Home > Technical > Fixed a fuel leak at the rear end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sidler

Netherlands 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Fixed a fuel leak at the rear end
Hi,

This weekend I fixed a fuel leakage and I thought: let's make pictures so it may help people in the future.

I discovered diesel on my MY07 Puma 110 leaking from the rear cross member.

After washing the car, I saw it was actually coming from the diesel tank Confused of course because rear cross members don't hold Diesel

It turned out to be the breather hose that was broken. Actually, it was only leaking with a full tank - that's why. After driving for a year with only a half tank full, I decided it would be better if I could leave on holiday with a full tank. So let's replace the hose. This was easier said than done, because the hose is connected to the filler cap with an easy screw-on hose clamp, and a machine-fitted hose clamp at the other side. After trying to saw or cut the thing, I managed to get it open with a firm hit with a hammer on a tent pole on a screwdriver.

Here are the pictures

Maybe it would have been better to dismantle the tank, because it's really a *** job to replace it from under the wheelarch, but this saved me a lot of time.

Be sure to buy a new hose that is fuel resistant, at some industrial workshop where they maintain generators or boats. They have these hoses.

Now up to the next job: replacing my clutch because it's rattling.
Post #229810 23rd Apr 2013 8:56am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Thanks, I may have the same problem, just been too lazy to find the source of the leak. Did you drop the tank, or were you able to fit the hose while the tank was in place?
Post #231365 29th Apr 2013 10:56am
sidler

Netherlands 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I did it without removing the tank, but it felt like painting your hallway through the letterbox

The clip that fits the hose to the tank is a nasty one, I managed to undo it with a firm hit on a screwdriver that I held against the little 'hump' in the clip so it came open.

Fitting the new hose was also a lot of fiddling, but I warmed up the new hose a bit, tried to stretch it up a bit and put grease on the tube on the tank and that went quite ok.

After all I spent about 2 hours with my head under the wheelarch and my arm disappeared between body and chassis, but I think it saved me a lot of time compared to removing the tow bar, stabilizer, tank protection, tank and mounting it all back again.
Post #231370 29th Apr 2013 11:08am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
you could also just cut the plastic pipe breather just before tank side of the hole/leak/tear and then use a 8mm (IIRC) female to female push fit connector and add another length of pipe on the other side to extend it up to where ever you need it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pneumatic-Push-I...3ccb794a8f Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #231371 29th Apr 2013 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1