↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Gear ratio's on a 90....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I don't think the overdrive is for me to be honest, another knob in the front to fiddle with?!! Rolling with laughter
Post #233669 7th May 2013 10:33pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
On a side note... Are Barbell-Jim and Diesel-Jim related?

Well I ain't ginger Whistle I play with fish and Jim with diesel Laughing Laughing Laughing

Try Dynamat Paul. Total cost will be about £400 for a H/T. Cheaper than transfer box and makes a real difference Thumbs Up If you don't have air con you will probably find a 48mm hole in passenger footwell. Putting a blind grommet in there will make a big difference Thumbs Up
Post #233775 8th May 2013 1:16pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I have just got mine back from havering a 1.2 transfer box fitted and its first job was to pick up some stone I grossed on the weigh bridge at over 5mt and she pulled fine no low box. It was fairly flat and I run standard 235 but I would say go for it it its so much better. Having said that I wouldn't do it on a non turned defender if I was towing.

In town I have found it better as well as not having to work the gears (first to second to first) hoping will be slightly better on fuel as well but only time will tell.
Post #233841 8th May 2013 6:33pm
Lambley

Sphere wrote:
I have just got mine back from havering a 1.2 transfer box fitted and its first job was to pick up some stone I grossed on the weigh bridge at over 5mt and she pulled fine no low box. It was fairly flat and I run standard 235 but I would say go for it it its so much better. Having said that I wouldn't do it on a non turned defender if I was towing.

In town I have found it better as well as not having to work the gears (first to second to first) hoping will be slightly better on fuel as well but only time will tell.

Thanks Sphere, please keep me posted to how it goes, an update after you've driven it for a week would be great if poss. And thanks for all of the replies folks, you're not a bad bunch really! Thumbs Up
Post #233965 9th May 2013 5:53am
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I had Ashcrofts fit a 1.2 ratio box fitted last week to my 2003 td5 hardtop and it's definitely quieter, feels smoother and mpg seems to have improved.

No problem at all in pulling away and it's added 10 mph to comfortable cruising speed. I've got 750 x 16s on.

Very quick process. You take it to their appointed garage (i went to a nice fella in Markyate) and a couple of hours later, it's done.

Would recommend it.
Post #233994 9th May 2013 8:10am
Lambley

Macpaul wrote:
I had Ashcrofts fit a 1.2 ratio box fitted last week to my 2003 td5 hardtop and it's definitely quieter, feels smoother and mpg seems to have improved.

No problem at all in pulling away and it's added 10 mph to comfortable cruising speed. I've got 750 x 16s on.

Very quick process. You take it to their appointed garage (i went to a nice fella in Markyate) and a couple of hours later, it's done.

Would recommend it.
Thanks Macpaul, sounds like your pleased with it, I think I'll go ahead, I didn't know that Ashcrofts had appointed garages that were able to do the work too, did you have a complete transfer box swap or the internals fitted to yours? I want to keep the original casings because of the low miles.
Post #234052 9th May 2013 12:05pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Paul,
Book it all through Ashcrofts. You can either take them your transfer box and they will change the gears or as stated one of their approved fitting centers will take out your box, ship to Ashcrofts for the gears to be swooped and then refit your box simples Thumbs Up IIRC gears only was £210 and whole job £750 there prices I think are on there web site
Post #234057 9th May 2013 12:38pm
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
yobbie wrote:
Mechanical as an extra gear lever it's a Roverdrive now known as Roamerdrive.

Hi Yobbie

I have been interested in an roverdrive too and have been hoping to chat to folk with them. Obviously with the 28% gearing there will be an improvemrnt in economy so have you noticed any significant change in fuel consumption?

At £1400 a pop I am trying to work out what the payback time might be before trying to argue the considerable advantages with she who holds the purse strings Big Cry

Aftter towing a Disco 1 on a trailer up Coal Hill Lane in Leeds last weekend I had to drop finally to 1st gear as the TD5 ran out of oomph!.

Then on the long aul back to London there were several long uphill sections on the M1 where 4th was required so the transfer box gearing change is not an option.

Besides, a Defender looks lacking with only 2 gear levers compared to a Series with 4 He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #234093 9th May 2013 2:31pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Re: Gear ratio's on a 90....
Lambley wrote:
Thinking of getting Ashcroft to swap the gear ratios to 1.2 from the standard 1.4, I've had a tune for more torque etc, and it runs very well now, not done 25k yet so it's still a nice fresh engine.
There are a few posts saying that it will improve motorway driving and makes it quieter (!!) but how about general 'round town' driving, will 1st gear become like puling away in 2nd, and will it put extra stress on the engine in the long run? Anyone done it with good results?

I had mine done from new 13 years ago and 110k miles. basically an exchange unit.

it has been a dream compared to the other 90 same year that we have which we use for short tips only now.

motorway cruising man Thumbs Up

cc
Post #234110 9th May 2013 3:30pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Lambley wrote:
Macpaul wrote:

Would recommend it.
Thanks Macpaul, sounds like your pleased with it, I think I'll go ahead, I didn't know that Ashcrofts had appointed garages that were able to do the work too, did you have a complete transfer box swap or the internals fitted to yours? I want to keep the original casings because of the low miles.

I went for a new transfer box as the difference in price is quite small - £140 or so I think but if you have low mileage then yes, absolutely. Mine had done 85,000 miles so it was a no brainer.

Internals may take longer to do possibly. Mine was just box out, box in.

I think they only have two appointed garages http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/in...mp;docId=2

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Post #234200 9th May 2013 7:38pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Now I have to think again. Mine I am sure was nearer £500. S it might have been a new gearbox with disco ratio gears.
That will take some finding out being so long ago.
Cc
Post #234202 9th May 2013 7:46pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
megatoad wrote:
yobbie wrote:
Mechanical as an extra gear lever it's a Roverdrive now known as Roamerdrive.

Hi Yobbie

I have been interested in an roverdrive too and have been hoping to chat to folk with them. Obviously with the 28% gearing there will be an improvemrnt in economy so have you noticed any significant change in fuel consumption?

At £1400 a pop I am trying to work out what the payback time might be before trying to argue the considerable advantages with she who holds the purse strings Big Cry

Aftter towing a Disco 1 on a trailer up Coal Hill Lane in Leeds last weekend I had to drop finally to 1st gear as the TD5 ran out of oomph!.

Then on the long aul back to London there were several long uphill sections on the M1 where 4th was required so the transfer box gearing change is not an option.

Besides, a Defender looks lacking with only 2 gear levers compared to a Series with 4

Mega toad, difficult to justify the overdrive although they were just over £1000 when I got mine but my thinking was if I sold the Defender I could remove it an recoup some of the cost. I originally had a GKN fitted when I bought mine but the speed sensor played up and as I didn't travel on the motorway much I thought I didn't need one, so sold it. After a short trip on the motorway without one I wanted one again! The revs at 60mph are only 2000rpm compared to nearer 3000 without, so much quieter & relaxed as well as less engine wear. I wouldn't say the fuel saving is massive but difficult for me to say as I never really traveled any distance without it. I travel to N London/Herts so next time I'm that way in the Defender I can take you for a spin if you want to see for yourself?
Post #234221 9th May 2013 8:31pm
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
That would be great Yobbie, PM me when you are next up here. the wife used to spend all hers holidays on the island and her best friend lives in Shanklin. We are probably going to take tha caravan down there this summer.

I loved the old Fairy overdrives I had one on my S11a safari and one on my 72 Range Rover. could do with one for the 80" as well.

Ironically there is a thread going on at the moment about a GKN and the speed sensor. After all I have read about them I am not sure that they are really up to Land Rovers. http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20322.html

If, as they say, it is based the old laycock as use. in cars of the 70's I recall when my brother and I found one in a Volvo 264 in a scrap yard, we removed it with the box and propshaft to put in his 145 .

After a couple of hours work it almost all went in with ease, until we found that the flanges for the prop and diff were different !!!

So we had to take it all back out and pop the original transmission back in as it was his daily drive. Never got round to getting the prop sorted before the 145 got written off by some pillock in a Sierra in Bradford. He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #234251 9th May 2013 9:51pm
Lambley

So, next question, how easy is it to fit a transfer box from a 300tdi /Td5 disco with 1.2 gearing to a Td5 Defender ?
I've heard there's some drilling involved?
Is it a simple DIY swap?
Post #234853 12th May 2013 12:23pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Simple DIY swap.

The only drilling is for older boxes, a couple of holes need to be drilled (and tapped) for the handbrake bracket, but the 300s and Td5 boxes, the handbrake just uses the normal 4 large bolts and the cable goes directly into the back of the anchor plate.

Takes between an hour and 2 to swap one over.
Post #234870 12th May 2013 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>