↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Lanterns..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Lanterns..
What do you use? We have head torches normally, but it's not too bright (pun intended) whilst talking to each other.
We have an LED work light, that plugs in a 12v socket, that I bolted on a crocodile clip, to use when spattering and under the awning, but I often wander about proper lanterns, gas powered with a mantle?

What so you think?
Post #213692 23rd Feb 2013 11:22pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Re: Lanterns..
GREENI wrote:
What do you use? We have head torches normally, but it's not too bright (pun intended) whilst talking to each other.
We have an LED work light, that plugs in a 12v socket, that I bolted on a crocodile clip, to use when spattering and under the awning, but I often wander about proper lanterns, gas powered with a mantle?

What so you think?

we have a colemans from go outdoors and headtorches (fox fishing ones) Thumbs Up i did just read your other post and heard you had bad luck in there Laughing CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #213694 23rd Feb 2013 11:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I've got two old (fifty years) Tilley lamps.
I can still get spares easily.
They chuck out plenty of light and heat. Very Happy 
Post #213699 23rd Feb 2013 11:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
My dad used Tilley lamps when we camped as I was a kid.
There are some for sale on eBay. I kind of like they arent all plastic Cool
Post #213701 23rd Feb 2013 11:46pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Tilley lamps (and Vapalux) are the dogs, but they are £100 plus for a decent second hand one and new ones even more. I had enduring memories of usin the Tilleys in the Boy Scouts but couldn't justify the expense so ended up buying two Coleman petrol powered ones from a surplus store in Exeter for £82 delivered.

They kick out loads of light and run for 14 hours on a fill. You do have to carry another fuel to run them but for a base camp situation they are excellent, also kick out a fair bit of heat as well.

I also have a Coleman gas powered lamp which is self igniting and kicks out similar amount of light, the downside of these is that they need a special Coleman disposable gas cylinder which are pricey and hard to get. These can be refilled however from a large cylinder using an adaptor imported from USA (I don't think European regs allow it to be done officially) the upside of this is that the lamps can be bought for a song as no one wants them Thumbs Up

All of these types of lamps however use a mantle and I'm not sure how durable these are if mishandled or bashed about in the back of a wagon, but so far they have survived and I haven't had to replace any yet.

Alternative supply I have is a decent ARB led handheld which has a hanging hook and magnets and provides loads of bright light. Rechargeable

I don't think you can beat the Tilley/Vapalux/Coleman type lamp for atmosphere though , warm, gentle (or roaring) hissing sound and a good all round light.

There is another brand who's name I forget which you can fit a nice big shade on and is available in all brass, looks a bit nautical that one.

You can get ex army Vapalux lamps for not too much if you don't mind it being a bit bashed about (and painted green!)

I got mine from Endicotts in Exeter by mail order, excellent price which is why I bought two Thumbs Up they don't always have them in but it's worth a call, not on their website.

I've had a couple of camping gaz ones which were a bit feeble and gas didn't seem to last that long.
Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #213705 24th Feb 2013 12:21am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I bought my first Tilley lamp in 1961. It cost me £4 0s 6d. (My week's wage was £7 7s 0d less tax and N.I. a week)
I was given the second one by a friend who no longer needed it. 
Post #213707 24th Feb 2013 12:30am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
d j hutton wrote:
I also have a Coleman gas powered lamp which is self igniting and kicks out similar amount of light, the downside of these is that they need a special Coleman disposable gas cylinder which are pricey and hard to get. These can be refilled however from a large cylinder using an adaptor imported from USA (I don't think European regs allow it to be done officially) the upside of this is that the lamps can be bought for a song as no one wants them Thumbs Up

Hi DJ,
Do you have any details of that adapter? I've got one of the Coleman lamps (as well as a heater and water heater) that uses the disposable canisters and I like the idea of being able to refill them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #213708 24th Feb 2013 12:33am
d j hutton

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
d j hutton wrote:

Hi DJ,
Do you have any details of that adapter? I've got one of the Coleman lamps (as well as a heater and water heater) that uses the disposable canisters and I like the idea of being able to refill them.

I'll dig out the details, I seem to remember I got it from Cabelas along with a long pipe so I can run a two burner Coleman gas cooker from a bigger cylinder instead of the small ones, ideal solution. I think in total it was about £25 delivered form the adaptor, long pipe and a couple of brass caps for the cylinders. Refilling involves chilling down the small one in the freezer, joining together, inverting the donor cylinder and opening the tap, gas flows due to pressure difference. Job done. I gues sit could be I deemed as 'risky' if you do an risk assessment Whistle but if its ok for the USA the its ok for us I reckon. Frowned upon apparently by Coleman, but then they won't sell the smaller cylinders if we all do it Thumbs Up they cost a dollar or two in USA and £7 odd here!

DJ

Btw you can also buy a gas fired cooker for deep frying a whole turkey! Only in USA Shocked 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #213710 24th Feb 2013 12:44am
d j hutton

Here's the web page

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-Heater-P...l+Products

The pipes can be accessed as a related item, bear in mind these will only fit a propane tank, not calor butane. Also fits the calor light propane tanks which are used in caravans, much lighter weight, I have a couple of these so if I want a smelly fry up when out in the tintent, then I can go and cook outside.

Some great kit available from Cabelas, especially in the sale and clearance departments Thumbs Up

Hope this helps

DJ[/url] 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Last edited by d j hutton on 24th Feb 2013 1:37am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #213713 24th Feb 2013 12:55am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
When we are out on off road club camping weekends we tend to have a glowing BBQ / wood fire in the BBQ for sitting around and most people use head torches, switched off when sitting/standing around the fire. In the club tent (3 sided rectangular plastic marquee style) we hang up a Coleman fuel lamp, which only seems to last about 4-5 hours between fills. OK for midsummer and 1 or 2 night stays but would be a pain for longer camping trips,for ever needing to refill it.

For our roof tent we've gone with the Ring LED tent lights - one upstairs in the tent and two downstairs in the awning. Perfectly adequate for reading/cooking by and powered off the auxiliary battery. They have an In-line on/off switch in the cable. We've hard-wired a single 12v DIN socket on the outside back of the Land Rover - off this we use a 'cup-holder' style double cigar lighter which provides power for both lights and also double USB for charging the iPad/iPhones.
We use moonlight / starlight / headtorches outside the tent!
This means for a longer trip we have less expense in buying fuel for a lamp and also less hassle having to refill or change cartridges than gas lamps. Might not seem like proper camping to some people but very practical! Whistle Wink

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ring-27-led-tent-light-kit-p195324
Plus an add-on
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ring-27-led-tent-light-add-on-p195261
And power supply
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_254707 Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net

Last edited by Pam W on 24th Feb 2013 2:08am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #213716 24th Feb 2013 1:35am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
PS I've got a lot of useful stuff from Gooutdoors that is hard to get in smaller shops but I do still use our local small Yeomans camping high street stores when they have what I want! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #213717 24th Feb 2013 1:42am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I took a coleman petrol lantern to the arctic, nice lot of light and heat, not recommended for use indoors but they are easy to use, petrol is pretty available.

electric wise, we had some head torches, a couple of led magnetic lamps and the rigid industries halo 800 lumen flashlight

if you are just wanting enough light under the awning and have 12v battery power available, consider picking up a cheap chinese led bar .. a 10 or 20 inch bar should be enough Thumbs Up
Post #213734 24th Feb 2013 10:14am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the comments. I do kind of want to go for the Tilley, for nostalgia. Though a Coleman fuel lantern would have to substitute it, as I already have Coleman stoves and carry fuel.

As said, they're no good for inside the tent, unless you want a headache until you die.
That said, I think it might be a case of an LED rechargeable work light, we have one that we keep in the coal house, which is a cheap Chinese jobby.
I would buy a quality ARB or Snap On work light, though I'd be sure they're branded Chinese lights, ( I hope to be corrected).

As for transportation of a Tilley type, I'd look for an ammo box of similar size and pad it out...
Post #213743 24th Feb 2013 10:40am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
d j hutton wrote:
Here's the web page

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-Heater-P...l+Products

Thanks DJ, that's great Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #213746 24th Feb 2013 10:49am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Aldi/Lidl do a rechargeable worklight, can recharge off 240v or 12v for around £10/12 I've had one for the past 3 years and recharged it about 4 times. It lives in the back of the Defender and has never let me down and it's taken a lot of abuse as well.
Post #213775 24th Feb 2013 12:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>