↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What's the iPhone 5 like ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
What's the iPhone 5 like ?
Is it any good is it worth waiting for the 5s 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #216425 5th Mar 2013 8:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
I'd say wait for the 5s, because it can't be any worse than the 5 Rolling Eyes But that's just my opinion! Confused An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #216431 5th Mar 2013 8:21pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I upgraded from a 4 to the 5 and apart from the 5 being a little faster there is little difference. Yes the screen is bigger on the 5 but you only really notice the difference if you use a 4 after upgrading - you won't miss what you never had so to speak.

My wife has the 4s and honestly there is very little difference to the 5 - oh apart from the PITA of upgrading all your cables/adapters to the new lightening thingy.
Post #216434 5th Mar 2013 8:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I'm up for an upgrade in 2 months. I'm going go in an orange shop and rape them for all the cable/adapter thingies and heckle for an iPad too. We'll see Cool
I need a 64 gog though, my 32 is puking tunes at the mo.
Post #216461 5th Mar 2013 9:02pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I love my 5, but I would probably love the 4s if I had one. There are rumours of two new iphones being released later this year, one of them being a cheaper plastic bodied phone. I bought mine outright so I could have my choice of sims as I hate 24 month contracts. I have a macbook and the iphone syncs perfectly with it, if I add a note on my macbook it appears on my phone, if I take a photo with my phone it appears on my macbook etc.
Post #216462 5th Mar 2013 9:03pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Witchcraft.
Post #216465 5th Mar 2013 9:04pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Angelcraft Mr. Green
Post #216470 5th Mar 2013 9:11pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Depends what you have now I guess. I really like my iPhone 5, not regretted upgrading at all.

It's very fast, supports all the features of the Apple Maps app, SIRI is much improved, the screen is brighter/clearer. The first thing the Android devs at work commented on when they played with my iPhone 5 was how good the screen clarity was compared to the devices they're developing with.

Sound quality is really good, especially on loud speaker - I often listen to podcasts using the iPhone built in speaker when working on my Land Rovers and the 5 is clearer, louder and has a better range of sound.

The only downside really is the change of connector which has meant I've had to buy a couple of cables and an adaptor. Having said that the new connector is SO much better than the 30 pin connector IMV that on it's own is worth the upgrade. I always thought the 30 pin connector was a real PITA to use and never really worked that well. The Lightning connector is positive and symmetrical so no more messing around trying to get it hooked up, especially in the car when it's dark ! You'll need to upgrade to the lightning connector regardless of when you commit of course.

As part of my day job I use all models of iPhone/iPod/iPad and occasionally a few Android devices and even the iPhone 4S feels like a major downgrade from when I'm using my iPhone 5. I test all my apps on iPhone 5 first but then have to test them on earlier devices and iOS versions and it really brings it home to you just how good the 5 is compared to the older models. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #216474 5th Mar 2013 9:19pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Interesting thread. I have a blackberry and really want an iphone once my contract is up. I use BBM with the wife a lot, but she fancies an iphone too, so happy days! Sooooo many more apps out there compared to the blackberry.
Post #216505 5th Mar 2013 10:35pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Had one for a few months and like it a lot. Battery life is as bad as the 4 was. It's brilliant on the Internet. The upgrading of the cables has been costly.

But I would not recommend anything else. It's so easy to use and takes great pictures.
Post #216506 5th Mar 2013 10:38pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Voda tried to get me to upgrade from my 4s yesterday but I think I'll hold out to see what's coming next with the rumour of two phones coming out this year. I've only had the 4s for ten months so its not getting tired yet Mr. Green
Post #216510 5th Mar 2013 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1