↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Planning to buy. Need some guidance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Planning to buy. Need some guidance
Hi I have been looking for a 110 utility for a few weeks now and with a budget of 20k cannot go for a brand new one or indeed anything newer than 08.
I have however found a real nice one for my price range but have a couple of concerns that maybe you more knowledgable types can help with.

Click image to enlarge

Looks pretty don't it.

Click image to enlarge

But the engine bay looks filthy. Is this the aftermath of a failed fuel pump valve or hard use? 29000 miles on an 08 plate

And I am worried about the damage to the SUMP??

Click image to enlarge

Couple of vids with the engine running

Any advice greatly appreciated

Oh and a pic of our TD5 CSW with kids Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #18040 9th Nov 2009 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
I think the sign says it all on the side Thumbs Up
id be wondering why the sump has a bang and the engine bay is so filthy but this is only my opinion. NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #18041 9th Nov 2009 5:09pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Nice one fekete.
I'm suprised the water bottle looks so cruddy but the rest of the engine bay looks ok from the pics. If the sump isn't the revised version land rover should replace it free of charge even though the dammage is not from the propshaft. With that mileage i wouldn't pay that much, shop around and don't be afraid to travel afar to find the right one at the right price. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #18044 9th Nov 2009 6:08pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
The sump looks like the old one to me so it'll get replaced under warranty. One bash wouldn't indicate a life of misery anyway - that can happen on one trip.

Your only real concern is whether it has had a hard life. To cover 29k in 15 months it will have had to spend most of its time on the motorway. It'll pick up quite a lot of crud from that - especially over last winter when the roads were salted. Mine was pretty grubby after only a few k.

Even if it has been off road a few times, that shouldn't be an issue - it's that they're built for. It can't have spend too much time off road and still covered that mileage. So long as everything works (and it hasn't therefore been drowned) then there shouldn't be an issue. Make sure it has had its 24k service (change fluids) and then there's not much else that can be affected in a 1 year old vehicle.

It might be worth checking a few hard to reach places - top of the chassis; behind the lights; outriggers; transmission brake. They'll give you some indication of whether it has spent a long time immersed in mud. Most of the filth in the engine bay looks to be road dirt and not mud (which you'd see in all the connectors and corners).

I'm not sure if any of the mess comes from a failed vacuum pump - normally that's quite localised on the RHS of the engine bay.

There are quite a few vehicles out there and more arriving all the time. You won't ever find a perfect one (I'm not sure there's a perfect Defender anywhere) so have a look at a couple and decide whether it drives OK. If it does, then at that age it should be as good as any other. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #18056 9th Nov 2009 9:45pm
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi thanks for the input.

The high mileage is down to its one careful owner commuting between Liverpool and Yorkshire so its probably never been past 30mph Smile

I was hoping 18k might secure a sale then I got 2k and whatever I get from my 02 Navara to buy some toys.
Loose the silver checkerplate and replace with black. A black SVX grille and light surround, NAS rear bumper mantec snorkle, mantec load guard, swingaway wheel bracket (so I can hitch caravan on without opening back door Rolling with laughter ) P&P Rollcage with roofrack. Oh and a waxoil.

Have I any dosh left Whistle
Post #18085 10th Nov 2009 12:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Humm,
The damage in the sump look to be at the other side of the typical propeller damage, I didnt see the propeller at this side or I“m wrong?

here is a new one to compare

Click image to enlarge

Cheers

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #18099 10th Nov 2009 6:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Looks to me like the engine has been dragged across a floor. Has it been removed for some reason and replaced Question
Post #18101 10th Nov 2009 6:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1