Home > Off Topic > NON-DEFENDER - MOT Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
NON-DEFENDER - MOT Failure
Posting this while I'm still angry!

Daughter’s just let me know that the Kia dealer from whom we purchased the car new on 1 March 2010 'phoned her this afternoon to say that although she took the vehicle in this morning for a full service and its first MOT, they’ve FAILED it ’cos of faulty windscreen wipers and her college parking sticker obscuring part of the windscreen. Isn't that part of a full service? They couldn’t move the latter “without her permission”.

A mean and nasty way to get a re-test? And you thought some Land Rover dealers were bad!

Peter
Post #214877 27th Feb 2013 10:45pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
They fail cars on just having a magic tree hanging from the rear view mirror Rolling Eyes
Post #214882 27th Feb 2013 10:53pm
YeomanOfTheBar

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Had a similar thing where an indie failed mine because I'd left a mobile phone holder attached to the screen. He'd been given penalty points a couple of weeks previous for passing one in similar circumstances. He did, however, have the common sense to call and tell me, ask if he could remove it, before issuing a pass without charging for another test... 2013 Defender 110 XS DCPU
2016 Ford Mustang 5.0 V8
Post #214884 27th Feb 2013 10:57pm
f15hie

England 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
The last mercedes i owned was from brand new serviced by dealer and on its 6th service and 3rd MOT failed on the size of the letters on the number plate, bearing in mind tha it was 6 years old i changed the plates iwhen it was 3 months old! And it wasnt fancy writing justbstraightbforward print.

They didnt speak to me but to my missus who rang me in a panic as they had changed the plates and then told hervit would be the service plus the MOT plus Ł80 for the plates so it wouldnt have to retest. I rang them to find out why the plates were changed and they stated the law had changed and these were not compliant. When i asked when the law had changed they said 2 years ago Very Happy i then said you have serviced and MOT'd it twice since then the dealer then went quiet and said "oh", he then said "we will swallow the cost then!"

So always challenge the bill and its amazing what can happen Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post #214889 27th Feb 2013 11:12pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Re: NON-DEFENDER - MOT Failure
Birdy wrote:

A mean and nasty way to get a re-test? And you thought some Land Rover dealers were bad!

Peter

I disagree... why is it "nasty"? Surely, as the vehicle owner, you've got a responsibility to make sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition?

The "swept area" of the windscreen is there for a reason, so you can see out. If a sticker is in the way, well, tough, it shouldn't be there.

Wipers, hmmmm maybe, although if they're servicing it then they probably wouldn't "use" the wipers, only a visual check of the state of the rubber on the blades.
Post #214940 28th Feb 2013 9:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder how something like a Series 1 with a single wiper would get on now at MOT time. Should be OK if it is a ragtop (since the screen can be opened) but a hardtop? Not so sure.
Post #214966 28th Feb 2013 10:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
It's a split screen, so only that half would be relevant. If it never had a second wiper then it can't be penalised retrospectively. Also, of course, they're all MOT exempt now. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #214970 28th Feb 2013 10:32am
leeds

United Kingdom 
A lot of garages which service vehicles do not actually MOT the vehicles they service/sell.

Reason being they are then 'hands off' and completely independent from the MOT station and hence less likely to be accused of dodgy MOT, using the MOT as a means of generating work for their workshop etc.

Even if the garage did service the vehicle the mechanic who has serviced the vehicle is hardly likely to do the MOT as he could be accused of checking his own work. A lot of MOT test are a matter of opinion and not black and white. However the windscreen obstruction is not. Information can be found here

Brendan
Post #214978 28th Feb 2013 11:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Eh-he! I have hatched a cunning plan!

My Disco 2 is due its MOT soon and there is a huge chip directly in front of the driver, in the swept area, albeit in a position where it is only the view of the front edge of the bonnet beyond it, but undoubtedly an MOT failure. It is also too big for the usual trick of pressing a dead fly into it to work!

However, if I replace the wipers with shorter ones, it won't be in the swept area any more! Problem solved!
Post #215017 28th Feb 2013 1:34pm
Birdy

“Surely, as the vehicle owner, you've got a responsibility to make sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition”

That's why she took the car to the main dealer to be checked and serviced! Surely the garage carrying out a full service should ensure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition? But no, they did the service then immediately failed it.

On pointing this out to the service manager, they’ve deigned to fit new wiper blades and move the sticker and re-test free of charge. Of course, I’ll probably have missed the deadline for renewing tax online, and will now have to go with the documents to a Post Office and brave the krinklies with their sticks and scooters barging their way to the front of the pension queue.

Peter
Post #215037 28th Feb 2013 4:07pm
dondiddy

Scotland 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
If you buy your road tax online there is a 2 week grace period allowed to take into account the time for Swansea to generate the tax disc and for it to be posted to you. Only if you buy online, if you send the renewal to your local post office with a cheque then this does not apply. I always buy mine online now because it saves me the hassle of trying to find the "safe place" that I put the insurance certificate the last time I trid to find it! Laughing
Post #215083 28th Feb 2013 7:42pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Do they not do a free retest if the vehicle does,nt leave the premises,most garages do. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #215085 28th Feb 2013 7:48pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Birdy wrote:
“Surely, as the vehicle owner, you've got a responsibility to make sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition”

That's why she took the car to the main dealer to be checked and serviced! Surely the garage carrying out a full service should ensure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition? But no, they did the service then immediately failed it.

On pointing this out to the service manager, they’ve deigned to fit new wiper blades and move the sticker and re-test free of charge.

Peter

That is the right result, my local independant services 1st then it passes the MOT ( seperate garage next door ) doing it the other way round is daft or shows a lack of confidance in their own technicians . HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #215092 28th Feb 2013 7:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Birdy

Got the car back today, the MOT had been registered in the VOSA database yesterday in time for me to tax it online (taxing it in advance is only possible if there’ll be a valid MOT on the day of renewal).

The blah blah from the service manager was along the lines that of course the mechanic noticed that the wiper blades smeared the windscreen and that the sticker needed to be moved (TWO INCHES), but wasn’t competent to determine whether or not they would fail the MOT, and hadn’t received authorisation to move the sticker.

Wot a waste of time!

Peter
Post #215330 1st Mar 2013 8:04pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Waste of time in YOUR eyes, but if you were the mechanic and you thought "ahh, I'll move them" and the car was a secret shopper from VOSA, and he you lost your job/MoT cert... would it be a waste of time then??
Post #215339 1st Mar 2013 8:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>