↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > can I use a Bosch 072 as a leisure battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
can I use a Bosch 072 as a leisure battery
As title says, can I use a Bosch 072 as a leisure battery? it is a stock standard (recommended size) battery, and do both batteries in a dual battery system have to be the same? Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #210813 12th Feb 2013 9:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
VeeTee

Netherlands 
No problem, I have the same battery as a domestic battery. If the batteries are separated by a battery management system / VSR (voltage sensitive relay) or the like, they do not have to be the same.
In case you connect batteries in parallel (to have more capacity) it is best to have the same make / model and age (preferably both new from installation). Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #210972 13th Feb 2013 5:58pm
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Thank you VeeTee, very much appreciated Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #210974 13th Feb 2013 6:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
VeeTee wrote:
No problem, I have the same battery as a domestic battery. If the batteries are separated by a battery management system / VSR (voltage sensitive relay) or the like, they do not have to be the same.
In case you connect batteries in parallel (to have more capacity) it is best to have the same make / model and age (preferably both new from installation).

Bear in mind that the majority of battery management systems and all VSR's do not actually keep two batteries separate. When operating, the two batteries are connected in parallel and are charged as if they are one big battery regardless of type or size. Where they are kept separated is when starting, as they typically rely on the alternator producing the correct voltage before connecting the starter to the second battery.

An 072 battery is probably not ideal if used as a leisure battery. It'll work, in that it will provide 12 volts when the engine isn't running, but it won't do so for as long or as reliably as a true leisure battery would. The two types are constructed differently to release their power at different rates. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #211010 13th Feb 2013 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1