↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > insuranance for croatia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
womble

England 
insuranance for croatia
does anyone know where i can get fully comp insurance for croatia please,and at a reasonable price Question
Post #221079 22nd Mar 2013 10:52am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have looked into this for my trip, and your insurance company should cover you- ask them first.

If not (as with mine) you can buy temporary insurance on all major border crossings.

NOTE- Make sure you have ALL papers of ownership- if you don't they will impound your car until you can prove it Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #221090 22nd Mar 2013 11:49am
womble

England 
hi glyn.thanks,but i am sure there must be a company in england somewhere where i can buy it for a short term.i am sure that the likes of vince cobley don't travel all over the place on 3rd party cover
Post #221325 23rd Mar 2013 9:50am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Morning folks. Just planning a European trip in the 110. Have taken out insurance with the NFU Mutual and also their pan-European road assist as well. As the lady said "if we can get you fixed in country then that is what we will do, if not we will transport you and your vehicle back to the UK, all inclusive". IIRC the road assist costs about Ł45 extra for the month I am traveling. All contents within the vehicle are covered by the household insurance including the Oztent and electronics.

You could choose a lot worse... Thumbs Up
Post #221336 23rd Mar 2013 10:27am
Glynparry25

What I mean is- your insurance might not be valid in Croatia- not even third party as Croatia on many occasions aren't covered by European policies.

Speak to your insurance company and see if they will cover you. Some out there will cover you as long as you give them dates/ times and general regions.

If not- you can buy fully-comp insurance on all major border crossings.

As for 'short term cover'- the last company I approached about that wanted twice my annual insurance for 3 months of European cover. That was Germany so not even anywhere risky!!

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #221337 23rd Mar 2013 10:28am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I rode to Croatia on my motorbike a couple of years ago (with 5 mates on 6 bikes). All of us had insurance for Croatia as standard, with no uplift Thumbs Up I did check with my insurer before leaving UK shores. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #221570 24th Mar 2013 10:39am
RLD

United Kingdom 
Same here 9 years ago no problem RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #221576 24th Mar 2013 11:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"as Croatia on many occasions aren't covered by European policies"

It'll be written on your Cover Note, and most policies (most of my vehicles are with Admiral, the Morgan with Headley) DO cover Croatia. My Saga insurance on the Landie - no problems with LHD vehicles - even covers Serbia.

In any case, by July Croatia will be a full member of the EU so automatically covered.

Peter
Post #221602 24th Mar 2013 2:09pm
womble

England 
cheers guys.yes indeed,july..eu had'nt thought of that,just have to check with nfu,ironically off to croatia in truck(artic not lr)tomorrow,

remember.spring is here now Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #221615 24th Mar 2013 3:18pm
Glynparry25

Birdy wrote:

In any case, by July Croatia will be a full member of the EU so automatically covered.

How come? Cyprus is part of the EU and it's policies don't include any other EU country. They don't even offer any form of European cover. Also UK insurance policies DO NOT cover driving in Cyprus (not even third party).

An insurance company won't just change it's risk factor because a country has become part of a certain political/ geographical group. It is always best to double check that all the countries you travel through are covered by your current policy...... only way to be sure.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #221625 24th Mar 2013 4:00pm
walfy

Both times I've been,LV have been great and covered at no extra cost. I know Bosnia was specifically excluded and would have to be purchased separately 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #230241 24th Apr 2013 8:11pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
walfy wrote:
Both times I've been,LV have been great and covered at no extra cost. I know Bosnia was specifically excluded and would have to be purchased separately

Both times I went to Bosnia I had no issues at all with insurance. Arranged via a broker at the time all nice and easy. The only time we where stopped in Bosnia (other than interesting border crossing issues) the police man took one look at us and waved us on. Happy memories Cool
Post #230244 24th Apr 2013 8:16pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Glyn,

“Also UK insurance policies DO NOT cover driving in Cyprus (not even third party).”

Admiral cover: “… any other country which is a member of the European Union and Norway; Switzerland, Iceland, Croatia, Andorra and Liechtenstein”

Hiscox Headley: “A. any member country of the European Union. B. Croatia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland”

Saga: “a) any other member country of the European Union; b) Andorra, Iceland, Norway, Croatia, Serbia and Switzerland”.

Unless Cyprus has been thrown out of the EU?

Peter
Post #230302 24th Apr 2013 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1