↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Battery Info, deep cycle and starter difference!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Battery Info, deep cycle and starter difference!
Just wondered what you guys use when you have to have an engine starting battery and a "house" battery for lights, fridges etc.

Is a deep cycle battery for house (lights, fridges etc) and then a starting battery with a cold cranking rating for the engine. I'm a bit confused as I have been suggested two deep cycle batteries for both from Battery Megastore but one has a cold cranking capacity of 570 whilst the other doesn't Confused Alphaline calcium XV24 & DC24

I think I may just go for 2x Enduroline EXV90 calcium batteries which are deep cycle and starter although i think a proper starting battery would be better... It's similar to what I am replacing!
Post #210992 13th Feb 2013 6:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I went for Odyssey PCT1500 x2 - have both good cold cranking amps and can cope with deep discharge. Not cheap but you can get 2 under the front seat. Also have very good cold performance and retain a relatively high proportion of voltage at low temps
Post #211001 13th Feb 2013 7:24pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Simon R is the man to speak to about deep cycle batts and their use for normal use.

i use deep cycle batts as normal vehicle batts on 5 vehicles. some of them are parrallel setups. haev run like it for 6years on one no probs on any of them, Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #211031 13th Feb 2013 9:17pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies.

I see after a Google some are using the Enduroline ones as a starter battery in their Disco's and to use for their winches.

I could get a higher amp rated 'house' battery but i think you are meant to have similar/same batteries for charging in parallel!

Odysseys would be nice but out of my bracket Steve...Endurolines are £175 for both and panels etc £100. Sunstore.co.uk sell cheap panels if anyone is interested.
Post #211118 14th Feb 2013 8:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Three types of batteries.

1) Starter battery. Capable of giving large current draw and then recharged straight away

2) Leisure battery. Provides low current, for long periods of time and can be deeply discharged

3) Combined starter/leisure battery. Combines both functions.

Chances are that if you used a leisure battery to start a vehicle then whilst it may do it but you may well damage/buckle the plates etc.

Depending on how you are going to use your vehicle then I suggest that a dual battery system using combined starter/leisure batteries with a relay capable of carrying starter currents. Reason being the principle aim of your battery system is to start the engine. F you can not start the engine you could be up the creek etc.

Our twin battery system uses Odyssey batteries with a 200 amp relay Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #211129 14th Feb 2013 10:03am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Zagato wrote:
I could get a higher amp rated 'house' battery but i think you are meant to have similar/same batteries for charging in parallel!

I think this is something of a myth. Think of the tens of thousands of caravans that have leisure batteries charged in parallel by the towing vehicle. The two batteries in those cases won't be similar but the systems work without issue. When I owned a Desert Wolf trailer, it had two 100 amp leisure batteries on board that were both charged from my Discovery fitted with its' standard starting battery. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #211142 14th Feb 2013 10:47am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV30HMF-P3672.html

i have run these as vehicles batts, two in parallel. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #211262 14th Feb 2013 9:33pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Zag

I can guess what you want them for,,

I use 6 identical deep cycle leisure batteries,, 5 as house batteries and one as the start, never a problem, but do change them as a matter of course after 5 years !! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #211299 14th Feb 2013 11:31pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Zagato wrote:

I think this is something of a myth.

I think it is more applicable to when you want the functionality to use both in parallel to start the engine.
Post #211609 16th Feb 2013 10:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1