↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Aways pays to double check....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Aways pays to double check....
Sometime ago we were staying at a hotel for two nights. I was told that the Defender would fit into the underground carpark. I walked down to check. Sure enough there was a couple of inches to spare. I walked on in and noticed the some of the pipework running along the ceiling hung down so far that I would not have gotten the Defender underneath it. Glad I checked before I drove in! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #226162 10th Apr 2013 9:49pm
TheWarden

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Happened to me once.... Got into the car park via the way in okay but almost got stuck leaving via the exit..... Ended up having to reverse out of the entrance to leave.... 2013 Aintree Green 110 Station Wagon SX
Post #226165 10th Apr 2013 10:03pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I'm always cautious in underground car parks after my father drove a brand new Nissan Cabstar pick up in to one, it went under the barrier but hit some pipe work hanging down cutting a hole in the roof. Shocked
Post #226167 10th Apr 2013 10:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have vivid memories of trying to get out of a multi in Reading in my disco2. It cleared the height gauge easily but no way would it have gone under the fire suppression plumbing etc that had clearly been added later. Quite hairy at the time, especially without a spotter!
Post #226176 10th Apr 2013 10:33pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I delivered and erected a large garden building once on a transit pick-up some years ago. The access to the rear of the house was via going under an archway under the main house. When I came to leave the damned thing had grown a couple of inches and wouldn't go back under(it would have done if the house owners weren't there Whistle ) No garage for miles so letting the tyres down wasn't much of an option so ended up having to ballast the pick-up down with a recently delivered load of paving slabs. Took me another hour and a half to get out after putting all the slabs back, didn't make much out of that job bar a bad back Rolling Eyes
Post #226195 10th Apr 2013 11:43pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I took out three flourescents at Heath Row once.... 
Post #226197 10th Apr 2013 11:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I still have the battle scar from a car park height barrier in Settle on my bonnet. Must admit I was a little horrified to find that the top pole was not fixed, just resting on the upright Shocked Would have been a different outcome if a lesser vehicle had nudged the upright Shocked
Post #226201 11th Apr 2013 1:30am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
When we lived in Switzerland, my old td5 110 went in the garage fine, so i was upset when my new 2010 110 got a nick at the end of the roof with 20kms on it ... i then lowered it by 2" until we moved back to the UK
Post #226214 11th Apr 2013 7:23am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
It reminds me of an incident many years ago..... I had a Ranger Rover Classic, the wife and I went every week into York, we would park in the council car park on Mary Gate do some shopping and nip over to the Railway museum.
Went one morning, bloke in the cabin as normal looking out of his window, nothing strange until BANG on the roof and the C.B. twig falls to the floor, stop and gets out to look at the roof only to see a 4" square section tube resting on the roof and a lot of paint missing and large dent. The tube was unpainted just covered in rust, the bloke from the cabin comes out saying Oh it got you as well its only been up 24hours and its had 40 vehicles.
Photos taken and got written statement from bloke out of cabin and put claim into York council who counter claim that I had damaged the barrier so much that they had had to replace it. Included in the letter was a hand written note saying that it had been put up to stop people like me with Ranger Rovers from parking in York.

Council paid out for new roof for the Rangie and C.B. twig, number of employees sacked for falsely claiming overtime for painting barrier and placing signage that was not displayed.
Post #226428 11th Apr 2013 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1