Home > Off Topic > Need some ideas!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tubes63

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Need some ideas!
Hey chaps,

so, my company has challenged me and a team of 9 colleagues to raise £10,000 for the Alzheimer's Society by September.

My team decided (in my absence) to start by selling roses in London on the 14th... Which is a good start, but I kind of want to go bigger and better. We do, after all, have to raise enough money to buy a half decent TD5 in six months!!

We can do pretty much anything to raise the cash (the only condition is it can't be illegal). I can do stuff alone, or with the group, or with anyone else.

If anybody has any ideas at all on how to raise the money please give me a shout. I'd love to do something with the defender but can't think of anything original. (I also don't have that much holiday time so can't drive across Africa like I'd wish haha)

My only idea so far is to do an unsupported solo flight in my hot air balloon (which is bloody hard - would have to set the thing up myself, fly it, cycle back to the car, drive back to the balloon, pack it up and hoik the basket onto the trailer myself. I've done it once when I was 17 and it damn near killed me) and get the balloon anoraks I know to sponsor me. But apart from that I'm stumped Neutral

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers boys Thumbs Up Geoff
2007 Defender 90

Click image to enlarge
Post #209237 7th Feb 2013 6:43pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I did a sponsored parachute jump for Menigitis charity and a sponsored abseil down the highest building in Bournemouth for something else (forgot what).

Both fun ways of getting some cash in. Raised a fair bit IIRC.

Don't suppose health and safety would allow the abseil nowadays though!

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #209240 7th Feb 2013 6:51pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Write a begging letter to Bill Gates. 
Post #209241 7th Feb 2013 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tubes63

haha, both good ideas Laughing

I'd love to do an absail thing. I don't think health and safety would give a damn, our HSE is pretty poor Laughing Geoff
2007 Defender 90

Click image to enlarge
Post #209244 7th Feb 2013 6:58pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Love to see you cold inflate it on a breezy day Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
I do a bit myself with a mate. Sounds like what I do when he's their !!!!
Do you do festivals etc ??
Post #209245 7th Feb 2013 6:59pm
Tubes63

Never flown in a festival myself, but I've crewed at Canberra. Would love to give it a go.

It was about 4Kts when I did it all those years ago... To be honest it probably made it easier, a constant breeze meant no wobbling around, and meant I didn't need a weight on the end of the crown line. Thumbs Up The lifting is the hard part, really Laughing

Good to know there's another air head on here though Laughing Geoff
2007 Defender 90

Click image to enlarge
Post #209249 7th Feb 2013 7:02pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Since he was young my son collected empty plastic bottles and cans left around the school and gets the deposit back on them. He's about to buy his second yacht and doesn't bother to talk to me any more.

More seriously, here (in Germany) recycling is so big that when you take your empties back, you are encouraged to press the "donate" button on the machine. One bin bag of bottles is worth about 10 Euros!

At big events, the organisers even encourage you to give your bags of bottles to them (this service makes your life easier as no-one likes standing around "posting" bottles into machines).

Are there any similar possibilities using recyclng where you are? Perhaps it will seed an idea at least...

p.s. and get one of those "young'uns" to make it go "viroid" on Farcebook too Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #209258 7th Feb 2013 7:13pm
Tubes63

Hmm... No bottle banks like that I don't think, though it might be a good idea to pass onto the Government Laughing Thumbs Up Geoff
2007 Defender 90

Click image to enlarge
Post #209265 7th Feb 2013 7:26pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
We only balloon for fun, although we do Bristol and Northampton. Also did the cross channel 2 years ago. Wow what an experience. Went once and was hooked. The only problem is there is alot of politics and some BIG anoraks !!!

We have done exclusive raffles - say 100 tickets at £10 a pop for an exclusive bespoke balloon flight. You will have to get a licence from your charity to comply with the Law. Easy way to raise a grand, for one flight. Thumbs Up
Post #209498 8th Feb 2013 3:12pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Picking up on Barble Jims point - do you have any good off roading near you? You could, perhaps, sell tickets on a raffle basis for an off roading experience for the eurobox crowd? there must be peeps in your office etc who have never off-roaded and might like to try it? BM52
Post #209500 8th Feb 2013 3:28pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Why not ask members of this forum to donate a fiver each, a tenner for site sponsors Whistle
Its a good cause and you may get a decent uptake.
Start a poll so people can see how many have donated - encourages other to also donate.
You could even offer a balloon ride prize to one lucky person who has donated.
Post #209520 8th Feb 2013 5:30pm
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Abseiled off the Forth Rail Bridge last year - raised about a grand for the RNLI - I know you are a distance away, but.....

Could combine it with some off road stuff up here too.... 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #209528 8th Feb 2013 6:01pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
boode wrote:
Why not ask members of this forum to donate a fiver each, a tenner for site sponsors Whistle
Its a good cause and you may get a decent uptake.
Start a poll so people can see how many have donated - encourages other to also donate.
You could even offer a balloon ride prize to one lucky person who has donated.

+1 Thumbs Up
I would have said it might start a general trend but as its to buy a TD5 for a challenge it makes sense Thumbs Up
Something impressive on your part with a video to watch would be cool though Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #209604 8th Feb 2013 8:37pm
Tubes63

Ah, some excellent ideas filtering through here!! Raffling off an off road day in my pride and joy might actually raise some money. Every time I tell a colleague about my defender they ask me about off roading it (though usually only the men). Just a question of whether I could stand watching another man ruin her... It would be like watching another man sleep with your wife Laughing

I'll definitely set up a donation thing on here if the site rules allow me to (haven't read them Whistle) but I'll have to wait till monday, don't have our donation url thing with me, left it at work Neutral

I wouldn't have the slightest idea about where to start with abseiling off the forth road bridge, but it would definitely be something I'd like to do!!

Barbel jim, that's a brill idea, but I would have to either borrow someone else's balloon or ask another pilot to take them up (my balloon is stuck in Australia, and although I do have an FAI sporting licence, I've never flown in UK airspace Embarassed). I might ask around some people I know. Thumbs Up

Cheers guys, these are excellent ideas! Geoff
2007 Defender 90

Click image to enlarge
Post #209605 8th Feb 2013 8:38pm
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Ref Forth Rail abseil - google it. They do organised sessions 4 or 5 times a year, with innumerable charities benefiting. Over 500folk went up during the day I did it (not ALL came down by rope, some did chicken out - it is VERY high & can be extremely windy, exaggerated when a train rumbles by....)

Would do it again in a heartbeat, and I HATE heights. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #209727 9th Feb 2013 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>