Home > Td5 > Tuning my TD5.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Tuning my TD5.
Hi all,

I want to release a little more 'oomph' from my 110, but not at the expense of longevity or reliability.

I understand there are several key things to address:

1)Charge density - via intercooler/air intakes
2)Exhaust flow rate - Decat/straight through.
3)Remap ECU to provide optimum fueling.

Now,
1) I have the Mantec 'Plastic Jobby'. Unfortunately, as I understand, this is about the worst thing I could possibly have in terms of performance, but I am not in a position to remove it (damn you previous owner!). Will this limit my potential air flow and subsequent gains via intercooling?
2)I have a very good friend who builds exhausts for V8's and drag cars - was thinking to ask him for a quote for a system. Or would it be more cost effective to buy an off the shelf system (I was thinking a stainless system)
3)As I understand, it would be best to do the above modifications first, then have the ECU remapped to take these into account.

My engine has 116000 miles on it, and since 88000, has been serviced between every 6000 miles and 12000, generally the 6k mark though. (Oil, centrifuge, air and fuel filters, fresh engine oil, and axles etc topped up).
EGR is blanked.
I also run a GKN overdrive (although currently experiencing some issues with slip - I believe wear and tear)

Now, I do not require a tyre mangling, ferrari wrangling, half-shaft wringing machine, but rather a smooth powerful Defender with the ability to pull trailers now and then, travel with reasonable economy (I.e. over24mpg) and occasionally raise an eyebrow/smile.

I look to you good gentlemen and women, especially the likes of IRB, Alive and BAS, as I've seen what you folks are capable of, but will listen to all of you. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I look forward to your input, and thank you in advance.
Post #234786 12th May 2013 12:34am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Re: Tuning my TD5.
appaloosadude wrote:
I want to release a little more 'oomph' from my 110, but not at the expense of longevity or reliability.

Reminds me of a film ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxHYHPzs7s

The td5 IS the best sounding land rover diesel engine and has been around for a few years now, so the td5 alive and BAS peeps have lots of good experience tuning them.

IMHO If you are going to do it properly then start at the intercooler, inlet manifold, turbo, exhaust manifold (so many people has issues with the exhaust manifold), exhaust pipe system and engine mapping. Sounds like a lot of £ but compare that to having the engine out/in/out ... exhaust studs extracted / manifolds fixed might not be too bad and you will have upgraded the whole system rather that cause weak points by upgrading part of it.
Post #234792 12th May 2013 6:39am
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
Like BPman says I would defiantly replace the studs in the exhaust manifold to some better quality ones if you haven't already, mine did last about 20,000m before going though since the tune. Mines running the Irb/BAS VNT stage 2 so about 190bhp but 300ft of torque. To drive its much nicer no turbo lag no need to rev it and will sit at 65mph all day in top with overdrive (only 2000rpm) no need to change down going up long climbs (I drive it to Italy last year) far more relaxed. Stage 2 is an inter cooler & remap I already had a straight through stainless exhaust. As far as the RAI I'm going to put a vent on the side of mine next to the original, & make a cover to seal it when it's needed.
Post #234801 12th May 2013 8:22am
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Some very good advice there, I did forget to mention that any spending must not result in a divorce... so I think up to £750ish. I appreciate that rules out a VNT, and I might have to do it in a few stages. I wonder if any sponsors can offer a package...

On the air intake side, I'd considered plumbing a T-piece up to the right hand wingtop vent, and having a removable sealed vent cover, for those times when its needed.
Post #234807 12th May 2013 9:16am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
If you want to keep the RAI you could always remove the cyclone type filter that is in the intake air pipe near the air filter. Apparently a bit of a pig to do but I do know somebody who has done it and he has said it makes an amazing difference Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #234811 12th May 2013 9:25am
Luismi

Spain 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Hopefully the guys working on this do not forget about the TD5 and now that they develop a new puma Map they come with a TD5 Map even better
100 CC more and 1 cilinder more have to be noticeable.
of course VNT to match the conditions
Come on Pete
Post #234828 12th May 2013 10:35am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I've did a similar thing on my 110.

Started with stock engine whilst I built it and bedded it in. Then fitted an allisport boost box and intercooler. I also had a 170bhp engine tune file which ran OK but wasn't brilliant (although I think it was due to a faulty MAF)

When I built the thing, i made a "freeflow" exhaust for it... standard Td5 downpipe, and I had the remains of a stainless Rimmer bros sports 110 system I had on an old V8 hicap, so i fitted that. It sounded nice, not too noisy etc.

Then later on i got an IRB VGT turbo, and Ian did a deal with me also for his/BAS 190bhp tune. those two go very well together, and it pulls seamlessly from a standstill. I've also fitted a 1.2:1 t/box.

Last year I ditched the sports exhaust and fitted a standard Td5 system back on, and to be honest I didn't notice any reduction in performance, just a reduction in noise! Thumbs Up

One thing I did do that seemed to make a bit of difference (done this to the 90 and 110) is to remove the cyclone fan thing from the airbox, and seal all the other holes up in the air box (although this is for waterproofness, not performance)

I've got a snorkel on the 110, and if i'm doing any great road distance, I just remove the pipe from the snorkel under the bonnet, which helps it breath a bit more.

I'm going to do similar things with the project90 too, i've got the boostbox and intercooler on it already, just need a flashable ECU now.
Post #234831 12th May 2013 10:42am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
A
What sort of package are you after a ice stage 1 with better breathing or a stage 2 taking you to the 180hp realms !

Both very good tunes and are Bas tunes supplied by myself

Is your car a air con model if so would need a air con build intercooler which is actually 5 mm thinner

Any other questions let me know

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #234962 12th May 2013 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Luismi wrote:
Hopefully the guys working on this do not forget about the TD5 and now that they develop a new puma Map they come with a TD5 Map even better
100 CC more and 1 cilinder more have to be noticeable.
of course VNT to match the conditions
Come on Pete

They will revisit all tuning give him time Thumbs Up 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #234963 12th May 2013 7:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Postmanpat

Ireland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
bob neville wrote:
If you want to keep the RAI you could always remove the cyclone type filter that is in the intake air pipe near the air filter. Apparently a bit of a pig to do but I do know somebody who has done it and he has said it makes an amazing difference Thumbs Up

Bob

is that the part that drains the water ? Postmanpat
Post #237401 21st May 2013 9:44am
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I am running intercooler and alive map swapped over from a 90. Did run a hybrid turbo until it gave out on the m5 so back to standard which is much better as less turbo lag and more drivable (although sometimes less fun as no sledgehammer in the back)

I am now running a disco box and as a do a reasonable amount of towing thinking I will get a IRB VNT once I have some pennies.

I don't think you have to go for a full turbo upgrade to get a good driving 110, mine drives great now just could do with a little more low down when 3 t on the back and once you start you always want more! Don't get a hybrid like I had for drivability good fun a shed loads of power but can catch you out a junctions and the standards a much better all round drive.
Post #237536 21st May 2013 6:08pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I agree, the VNT from IRB is good, nice smooth power delivery. I suspect the fact that you've got a 1.2 t/box makes it lose out a bit when towing the heavy loads until you get going.

On my 110, especially when i've got the 255/85s on, i just slip into low range on a steep pullaway. then pop into high. sorts it out no probs then Thumbs Up
Post #237541 21st May 2013 6:23pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Postmanpat wrote:

is that the part that drains the water ?

Think it is there to keep rubbish from going into the air box, I suppose that could include water.

I am struggling to find a picture of it but I will persevere Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #237544 21st May 2013 6:37pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I got use to using low box when I had my disco just a pain sometimes. I seam to have a flat spot just on take off only noticeable under load, was there before the new box just now more noticeable. Could be the map but I took it to irb's rolling road day and nothing showed on the print out so probably my driving!

Anyhow need a excuse to upgrade for work is the best Thumbs Up
Post #237559 21st May 2013 7:32pm
Postmanpat

Ireland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
bob neville wrote:
Postmanpat wrote:

is that the part that drains the water ?

Think it is there to keep rubbish from going into the air box, I suppose that could include water.

I am struggling to find a picture of it but I will persevere Thumbs Up

Bob

pic be great Bob Thumbs Up thanks Eddy Postmanpat
Post #237567 21st May 2013 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>