Home > Td5 > Defender 300tdi to TD5 conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chewy7

Australia 
Defender 300tdi to TD5 conversion
Hi folks,
I'm looking at removing my 300TDI and installing a TD5 Automatic out of a discovery 2, 2000 model. I've got the complete Disco 2 i bought as a wreck.

Has anyone done the conversion? and have any tips or guideance?

The way i see it:

- I will require a TD5 Defender ECU/Wiring harness
- Bolt on the gearbox to the factory locations to obtain the engine mount locations then weld them on.
- Compushift ECU for the gearbox.

What else will i need?

Can i run the discovery Radiator? How about the A/C?

I'm looking at buying a wiriing harness/ECU from ebay UK, So if anyone of you guys could point me towards a trustworthy guy to send them across the pond (Im in Australia). That would be awesome!

Cheers,
Shane
Post #236751 19th May 2013 5:50am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Having built two Td5 rovers (a 90 and 110) and done the wiring on a friends tomcat Td5, I'll give you my 2p's worth.

As the Td5 is old enough now to find plenty of (non stolen) bits on ebay and various breakers, you can fairly easily just "build" the whole thing up with used parts, instead of trying to convert the existing stuff.

You'll need a defender bulkhead loom, with the speedo/dash pod, and wiper motor. the indicator stalks are the same (plug) as 300Tdi, and so is the heater motor. you'll also need (if you want to keep it "factory") the LH and RH wing wiring looms, which plug into th main bulkhead harness (unlike the 300 which is all one piece, although the very last of the 300's may be plug in, not 100% sure), you could chop the plugs off and solder up the wing looms if its easier, as they're not that common second hand, and the LH one is quite expensive as it has the plugs on for the alarm units too.

Engine loom, you'll need the defender one. easy to convert a discovery engine though, just swap the looms over. not 100% sure if the auto disco engine has different turbo boost actuator than the defender though.

Rear chassis loom. this runs the lights and fuel pump (in tank type on Td5's). again, probably easier to get one complete than faff about modifying the 300 one.

As the donor disco is an auto, it'll probably (if its got the later flashable ECU) have an NNN000130, which is auto disco, can't be reflashed to defender spec (you'll need an NNN000120 or NNN500020 for that) or an earlier defender MSB 1011171

under the bonnet you'll need the Td5 water header tank (round type), radiator and intercooler. think the main rad is totally different shape to a defender, although with some cutting & shutting of the brackets it may be possible to make it fit. i'm not sure. intercooler is the same though.

Exhaust downpipe is the same on disco and defender, and you can cobble together the rear sections.

The 300Tdi gearbox crossmember can be used for the R380 manual box (i've got one on my 90), but I don't know about the autos, not sure where the mounts live on those. so for mine, i bolted in the crossmember, fitted the engine & box together, bolted the engine chassis mounts to the engine and lowered it to the correct height on the crane and then tack welded them on, them removed engine and welded up properly.

you'll also need the Td5 fuel pipes & filter, and plastic tank. pretty easy to convert the pre Td5 crossmember to take the Td5 tank (PM me your email and i'll send some pics over)

engine ECU lives under the RH seat on a little shelf. if you want to keep it factory then this thing bolts in (I've got one here if you want it) otherwise just make up a shelf.

that's pretty much about it I think.

shout if you need more info.

cheers

Thumbs Up
Post #236884 19th May 2013 6:05pm
chewy7

Australia 
Thank you Jim!! That's exactly what i was looking for!!! Much Appreciated!!
Post #237171 20th May 2013 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1