↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Which sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Which sat nav
My Tomtom live keeps on freezing done the formatting a couple of times but think its time for a new one but which one with speed cameras and live traffic.
Post #220543 19th Mar 2013 10:52pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Mick, I used to use a Tom Tom and yes that kept freezing. It could not locate us on the M1 in the UK!

Have used Garmins for years and never had a problem with them.

So switch to a Garmin Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #220544 19th Mar 2013 10:59pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Mick, quite a bit of info here when this topic came up before a few months back:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic16796.html

Personally I use a Tom Tom and its great. Never had any issues. Have used Garmins as well and prefer Tom Tom. It is important to keep maps updated. It can't tell you where you are if the maps are out of date!

Tris. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #220547 19th Mar 2013 11:04pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurergps/index.php/advs7000.html
Super graphics. Whole of Europe. Opptional OS GB 50,000:1 
Post #220552 19th Mar 2013 11:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well our Garmin maps are out of date but it has no problems locating where we are!

OK Out of date maps may not have the latest roads on, latest speed cameras etc, may not be able to locate latest streets etc but our out of date Garmin maps work fine and we have never had any issues with a Garmin sat nav.

Have used Tom Toms, Garmin and Navman and believe Garmin is the best system for street navigation.

Brendan
Post #220556 19th Mar 2013 11:13pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
There are a number of Garmins now available with Life-time map upgrades included in the price. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #220558 19th Mar 2013 11:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Always go Garmin myself. Halfords have various offers with lifetime updates and so on on a regular basis. I went for a mid price range one back in 2010 and still use it to this day. Mine's a 1300T. With all the details you mention and an economy app to for estimated MPG and so on.
If anyone wants a Sat Nav hardwire kit to get rid of the lighter socket connection and the trailing wires I can sort you out one. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #220564 19th Mar 2013 11:33pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
leeds wrote:
Well our Garmin maps are out of date but it has no problems locating where we are!

I should clarify - I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek. If the road layout has been changed since the map you are using was released, then your GPS position and the position on the sat nav map won't tie up. The sat nav still knows where you are, and shows where you are, but it will have wandered off the 'old' road, which doesn't exist anymore. New motorway junctions can be particularly problematic if your maps are out of date.

I can guarantee one thing - you won't get unanimous agreement on this one! Like with all technology. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #220566 19th Mar 2013 11:35pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Reading the other thread it might be the battery that's fecked still fancy a new one though Thumbs Up
Post #220569 19th Mar 2013 11:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Green Machine - Very true ^^^^ I had mine on the original map from 2010 to early this year and now on a permanent lifetime update. for 75 Shocked None the less I like my Sat Nav so don't regret it & didn't want to buy a new one. What changed my mind was I was on my way down to Devon one day and it was of course guiding me. Then I found myself coming across a couple of roundabouts (obviously new) and according to the sat nav I was on a straight road making normal progress and the roundabouts didn't even exist as the maps were out of date. Okay so not the end of the world but a big pain if you find yourself in the wrong lane ect as you were't guided to your destination and then you have to make a de-tour if it's not safe to continue the original route. i.e. if you can't safely change lane. Also up- to date maps I found contained more detail. I find also some well known / major Byways are listed / named sometimes also which is a bonus. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #220570 19th Mar 2013 11:43pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sat Nav's are for the guidance of the wise and not for the obedience of fools!

Mk1 eyeballs and brain both have to be working and engaged!

Yes have used Tom Toms and Garmins

Click image to enlarge

Tom Tom wanted us to go straight ahead

Click image to enlarge

Luckily Mk1 eyeballs and brain was engaged

Click image to enlarge

I do not think local police would have been happy if I deployed the winches!! Laughing

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #220572 20th Mar 2013 12:05am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I'm with Brendan, must be an age thing, "I've paid for it once and I'm not paying again!" I know all the arguments for updating technology but, there is no replacement for opening your eyes and look where you're going Rolling Eyes You can update today and as we all know, it's out of date tomorrow. I use my satnav as a guide, only you can see what's in front of you, that way I don't seem to end up in someones garden or a railway line.
Post #220575 20th Mar 2013 12:14am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We've abandoned out Garmin Nuvi in favour of smartphone satnav apps. Lots to choose from, range of prices from free upwards, free map and software updates, etc. Only need to take your phone, no other gubbins to carry about or worry about getting nicked.

I use Navmii or googlemaps turn by turn nav my iPhone 3s. Dave uses navfree or Apple maps turn by turn nav on his iPhone 5. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #220582 20th Mar 2013 1:49am
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I've done the same as Pam and took out the Tom Tom from my work van and just use my iPhone 5 as sat nav.
I use coPilot on it or apple maps with free updates. Might splash out on the Tom Tom app though as I find the user interface better.
Just remember to have a charger with you though! It soon drains the battery.
Post #220586 20th Mar 2013 8:08am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Pam - when is Dave going to get you an iphone5 ? Or are you waiting for the 5S ?

I've used the garmin apple app and the tomtom apple app, both have good and bad points but in my experience tomtom is better finding places abroad
Post #220587 20th Mar 2013 8:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>