↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Sunroof's (Puma Only)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Sunroof's (Puma Only)
Yes I know every 90/110 your uncle had as a lad had a leaky sunroof, yes I have heard all the defender water jokes before, but serious question is has anyone actually had any issues with their Puma roof?

I like the idea of the light it provides.

Test drive booked for Monday.
Post #17304 27th Oct 2009 4:47pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Sunroof's (Puma Only)
TallPaul wrote:
Yes I know every 90/110 your uncle had as a lad had a leaky sunroof, yes I have heard all the defender water jokes before, but serious question is has anyone actually had any issues with their Puma roof?

I like the idea of the light it provides.

Test drive booked for Monday.

as long as the sunroof has been fitted correctly it should be fine. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #17306 27th Oct 2009 4:56pm
discocuzzy

England 
Paul, dont bother mate, why risk it!!!..you get decent air con in the xs anyway and station wagon has plenty of light Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #17311 27th Oct 2009 5:56pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Cause I like the natural light?

And with economy drop from current car averaging 44mpg who says I can afford to turn the aircon on?! Laughing
Post #17312 27th Oct 2009 6:15pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I'm with you on this one Paul, i wish that i had a sunroof. I don't seem to have noticed a sunroof on a puma so i'm not sure the factory fit them as a standard item any more. I might consider fitting one after the warranty has run out, loads of companies sell them. By the way i've never had a leaky defender sunroof but both my disco ones leaked. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #17323 27th Oct 2009 7:38pm
Cannonball

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
My 2008 110 came from the factory with comfort pack of sunroof, heated front screen and heated front seats supplied, without being ordered. Did a split deal with LR and dealer and kept it as I didn't want to wait another 3 months for delivery. I agree that a sunroof is not necessary with aircon and I'm not a great fan of them as they tend to give trouble as the vehicle ages. Having said that there have not been any leaks to date and it does brighten up the cab somewhat.
Post #17333 27th Oct 2009 8:25pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
I think the early models used to come with Sunroof on XS spec, but its no longer standard. Its on the pricelist though so I am assuming you can still get them.

Cannonball - I had same issue on a car about 9 years ago, went to pick it up, looked over it, nipped of to toilets as had been ages driving to dealer came back to car and met family member who was joining me who quickly pointed out it had a sunroof where I ordered none!!! Problem in an Alfa (with electric sunroof like a normal car) is that it lowers the roof lining and being 6'2" less headroom. In defender with cheapo circa 1970's tilit or lift out job no loss of headroom, and loads to start with anyway (i believe they were originally designed so you could drive in your hat as the headroom is very generous!). Made dealer write out a letter saying I would not be retrospectively charged though just to be sure!

tilt & slide can leak, but the tilt only basic ones just sandwich the rubber and until it perishes x many years later I find there is not that much to go wrong usually.

Like the idea of more light and some sky in the summer in any case, I also like the fresh air, although I suppose I will need to master driving with drivers window open to avoid "defender elbow" providing source of fresh air in any case!

Seems to be a lot of Sunroof phobia around?
Post #17348 27th Oct 2009 10:34pm
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I wish my SVX didn't have one. When its 40 deg C in summer I get to find out what a pizza feels like. Air conditioning, you almost pass out by the time the cab is comfortable to drive. Say no to sun roof.

Allan
Post #17379 28th Oct 2009 9:53am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
tall paul - you quote about the 44 mpg -

if like myself you like to watch the pennies I have some good advice (lots of it actually) - try only turning the a/c on when approaching islands, or traffic lights etc this helps to slow the car down and reduces brake while giving the benefit of a/c cooling - great ! Wink
Post #17380 28th Oct 2009 9:57am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Allan - flip side to that is you usually WANT the solar heating in the UK to augment the ambient, rather than not wanting it! Even in summer we struggle to get close to 28c plus here, so its a non issue. For your climate, definitely not great idea I completely agree!

Caterham - not sure that's good for the life of the system, and suspect you have been listening to the F1 commentary on KERRS one to many times? Wink

Does Defender have proper clutch to disengage the air-con pump, or does it run all the time (like a Disco3) thus killing consumption anyway?
Post #17389 28th Oct 2009 11:06am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Another vote FOR the sunroof here!
I have one on my Puma, same as on my last Defender, which at 10yrs old when I sold it had given me zero problems.

Reasons why I would always choose to have one on a Defender (maybe not a normal car): extra sunlight/airiness, views of mountain tops/birds/aircraft etc.(!), checking clearance under low-hanging obstacles in car parks, under trees etc., leaving it open on a hot day to keep the car cool, without too much of a security risk.

Although AC is another of my must-haves, I prefer to leave it switched off and open the sunroof & windows for lower speed driving, then do the reverse on motorways (when it's too hot for the regular fresh air fan to keep up).

I think the compressor does disengage when the AC is off - you do feel the extra pull on the engine when it's on...
As Caterham says, I try to switch it on at least once a week to keep it conditioned - only on long down-hills though!
Post #17413 28th Oct 2009 7:13pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Thanks for feedback Thumbs Up

Sunroof way forward then. Hope to see one when I go for a test drive next week with sunroof that should help final decision.
Post #17416 28th Oct 2009 7:49pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I put a sunroof in my first 90. It was a cheap one from a breaker yard.
It was a flip open type and then you could also take it out complete. Never have done that.
As I put it in myselves I used enough silicon sealer and it never leaked.
I liked it and will probably put one in my current 90 too as soon as I have the normal hardtop on.

Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #17431 29th Oct 2009 9:47am
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes, I have a factory fitted sunroof in my puma 90. I travel back and forth to the south of Spain/Gibraltar and it's great. In the autumn/ winter I don't need the air con just open the sunroof (or remove the glass).
I have also driven through severe storms in Cantabria and I have to report the sunroof has never leaked. It's great to let the sun in (wear a hat/cap in hot climate so you don't get sunburnt)
I love my sunroof wouldn't be without it

'El pepe flamenco' Cool JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #17444 29th Oct 2009 3:16pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Nice to know their still available from LR. Sunroof open, windows down beats aircon in my book. Anyway it's not so hot here so i don't ever use the aircon. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #17452 29th Oct 2009 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>