↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Militarty/Civvy Defender Trailer/Power Sockets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Militarty/Civvy Defender Trailer/Power Sockets
Please can anyone help me answer this question?

I have a civvy 1995 300 TDI defender 110 with NATO tow hitch for my Sankey trailer. It has two standard civvy power sockets at the rear (12N and 12S) —trailer lights and 12V power from the spare battery. These sockets are always getting damaged because they are not flush with the rear cross-member and are fitted below the tow hitch (as per most civvy land rovers).

Do you know if it is possible to fit military trailer light sockets, with the sprung flat cover/flap, to my cross-member, ideally one either side of the tow hook? I would post a photo here if I knew how to do it ( can anyone help with that?)!

Assuming these military mounts and flaps are large enough for the inner part of 12N and 12S sockets, there are no suitable holes to use in my cross-member and I wonder if cutting the requisite holes would weaken the cross-member (do the army use reinforced cross-members or what?)

Many thanks in anticipation of your help and expert knowledge! 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #216046 4th Mar 2013 1:28pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
My advice would be to convert to a european 13 pin socket. That will give you all you need to replace the 12N and 12S sockets and allow you to have a single socket and cable, like on the original Sankey.

The original Sankey plug is 12 pin but contains when wired as standard things you may never use (like the convoy light)

You could wire it to do whatever you want but what if you ever want to tow something else.
Post #216074 4th Mar 2013 3:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's exactly what I've done - my Sankey now sports a 13 pin plug. That involved a bit of head scratching! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #216081 4th Mar 2013 4:11pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes, best idea is to change the wiring on the trailer. My Sankey had a new Euro plug on it as well. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #216114 4th Mar 2013 6:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
udderlyoffroad

United Kingdom 
I’ve pondered this too – as I don’t have a crossmember with a recessed hole, and I’m unwilling to cut one as I’ve had my entire chassis dipped now! I think I’ll end up making a ‘bumper bar’ which will bolt to the underside of the crossmember*, and mount a 13 pin socket and Anderson jump socket in that. Basically an L-shaped bit of steel to which the sockets are secured, which is then protected by a piece of flat plate, bent round and welded to the top and sides of the ‘L’ to form a bottom protection plate. Not ideal but it will protect the sockets somewhat.

As an alternative, take a look at this thread on LR4x4 (the chap was a member on here but haven’t seen him post in either forum for a while):
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=60122

What he’s done is stuck with the military socket, but mounted it through the bodywork. Drastic, but definitely protected. Other than if you attempt to open the rear door!

As to whether you could take a military socket and replace its guts with 12N /12S…probably, but just try finding one. They’re not cheap! I only have the male half from my Sankey – but I’m not convinced they’re much more robust than the new 13 pin job – but even if they are, replacing them without having access to the Quarter Master’s stores would be difficult.

There are 24 v recessed, spring mounted sockets. But these are deliberately different from their 12v cousins.

In summary then, I'm going for the 13-pin option too!
*Pre TD5- xmembers have threaded holes underneath for the various tow-bar permutations. Real trucks don't have spark plugs
Post #216154 4th Mar 2013 8:24pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Old thread but I managed to fit the NATO socket to my Puma. Very simple. How did you get on in the end?
Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #921263 13th Sep 2021 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1