↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Laning in the Lake District
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ellebarto

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Laning in the Lake District
Just four of us out this weekend and we decided to head for the Lakes. Everyone I asked seemed to have a bit of a downer on the Lakes because there is a fair bit of tarmac between lanes and a shed load of gates but I wanted to give it a go. I enjoyed the day but it was probably a bit tame compared to what we usually do and we were a bit disappointed to find a grumpy farmers wife blocking one lane and that Grizedale had been temporarily closed for repair just 2 days before and a day after I had last checked its status! Excuses were buying me no favours with the boys though!

Only one mishap when a Defender 90 in our group snapped its connecting rod on the high / low selector linkage but with some running repairs he forced it into high range and completed the day.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #209503 8th Feb 2013 3:57pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Re: Laning in the Lake District
ellebarto wrote:
we were a bit disappointed to find a grumpy farmers wife blocking one lane

Er, assuming it's a legit lane, report her to the police? Obstructing a public highway is an offence. Many farmers think they can do what they like with rights of way on their land (including footpaths and bridleways), but they can't. A farmer in Ennerdale was jailed a few years back for repeatedly threatening folk on a bridleway behind his farm. Although he's so thick that even prison doesn't seem to have put him off...

As for tame, depends what you are used to (Peaks?) but there is definitely some non-tame stuff in the Lakes.
Post #209505 8th Feb 2013 4:25pm
ellebarto

She reckoned it had recently been re-classified but the signs looked dodgy and they had obviously just put a gate up. I keep meaning to check it again but on the day leading a group of cars it was more trouble than it was worth. I did get out and try to engage with her, suggested she called the council to check but she just got arsey!

I didn't mean tame was bad. Just that we usually have a number of lanes that are tough to drive. Nothing really troubled anyone on this day and the 90 was jammed in high range! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #209506 8th Feb 2013 4:42pm
Romadog

Good video , didn't get bored half way through like some that are put up of laning. It isnt a 5 minutesjob to produce these so worth the effort Thumbs Up
Just find it annoying when vehicles are shown driving through puddles in narrow sections at speed...unnecessary and not helping the cause. Also the travelling speed near the start or was the video speeded up ? just my opinion. Whistle
Post #209562 8th Feb 2013 7:15pm
ellebarto

Romadog wrote:
Good video , didn't get bored half way through like some that are put up of laning. It isnt a 5 minutesjob to produce these so worth the effort Thumbs Up
Just find it annoying when vehicles are shown driving through puddles in narrow sections at speed...unnecessary and not helping the cause. Also the travelling speed near the start or was the video speeded up ? just my opinion. Whistle

Thanks mate. Did put a lot into this one.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion buddy. I personally don't get the puddle splashing as I don't see the damage if there isn't any walkers about but the speed thing is my fault and I should put something on every video to say that almost all footage is speeded to 1.2 so I can squeeze more action in. It does give the wrong impression sometimes but I try to balance it out. I didn't think much of is looked excessive with the exception of one puddle jump! Embarassed Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #209567 8th Feb 2013 7:36pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
That's the "wrong" end of Grizedale (the pic). There is a voluntary one way which is from the other end ie the visitor centre end. There is nothing on the lakes website which suggest there is any temp closure.
Post #209570 8th Feb 2013 7:47pm
ellebarto

BigMike wrote:
That's the "wrong" end of Grizedale (the pic). There is a voluntary one way which is from the other end ie the visitor centre end. There is nothing on the lakes website which suggest there is any temp closure.

Yeah I was aware and thought I had it the right way round but it was definitely closed at the weekend. Maybe it was something dodgy! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #209578 8th Feb 2013 8:03pm
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Another great bendifroot vid, I enjoy watching your video's always well put together Bow down , keep up the good work Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #209756 9th Feb 2013 10:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ellebarto

taffrican wrote:
Another great bendifroot vid, I enjoy watching your video's always well put together Bow down , keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Cheers mate. Much appreciated. Learning a bit more each time! Check out my YouTube channel for green laning and Land Rover "how to" videos.
Post #209760 9th Feb 2013 10:51am
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
BigMike wrote:

Is the photo the east side of Grizedale lane from the tarmac, do remember doing this west to east as the voluntary one way!
Post #212227 18th Feb 2013 8:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Some great stuff in there, I hope to get the Defender back to the Lakes soon, and I'll have a go at some of these...thanks for posting Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #212231 18th Feb 2013 9:27pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
GSLRO wrote:
BigMike wrote:

Is the photo the east side of Grizedale lane from the tarmac, do remember doing this west to east as the voluntary one way!

Yes, you do it west to east, starting at the visitor centre side.
Post #212310 19th Feb 2013 9:14am
Richalot

United Kingdom 
Great video
Great video many thanks for sharing it.

Me and the misses are heading up for a week brake first week of Feb, This will be our first visit there looking forward to it

Would like to do that route as it looks great fun. would be great if you are free and fancy doing it again.

Best Regards
Richard The closer you are to death the more alive you feel
Post #296505 7th Jan 2014 4:03am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Laning in the Lake District
twopoint6khz wrote:
... Obstructing a public highway is an offence. ...

It is actually quite a serious offence, and is an offence for which the perpetrator is arrestable without warrant (quite unusual, and an indication of the seriousness). Mind you, finding a rozzer to deal with it, especially on a lane, is going to be difficult!

Another great Bendifroot vid by the way! Always a pleasure to watch your vids! Thumbs Up
Post #296522 7th Jan 2014 10:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1