↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Four bikes and a caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Four bikes and a caravan
My children have just had new bikes for their birthday, which means we now have four, essentially full-sized, bikes to transport when we go on holiday. They won't fit on a regular rear carrier as they're too close to the front of our caravan when towing.

The obvious solution is on the roof, but I wondered if anybody had any bright ideas either for alternatives or to make that solution easier.

I'm quite taken with the sliding roof rack that a couple of members have but not sure how practical it would be with the weight of four bikes? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #218276 12th Mar 2013 12:26pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Inside caravan or on rear of caravan ?
Post #218277 12th Mar 2013 12:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Inside the van would be a real 'last resort', I think. It does have some advantages, but the risk of damage to the van is too great. Won't fit on the back either, I'm afraid. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #218285 12th Mar 2013 12:41pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Roof is basically your only option isn't it? Don't Thule do a system with a lifting 'arm', so that each bike can be lifted individually onto the roof? I seem to remember something along those lines. I would have thought that the 'slide' type system (Karritech?) would be very heavy with 4 bikes on it (depending on the weight of the bikes of course!). I know a guy who had a simple 'two bar' rack made for the back of his roofrack on his 110, so that he could carry the bikes with the roofrack loaded with other stuff and with a boat hitched up. Looks very odd sitting right up above everything else and a complete PITA to get the bikes on and off, but it does allow him to carry them I suppose. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #218294 12th Mar 2013 12:52pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
This was the kind of thing I was thinking of. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #218295 12th Mar 2013 12:55pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
LRA, I'm one of those with the tilting Karitek roof rack. It's a great piece of kit but any more than 2 adult bikes and it would be too heavy to lift up and slide. I manage with 2 adult bikes but any more and I might struggle, and I'm 6'3" & 21 stone so no lightweight. You may also need to put a securing strap from the rack to a roof bar to support the weight?

Another issue is encountering low bridges. The highest point of my outfit with bikes on roof is 3.4m high, meaning I have to check maps and google for any low bridges before setting off on my journey. But what if roadworks divert you off route and under a low bridge?

How about a Maxxraxx that has a mounting bracket that lives behind the tow ball, along with their height extender that allows you to tow a caravan as well? They do them to carry upto 5 bikes. Or a combination of the Maxxraxx and a roof mounted system so your not overloading the towball? That's what I'm doing this year as we now have to carry 3 bikes. Ill be putting the child's bike on the roof and adult bikes on the tow ball.

Last edited by WarPig on 12th Mar 2013 2:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #218299 12th Mar 2013 1:11pm
TheWarden

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The maxxraxx website has a few pics of their racks being used at the same time as a caravan with space to spare.
Post #218305 12th Mar 2013 1:40pm
WarPig

TheWarden wrote:
The maxxraxx website has a few pics of their racks being used at the same time as a caravan with space to spare.

Here you go..

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/products.html

and some photos from Def2 member richuk (height extender needed for towing caravan)

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13865.html

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #218315 12th Mar 2013 2:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks chaps, some interesting ideas there.

I like the principle of the arm that lifts them up to the roof. I don't think that specific one would work (height, size of bars and the fact that it only does two bikes) but the idea is good. Would probably have to have something made to suit though.

The Maxxraxx is a definite maybe, too. My van (a Bailey Pagasus) has a much shorter A frame and more vertical front than the one shown hitched to the Disco II though, which might limit its' usefulness. I shall have to spend some time with a tape measure and see if I can work it out. On the plus side, if it does work then I could mount it on a separate Dixon Bate slider and position it above the towball slider, which is on the lowest position for the van.

WarPig, if you get one of these any time soon, then I'd be interested to know how you get on and see some pics, please. Darren

Post #218339 12th Mar 2013 4:15pm
WarPig

LRA, I was hoping you would be my guinea pig Mr. Green I think Zag and Party Monkey both have the maxxraxx but I dont think they tow with them?

Looking at your website I see you have the NAS rear step. If so, you could perhaps get away with a Maxxraxx Discovery rack, this is designed to work with slimmer rear mounted wheels and doesnt stick out as far as their '4x4' rack, giving more space between the bikes and front of your caravan. Your nas step probably means your tow bar sticks out further than normal, so the Discovery rack might just work for you?

Heres some more useful info on towing clearances when towing a caravan with a maxxraxx..

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Help/tow_and_carry.html

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Guides/towing_clearance_chart.pdf

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the maxxraxx to a second slider is a good idea, I hadnt thought of that Thumbs Up

Heres my Karritek that has been fitted with two Thule 591 bike carriers. I could fit 4 bikes on it, but it would be too heavy to lift..

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #218366 12th Mar 2013 5:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

WarPig wrote:
LRA, I was hoping you would be my guinea pig Mr. Green

Heh, heh.

WarPig wrote:
Looking at your website I see you have the NAS rear step. If so, you could perhaps get away with a Maxxraxx Discovery rack, this is designed to work with slimmer rear mounted wheels and doesnt stick out as far as their '4x4' rack, giving more space between the bikes and front of your caravan. Your nas step probably means your tow bar sticks out further than normal, so the Discovery rack might just work for you?

Out of date, unfortunately. I now have a Dixon Bate, hence the idea of fitting it to a separate slider.

WarPig wrote:
Heres my Karritek that has been fitted with two Thule 591 bike carriers. I could fit 4 bikes on it, but it would be too heavy to lift..

Yeah, I thought it might be, unfortunately.

Thanks WarPig. The devil will be in the detail, so I definitely need to spend some time with a tape measure. Darren

Post #218405 12th Mar 2013 7:10pm
TheWarden

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I've used the Maxxraxx on my Disco 2 for years. The only drawback was that I couldn't open the rear door fully, but I could open it enough to get stuff out.

I'm picking up my Defender on Thursday so I'll fit the Maxxraxx at post some pics.
Post #218407 12th Mar 2013 7:21pm
LandRoverAnorak

Good man, I'll look forward to it Thumbs Up Darren

Post #218409 12th Mar 2013 7:32pm
WarPig

TheWarden wrote:
I've used the Maxxraxx on my Disco 2 for years. The only drawback was that I couldn't open the rear door fully, but I could open it enough to get stuff out.

I'm picking up my Defender on Thursday so I'll fit the Maxxraxx at post some pics.

Which model of maxxraxx do you have? I assume its the '4x4' model? It would be nice to hear how it works on your defender, and some photos if possible? Thumbs Up
Post #218414 12th Mar 2013 7:41pm
WarPig

LandRoverAnorak wrote:

WarPig wrote:

Yeah, I thought it might be, unfortunately.

I cant remember the Karriteks weight limit, but bear in mind that my two bikes are just standard run of the mill mountain bikes, and arent particularly light. If you have modern lightweight bikes then you could be ok? Or a second person to help lift/lower it?

Being a red blooded bafoon I refuse any help from the wife when using my rack, when she asks if I need help I reply abruptly "No". Mr. Green
Post #218419 12th Mar 2013 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>