↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Anyone thinking of a trip to Iceland ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve bull

If you need any help I work for an expedition company that knows Iceland really well. We have an in country agent who also does tours in his TD5 (huge ) tyres.

www.bullexpeditions.com
Post #239571 29th May 2013 9:42pm
keith

Scotland 
Thanks for the info . We will be going nxt Easter and all info is much appreciated .
Post #239648 30th May 2013 10:30am
adseybear

Canada 
We flew over and hired a 4x4, the best driving holiday I've done to date, you'll love it over there. Spent a week touring the southern parts of the island.

Still have routes, map, roadbook etc. if you need any info.

My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adseybear1990...489246348/ 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green - "Betty"
1958 Series IIA 109 Station Wagon - "Randolph" - Awaiting Restoration
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - SOLD
2006 Volvo V70 D5 - Ocean Race Edition, SOLD
2003 VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI - SOLD
2008 BMW 320D M Sport Estate - SOLD
2001 Defender 90 Td5 Hard Top - SOLD
Post #245867 23rd Jun 2013 12:27pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
adseybear - the pictures look great, it's a place I've fancied going for ages, I'd like to take my son too. Would you recommend flying again or taking your own vehicle? When would be a good time of year to go? My son is 13 so I'd have to go during school holidays if possible. Where did you fly from/to? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm hopeless at planning a trip, I'd be ok on my own but when kids are involved it's a different kettle of fish! Cheers
Post #245908 23rd Jun 2013 3:33pm
adseybear

Canada 
Depends on how much time you have I guess, I've promised myself I'll be back, and really hope to be able to take my defender over next time, but thats just a personal thing.

Flying, you can be there same day, and have a 4x4 by the afternoon. We used one of the pre-planned trips using one of the companies offering this service, but I could give you the route, hotels etc. and save you the expense.

We flew into Rekyjavik, car hire company, first hotel were all there, and then just followed the route each day, with stops and the various points of interest eventually ending up at a different hotel each night.

I know what you mean, im useless at planning trips and this is probably why we went the company, was just myself and my dad.

This is what we did:

http://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/travel-de...afari/183/

Fire away with any questions Smile

Forgot to say, we went october time, not too cold, not hot etc. all the roads were clear, no problems driving the highland roads in a boggo american 4x4, just a few river crossings to deal with. 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green - "Betty"
1958 Series IIA 109 Station Wagon - "Randolph" - Awaiting Restoration
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - SOLD
2006 Volvo V70 D5 - Ocean Race Edition, SOLD
2003 VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI - SOLD
2008 BMW 320D M Sport Estate - SOLD
2001 Defender 90 Td5 Hard Top - SOLD
Post #246088 23rd Jun 2013 9:15pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
^^^ That looks stunning, just what I'm after. Thanks for the link, I'll be contacting them soon.
Cheers, Paul
Post #246318 24th Jun 2013 6:13pm
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Are people still considering this Iceland trip for next year? Its been a long time wish of me and my wifes to get over there. We have two kids who would be 4 and 3 next summer, do you think this is perhaps just a bit too young for this kind of trip? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #267619 18th Sep 2013 10:31am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'd have to say it's essentially a driving holiday where getting from A to B is just as much of the holiday as being in A or B. So it's long days in the vehicle if you plan on seeing as much ofthe country as possible.

Also, many stops will be in very basic or even zero facility sites, so it depends what your kids are used to.

Finally, many of the sights to see are very raw physical things - dangerous for an ill prepared adult and not really appropriate for small children. Iceland has a very different approach to health & safety. In the UK you would see a sign saying no entry - danger of death but there it would say be careful people have died!

For me, I'd say no.
Post #267660 18th Sep 2013 12:52pm
Little Tom

Thanks Supacat, I appreciate the reply. I was thinking perhaps too much too soon for them myself. I will have to get some more European excusions under the belt first. Dont really fancy losing a kid in a volcano... well not when they are behaving anyways. Wink Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #267664 18th Sep 2013 1:31pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Tom,
Go now before the economey picks up again!

we took a 5 day trip to Iceland and visted all the main spots on the south end of the Island with a rental car (Sad Cars)
it was out of season and very cheap compaird to the main season. (we saw all the bits on the golden circle route etc..)

We can really recomend the trip and we had lots of time to stand and stare - the majority of the sites are free to visit, the Weather is always changable - so be prepared.( it got a 12 out of 10 from us! )
take a pack lunch if you go out of season as the cafes are un-relaiable.

We're going to do a trip again and go north and inland a bit with a rental 4x4 to do some of the more interesting areas some time in the next 12 -18 months, camping.... . we looked at taking our own 110 but the cost was so high that we could rent some thing for a fraction of the price! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #267671 18th Sep 2013 1:58pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Hi Tom,
I'd agree with Wyvern and say go for it. You don't have to do the full blown expedition style off road trip to see 80+% of what Iceland has to offer. We took 3 defenders up there when the ferry was still affordable but most of what we saw was doable in any car. 
Post #267679 18th Sep 2013 2:13pm
keith

Scotland 
Tom
Yes i am going with wife and 2 kids ( at last ) 4 & 6yrs . I started this topic with the same outlook as you , wanting to go for yrs , lookin in to taking own car , are the kids to wee ? Thanks to all the forum help and info have now got everything i need including some very informative PMs . Its the Easter hols for us so probably 7-9 nights mid to late April . My last defender even sold to someone in Iceland . Your welcome to come along and make it a joint effort and holiday . Any other family's interested also welcom . Waw a forum holiday to Iceland . I have put it off for 3 yrs .My kids cant wait .
Post #267688 18th Sep 2013 2:58pm
Little Tom

Nice one Keith, PM sent Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #267700 18th Sep 2013 4:21pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Keith - very jealous!!! I would love to take my Defender to Iceland, but wont be for another couple of years. I have just embarked on a career change and need to get settled again.
Post #267782 18th Sep 2013 10:49pm
keith

Scotland 
I'm not taking Defender , no ferry from here any more . It Goes from Denmark . So will do the car hire at a good price .
Post #267783 18th Sep 2013 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>