Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diesel fuel contamination and wrecked fuel pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tony_Hillerby

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
Diesel fuel contamination and wrecked fuel pump
Ladies and Gents
I am looking for info to see if anybody else has had contamination of the diesel fuel.
One person in our club has spoken to someone in a LR dealership who said they have had vehicles in with these same symptoms and it was to do with the breather for the tank. I will call them on Monday to see if I can qualify this if the person will speak to me.
On the way back to home from Edinburgh we spent the whole time in a downpour with water all over the road for 100 miles. It was the next day that we noticed the problem.
The dealership said the fuel was taken after the filter and was brown with a settlement of water in it. We do live in a rural area and there's often mud being led onto the road from the fields, could this explain the brown colour.
Fuel analysis should ascertain if its corrosion products or mud from the road. I will ask for a sample and if they have the filters this can provide evidence also.
Has anybody out there got a new Puma engined 110 that can see where the fuel tank breather is located and is it possible for water to get to the end of it. Pics would be nice if possible.
There is a bowl under the drivers side rear wheel arch, is this the main diesel filter or is it a water knock out filter.
Also has anyone got a Td5, where is the breather for the tank, does it have a warning light in the filtration system for water build up in the filters as I have heard.
My suspicions are that the contamination is being drawn in somehow into the tank but I will need the fuel samples analysed first to confirm the contaminants.
Any info on this situation would be greatly received
Thanks in advance

Tony
Post #1270 3rd Feb 2008 9:39pm
Bossman

Sounds like cobblers to me! These vehicles are tested exhaustively in extreme conditions-are you suggesting that normal road use in rainy conditions will cause a serious water contamination problem? I think not! I have been in the motor trade for many years and know these vehicles (and many others) intimately. If your problem is genuinely due to water contamination, it is more likely to be due to contaminated fuel from either elderly, corroded fuel storage tanks or from drums used for refuelling. I am happy to be proved wrong on this one but I think that in the fullness of time, a more logical root cause will be found. It annoys me to hear people condemning these excellent vehicles and their skilled designers, in a bid to cover for their own poor "fuel hygiene" or just plain ignorance and incompetence!

I look forward to any reply to this post!
Post #1303 7th Feb 2008 12:02am
dullbird

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Bossman wrote:
Sounds like cobblers to me! These vehicles are tested exhaustively in extreme conditions-are you suggesting that normal road use in rainy conditions will cause a serious water contamination problem? I think not! I have been in the motor trade for many years and know these vehicles (and many others) intimately. If your problem is genuinely due to water contamination, it is more likely to be due to contaminated fuel from either elderly, corroded fuel storage tanks or from drums used for refuelling. I am happy to be proved wrong on this one but I think that in the fullness of time, a more logical root cause will be found. It annoys me to hear people condemning these excellent vehicles and their skilled designers, in a bid to cover for their own poor "fuel hygiene" or just plain ignorance and incompetence!

I look forward to any reply to this post!

yeh well mate we have the same problem and facing 10,000 bill to fix it and the car has only been on the road for 6months.....so did the same fuel driver deliver his load to oz as well!!

strangley enough and maybe a coincidance but the month it all began was the heighst rain full seen in that month in something like 70years!!!!!!!!!!!

so i think before you go attacking other members about there poor FUEL HYGIENE.......maybe take it on board and keep and open mind YOU KNOW REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS!!!!
Post #2850 22nd Jul 2008 2:42pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Post #2851 22nd Jul 2008 3:33pm
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Just spent the evning around a friend of mine who has a new Puma engined Defender. He's been having problems with stuttering and the MIL coming on.

Drained the fuel filter into a clean coffee jar and it doesn't look good. Half of the contents was dirty water. Surprised

So she's off to the dealer tomorrow for the inquest.

He uses the same servo that I fill up at and my TD5 shows no symptoms of water in the fuel at all. He has driven the car in wet conditions on road (we've had some pretty wet days lately) and hasn't been near so much as a puddle off road. Looks like another one for 'faulty tank breather'. I just hope we have caught it in time without stuffing any up.

It's a real shame that the new Defender is suffering this fault as it is otherwise a very nice vehicle. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #2988 31st Jul 2008 12:32pm
dullbird

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
sorry to here that, tell them chin up land rover know about it and its now a fix.........can i ask you foz if you can keep me updated with the problem and HOW they fix it!!

thanks mate

foz.in.oz wrote:
Just spent the evning around a friend of mine who has a new Puma engined Defender. He's been having problems with stuttering and the MIL coming on.

Drained the fuel filter into a clean coffee jar and it doesn't look good. Half of the contents was dirty water. Surprised

So she's off to the dealer tomorrow for the inquest.

He uses the same servo that I fill up at and my TD5 shows no symptoms of water in the fuel at all. He has driven the car in wet conditions on road (we've had some pretty wet days lately) and hasn't been near so much as a puddle off road. Looks like another one for 'faulty tank breather'. I just hope we have caught it in time without stuffing any up.

It's a real shame that the new Defender is suffering this fault as it is otherwise a very nice vehicle.
 YOU KNOW REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS!!!!
Post #2990 31st Jul 2008 1:04pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
As mentioned a known problem with extensive posts on here and lro - where i have hosted the pdfs Mike
Post #2994 31st Jul 2008 5:16pm
foz.in.oz

Will do, Dullbird. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #2995 31st Jul 2008 9:59pm
Chaser

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Was a bit worryed about the water problem with the fuel tank breather so I have moved mine

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

so when i do this it should be ok Smile

Click image to enlarge

cheers
chaser if it moves shoot it, if it dosn't push it.
Post #3029 3rd Aug 2008 8:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
whatch out for fuel vapours in the cab Mike
Post #3041 3rd Aug 2008 4:13pm
foz.in.oz

Update on my friends Defender Dullbird,

Dealer removed the tank and washed it out. same with pump and fuel lines. Replaced a switch on the fuel rail? and repositioned the breather behind the tail lamp cover. All done under waranty with no charge. collected and delivered the vehicle too (350kms round trip).

Looks like we caught it before it destroyed the injectors although my friend is keeping a very close eye on things. Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #3223 18th Aug 2008 2:37am
B19DEF

This is a known problem with land rover, there is even a TSB on it!! the fuel breather is incorrectly positioned, and draws in water and mud etc. this then wrecks the high pressure fuel pump.

Fault rectified by fitting new tank, breather, filter, HP pump, common fuel rail and finally, new diesel!!
Post #3250 19th Aug 2008 10:41pm
CapeLandy

South Africa 
Is the fuel pump before the filter outside the tank?
I found quite a bit of silt in the bottom of the external fuel filter. Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #3251 20th Aug 2008 6:32am
one_iota

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
CapeLandy wrote:
Is the fuel pump before the filter outside the tank?
I found quite a bit of silt in the bottom of the external fuel filter.

The Pump is forward of the filter and attached to the engine.

The filter is designed to filter the fuel and seperate any water before it gets to the pump and the common rail injection system.

The problem is with the breather location and the ingestion of large quantities of water...more than the filter can cope with and more than prescribed service intervals anticipated. The water and muck therefore finds it's way into a high precision system that doesn't tolerate it.

Attached are some pdfs from the GTR site that describe the system:

http://www.defender2.co.uk/gallery/albums/...ration.pdf

http://www.defender2.co.uk/gallery/albums/...in-off.pdf

http://www.defender2.co.uk/gallery/albums/...ration.pdf Mahn
'08 Defender 110
ex '95 Disco 300 Tdi
www.aulro.com
Post #3252 20th Aug 2008 11:38am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
How about the rest of the manuals Razz Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong