↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Tow ball bike rack & towing caravan?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Tow ball bike rack & towing caravan?
Anyone use either a Maxxraxx or Pendle 'behind tow ball' bike rack when towing a caravan?

I have an excellent Karritek slide down roof rack for carrying my bikes on the roof when towing my caravan. But I usually remove it out of season. So for occasional use Im thinking of also getting a rack that fits behind the tow ball, but will also allow me to tow.

Both Maxxraxx and Pendle do these. Anyone here use one successfully?
Post #208330 4th Feb 2013 4:48pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
We used to have a Pendle 'behind tow ball' rack (two bent arms that went into a block bolted behind the tow ball) on my Dad's old 110. I think it was the 4 bike version? But can't remember exactly. We did use it with the caravan once, but only once as far as I remember (I would have been about 13 at the time!). It was a tight squeeze and meant you had to be pretty careful about how much angle you created between the back of the Defender and the front of the caravan, particularly in reverse maneuvers. The other problem was that it was virtually impossible to get anything out of the back of the Defender whilst the rack was fitted - but that was regardless of caravan or not. We did use the rack a lot though, and also had it fitted to the Shogun after the 110. Just only used it the once with the caravan too.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the Pendle website I think ours was the Land Rover Rack. So we probably didn't ever use it with the caravan - maybe we thought about and then, on trying it, found it didn't work. So actually I have been of no use at all! Other than to say we had a Pendle rack and it carried bikes successfully. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #208334 4th Feb 2013 5:01pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
WarPig - I used to have a cheapy Towsure one...only a few quid but it did the job fine...
http://www.towsure.com/product/Clipper_2_B...le_Carrier Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #208338 4th Feb 2013 5:10pm
WarPig

Thanks Thumbs Up .

Martin was that the exact same carrier as yours? Did you use it with your Defender and did it have enough offset for the handlebars?

I appreciate these restrict acess to the rear door, but I can live with that.

My wifes bike doesn't have a crossbar but Ive seen that Thule do a TRLA982 Crossbar Adaptor that fixes to the bike so it can be hung off this tyoe of carrier.
Post #208348 4th Feb 2013 5:44pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
[quote="WarPig"]Thanks Thumbs Up .

Martin was that the exact same carrier as yours? Did you use it with your Defender and did it have enough offset for the handlebars?

[quote]

OOps, slightly misled..I used this on a BMW 325 Saloon, and never on the 110. I put my bikes in the back of the 110...

It was cheap and pretty good, but you would neet too remove the spare wheel to use it on the Defender.

I always faniced a Maxxraxx, but a bit pricey.

Lots more low cost ones at towsure http://www.towsure.com/category/Towbar_Cycle_Carriers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #208845 6th Feb 2013 11:10am
WarPig

Thanks for the link Thumbs Up

The Maxxraxx look a good option as the bike frames appear to sit into some sort of clip. I quess with the others I would need to strap the bikes down to stop them sliding on the bars.

Cheers
Post #208919 6th Feb 2013 2:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1