↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Good power, starter cranks, no start...need a lifeline
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rutlandtravels

1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Rutland Red
Good power, starter cranks, no start...need a lifeline
Gents, last week I picked up a 1998 110 300tdi, 76k miles, very clean, 2 prior owners. Passed MOT. Drove her from Leeds to Napoli and planning to take her to the States. The madden voyage of 1600 miles went off without a hiccup. Parked at home in Naples and two days later went to move her and she wouldn't start. Position II on ignition lights up the dash, but nothing happens at III. At that time I got a flashing engine light...which went away after checking starter relay and disconnecting/reconnecting the ignition wire at the starter motor. All signs were pointing towards immobilization given the flashing red light in the dash. Certainly possible I had an errant locking/unlocking sequence. Two original fobs are operable, yet even the EKA attempts have failed. Disconnected power for 20min, checked fuses/relays. Today I've gotten her to crank by shorting the starter motor, but she won't fire. Positive news the starter is working, yet, I am at a loss as to my next step. Fuel pump? Solenoid?

The big problem seemed to be faulty immobilization, and I'd concluded I just have to take her to a professional to do that whole bypass bit. It is indeed the original "spider" under the passenger seat and green box behind the dash. Alas, I can't even "jump starter" her to get to a shop! She cranks, but won't fire - How can I solve that issue?

With great humility, I'll take any advice I can get. The endless youtube vids and forum discussions have gotten me this far, but I need a systematic approach to properly diagnose the problem.
Post #1031394 13th Apr 2024 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1