanks for the post. It's always good to learn from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I'm not going to be doing night expeditions so it's really for when I'm driving around (perhaps negotiating the last few hundred yards back into the field etc).

I guess, from what you've said, front-mounted lights would probably be better.

I assume I'll need a bar (soft A-bar?) to mount them too. They might look a bit odd floating in the grille. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18616 19th Nov 2009 2:49pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
alantd wrote:
MSE - thanks for the post. It's always good to learn from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I'm not going to be doing night expeditions so it's really for when I'm driving around (perhaps negotiating the last few hundred yards back into the field etc).

I guess, from what you've said, front-mounted lights would probably be better.

I assume I'll need a bar (soft A-bar?) to mount them too. They might look a bit odd floating in the grille.

No trouble

Some good spots on a soft a bar will see you fine - JE do some really nice recessed ones - but they are £££. My pet issue at the minute is getting them lined up for my liking...

here is the ring summary:

Click image to enlarge
 Mike
Post #18633 19th Nov 2009 6:29pm
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
I have these http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H4-Bixeno...n-Kit.html and they work very well.

Previously I tried three sets from xenonlightshop.co.uk and the end result was a full refund, but it took Court threats,

The HIDS4U ones are easy to wire in, taking the power from the existing cables, whereas the other ones had to be re-wired completely.

I have theWipac crystal lenses from devon 4x4 and am very pleased with both the performance and the look!

Hope this helps BB Thumbs Up 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #18635 19th Nov 2009 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12