↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > My events for the year :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
My events for the year :)
Hi all.

In the spirit of the forum I thought I'd let you all know my plans for the rest of the year, much of which I dare day wouldn't have happened where it not for the forum, it's content and the people I have met on defender2.

First ports of call will be a few of the trade shows, mainly Billing and Peterborough. Looking to see some overland prepped vehicles to get ideas for my little ventures later in the year.

Will also be signing up to the 4x4 adventures summer weekend. Run by the same guys and a few more that headed up the Wales trip that I have attended for the past 2 years. Really looking forward to the wealth of knowledge that is part of this weekend in the Welsh hills and bringing my pen and pad to learn some of the do's and dont's of overlanding as well as how to get my idiot self out of silly situations without crying....I mean the Missus crying and me swearing loudly Embarassed.

First little adventure will be to Ireland in August to show my beloved girlfriend my homeland so expect lots of pics of me in various destinations around there. Will be popping in to the relatives but generally will try and do as much camping as possible to get a feel for the idea. SWMBO is all for it surprisingly after I told her there will be a mattress in the roof tents. Simple pleasures and all that Smile this will be for a week.

Next on the agenda in September is a 2 week stint to break our travelling virginity in the defender. Although I have done some travelling, this will be my first time in a car and the first time the Missus has been out of the UK (passport is currently in the post). We will be heading into France, before heading into Belgium, down to Luxembourg, before heading briefly into Switzerland to Geneva. After this will be back into France and down to Monaco before heading down into Spain and finishing at my dads place in Portugal for a few days. Am tempted to dip my toes into Morocco for a day just to say I've been there as it seems a popular place for defender enthusiasts. After a few days in Portugal will make a straight line dash back to the Ul no doubt with her ladyship sleeping in the passenger seat all the way home. Many pictures of the defender in different backgrounds and not much else (standard fanatic pictures).

Will try and keep this as my central thread for all my shenanigans and welcome all feedback, advise and all else that my fellow forum member can provide as I am pretty green to this all. Will try and get some info of the summer adventure weekend if anyone is interested and in the green predicament that I am in.

Regards

Steve ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #227196 14th Apr 2013 6:14pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Mr. Green Mr. Green Good luck Steve sounds a busy year well whats left of it, gone so quick allready Rolling Eyes CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #227225 14th Apr 2013 6:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure the Defender will be more than capable of it Mr. Green Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #227268 14th Apr 2013 8:00pm
keith

Scotland 
Are there any forum meetings in the near future ? Or another rolling road performance meeting soon ?
Post #227273 14th Apr 2013 8:12pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
Sounds great, few years ago I headed down from France into Switzerland and on to Monaco for the F1, headed back via the Milau bridge. Was a great trip, some 3000miles taking in some great roads, scenery and even drove the Monaco track whilst still closed off and people in grandstands.

Favourite spot to stay was Interlaken in Switzerland, would recommend a stay there if you can. Have a great trip, I did. Having said that mine was in a 2 seat sports car and not the 110.
Post #227278 14th Apr 2013 8:18pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Steve,

One of the most important bit of kit is a bucket.........

Load of common sense, mixed with some good humour.

I think you have got that so go for it.

Brendan
Post #227290 14th Apr 2013 8:48pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the stories Thumbs Up

See you in Wales in the summer Mr. Green Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #227367 15th Apr 2013 8:18am
Lishlandy

Thanks for the words of support guys.

Keith, I'm hoping ther may be another Salisbury Plains trip. Now that i have been a few times I am more confident at finding my way around but wouldn't lead a party around there just yet.

I am at a forum meeting of sorts on Thursday which is being organised by James @ Hadley Green. I think he is going to do some more based on the feedback from initial meeting at LRE Luton Hoo.

This summer event is run by JST, will see if he has a few words on the event as he will no doubt describe it better than me. From the sounds of it and the layout of the event it will be everything I need to cover going out into the world in my Defender and taking on some of the challenges such as getting stuck on my own etc. Big thing I am also looking from this event is safety, which I am assured there wiill be advise on.

a13x. I will make sure and look into going there in the plan, is quite an open plan so should be ok to add that in, thanks for the heads up.

Brendan....apart from the obvious uses are there any special Overlanding uses for your average bucket?

Party Monkey. Will be good to catch up at the summer event, I have a CB to sell you Whistle

regards

Steve ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #227377 15th Apr 2013 9:13am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Have fun Thumbs Up
Post #227392 15th Apr 2013 9:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Lishlandy wrote:

This summer event is run by JST, will see if he has a few words on the event as he will no doubt describe it better than me.
Steve

More Info on the Summer Weekend here Steve

http://www.4x4adventures.co.uk/_main/4x4ad...eekend.htm California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #227491 15th Apr 2013 4:56pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: My events for the year :)
Lishlandy wrote:

Next on the agenda in September is a 2 week stint to break our travelling virginity in the defender. Although I have done some travelling, this will be my first time in a car and the first time the Missus has been out of the UK (passport is currently in the post). We will be heading into France, before heading into Belgium, down to Luxembourg, before heading briefly into Switzerland to Geneva. After this will be back into France and down to Monaco before heading down into Spain and finishing at my dads place in Portugal for a few days. Am tempted to dip my toes into Morocco for a day just to say I've been there .

Regards

Steve

All that in 2 WEEKS Shocked it's possible but you won't see much except motorways Thumbs Up
Post #227497 15th Apr 2013 5:13pm
Lishlandy

Thanks Tim, couldnt find the link on my mails.

Sonic, this time is flexible and can be extended a few days, thanks for the advise as my concept of distances travelled are mainly around the UK. I hear they drive a bit differently on the continent Whistle ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #227501 15th Apr 2013 5:25pm
Sonic3d

Lishlandy wrote:
Thanks Tim, couldnt find the link on my mails.

Sonic, this time is flexible and can be extended a few days, thanks for the advise as my concept of distances travelled are mainly around the UK. I hear they drive a bit differently on the continent Whistle

Just had a quick look on Google maps and if you visited Lisbon in Portugal and down to Gib then home thats approx 4300 miles. I do a lot of travelling in europe over 10k a year and wouldn't want to do that Shocked
Post #227508 15th Apr 2013 5:45pm
Lishlandy

Thats £1,019.10 in fuel based on 27 MPG and diesel at 140.9p a Litre......Uh Oh, I feel a rethink coming along.

Am glad that i am still at the speculation stages of destinations, all that is for cetain is i have approx 2 weeks and need to get to Portugal and back seeing as much pretty stuff as possible.

Sonic, thanks for bringing my feet back to the ground, I'm not as thick as I may sound...honest Embarassed Laughing ===================================
Steve
110 USW X-TECH
Post #227515 15th Apr 2013 5:56pm
Sonic3d

Thats ok Thumbs Up
How about just stick to to Spain - Portugal - Day trip to Morocco. Plenty to see in Spain and a lot cheaper than France etc Thumbs Up if it was me I would take the ferry from Portmouth to Santander or Bilbao and back to Portmouth.
Yes the ferry is expensive but so are tolls and fuel from Calais to Spain plus you still need a ferry to France.
Post #227518 15th Apr 2013 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>