↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 4 Channel Amp with variable HPF on both outputs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
4 Channel Amp with variable HPF on both outputs.
There are plenty of high end amps on the market that have variable HPF on both outputs.

Such as www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-sony-xm-gtr7040_p-27559.htm

However, this is not only overkill but large in size.

As I've decided to keep the standard speaker size, but upgrade them, I want to run a high pass to all 4 speakers and leave the low stuff to the sub.

It seems that most smaller amps are really aimed at running in 3 channel mode so a variable HPF is on the front and a LPF for the rear (to bridge to a sub).

I know I could get inline crossovers, but I'd rather just have a single box of tricks.

To be honest, the 52w (RMS of course) output of the head unit is doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the sub, but an amp will just give it the edge.

If anyone knows of such an amp that would be great! Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #208758 5th Feb 2013 11:16pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
could you not just amp the sub up ? only need a 2 way bridgeable or mono, turn the gain down to match the output of the head unit ? Rockford fosgate and a few others are doing small amps, not sure of the specs but about the size of 2 fag packets. Another option ?
Post #208786 6th Feb 2013 5:44am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I am trying to understand exactly what you have/ trying to do.

The one you have above will power either 4 speakers or 2 speakers and 1 sub.

Also, if you have 10cm speakers in the front which will have a max RMS value of about 35-45W any modern head unit will more than handle that (normaly 45-50W RMS). Most Headunits now also have the ability to adjust the frequency to certain speakers too.

I would say a good amp in the back to the rear speakers and sub will be the best bet- Just make sure you try to match the RMS values.... That one you put up has a brigged capacity of 160W at 4 ohms, which is pretty pathetic- my 12" sub has a RMS value of 250W at 4ohms so that amp wouldn't make the most of it.

What speaker values are you running in the car?

Sorry about the super short answer but I have to shoot off to teach First Aid.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #208788 6th Feb 2013 6:48am
x-isle

Thanks both for the replies.

The sub isn't in the picture here, that's already taken care of.

And sort of exactly how Barbel Jim mentions.

The amp for the sub is down-gained (just made that phrase up) to match the current output of the headunit, but as with most head units, even a powerful one such as the 52w (RMS), the sound is nothing like a seperate amp can produce, plus the fact that a HPF will then stop any distortion from low frequencies being passed to the speakers.

Therefore, the 4 channel is to be used as a 4 channel to power all 4 10cm speakers, front and back.

As you say Glyn, the input of the speakers isn't high, I think they are 35W, so yes, the head unit copes fine, but not as good as a seperate amp will, hence, why I only want a small powered amp, but the ability to High Pass. Unfortunatly, the head unit only has one filter and it's Low Pass for the Sub-out. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #208790 6th Feb 2013 7:36am
Glynparry25

To be honest I can't see you getting anything more out of a set of 10cm speakers by adding an amplifier.... well that does depend on your head unit though and how much you have spent on speakers.

My last pioneer HU had selectable frequencies for both front/ rear and sub.

for example: The Pioneer DEH-80PRS has 50Wx4 output- 22W RMS at 4ohm- this will be ideal for my 35W RMS at 3 ohm speakers which works out to being 26W RMS at 4 ohms- this means they are quite evenly matched (only 4W in it). Yes it is better to have a more powerfull amplifier so distortion occurs later on, but I bearly go over 30% capacity before it is getting too loud anyway.

All depends on your setup really- if you have 30W RMS speakers at 4 ohms, there really is no need to go for a 70/80W RMS at 4 ohm 4 channel amp- it won't even be warming up before your ears bleed.... and the sound difference probably won't be noticeable on small speakers- a better option would either be to get larger speakers or box them in.

Everyone seems to talk about 'Peak power' but that means completely nothing- the important figures are the RMS power and the speaker impedence.... Those are the figures that are used all the time.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #208809 6th Feb 2013 9:27am
x-isle

That head unit is pretty good as you say has output filters for each pair of channels.

Unfortunatly, my headunit (Sony BT-5000) doesn't have that and if I want it, I'll have to go and spend the best part of £300 to get a current equivalent headunit that does. Which is why I'm looking to amp the speakers to control the HPF which will cost (circa) £100. Plus SWMBO won't notice an amp, she'd notice a new headunit. Rolling with laughter

It's not to get it louder, the term Amp is often mis-used (as you sort of state in your ending comments for Peak). It's just to control the filtering, but at the same time will give the slight benefit of a cleaner audio as it'll not be driven from the headunit. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #208811 6th Feb 2013 9:37am
Glynparry25

Just tell SWMBO that the old one broke Rolling with laughter So what speakers (and values) are you running? I am thinking of changing from my Infinitys but not really heard anything good about any other 10cm jobs out there and was considering chopping to 13cm components.

I was asking a decent audio installer and he basically said that the majoprity of 10cm speakers are too restrictive for any good audio.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #208816 6th Feb 2013 10:14am
x-isle

Ha ha! Rolling with laughter

Yeah, I recon he's right, 10cm isn't great to produce anything big.

I have these Sony 10cm in the dash and in the back - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/car-speakers/xs-f1037se

Great thing is, the mounting pattern is identical to the standard ones, so they just screw straight in without any modification to the hole. I've left (for now) the standard tweeters on the dash.

As for the sub, I run an InPhase USW10 which I bought when I had my L200 as it fitted perfect behind the rear seats, now it sits perfectly on the back of the centre console. http://www.inphaseaudio.co.uk/products/enc...fer/usw10/

I have to admit, when I bought this, I wasn't expecting much even though it's been reviewed very highly, but although a self contained, it's great and very punchy.

I run the sub with a slightly higher frequency to compensate for the lack of the lower end mid range of the 10cms.

Like you, I can see in the future changing the 10cms for something a little larger such as 13cm.

As a fluke of luck, this morning I've managed to aquire a Kenwood KAC-749S 4 Channel Amp from someone. It's perfect for what I want, the power output is actually less than the headunit at 40x4, but has variable HPF, so it'll do what I need it for and it also means I've saved my pennies! Smile Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #208819 6th Feb 2013 10:28am
Glynparry25

That is a nice little speaker- good figures too.... not to mention the very cheap price tag.

I would have gone for a sub like that but was offered a 1000W 12" Fusion sub at a rediculously low price of £35 so opted for that route. Just deciding on what else I am putting in the back before I decide on an amp and make the enclosures. Plus the 12" should help me find rattling parts once turned up Rolling with laughter

It is always good to hear about other products and how they preform- especially when like me the last install I made has hasted me for over 5 years and technology moves on and even though what was awesome 5 years ago could now be seen as terrible. I am just about getting back into the swing of it all.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #208835 6th Feb 2013 11:05am
x-isle

I'd like something a bit more powerful and a sub in enclosure, however, I use the truck for transporting bikes and the MTB holiday I run it becomes a support vehicle packed full of luggage, spares, food etc.....

It's the reason I got a 110 to replace the L200, so filling in the space in the back isn't something I can do really, so had to settle for an self enlosed sub, which is then why I decided that a replacement 10cm speaker will do. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #208837 6th Feb 2013 11:17am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Take a look at theloudest.com for some interesting 10cm speakers ....
Post #208838 6th Feb 2013 11:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glynparry25

90W RMS from a 10cm speaker!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked , the magnet is bigger than the speaker

I guess the question is about the quality of the sound though

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #208869 6th Feb 2013 1:36pm
x-isle

Glynparry25 wrote:
90W RMS from a 10cm speaker!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked , the magnet is bigger than the speaker

I guess the question is about the quality of the sound though

Glyn Dog Sheep

Yep, like an American muscle car with 1000bhp. It goes, but it ain't pretty. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #208873 6th Feb 2013 1:38pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I have a pair to install in the FCX 130 along with their 6 x 9's and amps.

They look great from the front (which is all you see once fitted), I'll let you know what they sound like once fitted
Post #208875 6th Feb 2013 1:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Most the american stuff is reasonably good. I had some in phase coaxial 4 " in mine for a bit. they would go loud without distortion however......... The dash used to rattle and hum Big Cry Thus creating more work .
Post #208876 6th Feb 2013 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>