↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > shocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
shocks
OK got a small window of time to change out my shocks tomorrow. Rears are pretty easy. But what's the easiest way to do the fronts on a TD5 Def?

Thanks

Peter.
Post #207440 1st Feb 2013 8:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Look under Maintenance & Mods there's a great write-up
Post #207442 1st Feb 2013 8:18pm
Peter

Post #207443 1st Feb 2013 8:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Peter

Well that's was a bitch of a job, just doing the rear shocks. First one took a long time, second one not so long and had to redo first one as missed off a washer !
I had a look at the fronts, my bottom nut is 19mm btw,. Took the plastic cover off above the shock, and after having undone the bottom nut half way, decided that the top one might not come off as these are 8 year old factory fittings, and that the instructions were a bit vague in this area. Have decided to order new turrets and try again next Saturday, as not got the tools or time if can't get the turrett off.
I had to take the wheel off the front and drop the axle down onto a support, and then jack the chassis up a few mm as the stilsen needed the spring spread apart to get a grip on it.
Post #207857 3rd Feb 2013 12:23am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Peter wrote:
I had a look at the fronts, my bottom nut is 19mm btw,. Took the plastic cover off above the shock, and after having undone the bottom nut half way, decided that the top one might not come off as these are 8 year old factory fittings, and that the instructions were a bit vague in this area. Have decided to order new turrets and try again next Saturday, as not got the tools or time if can't get the turrett off.
I had to take the wheel off the front and drop the axle down onto a support, and then jack the chassis up a few mm as the stilsen needed the spring spread apart to get a grip on it.

Likely the old turret was a bit rusty anyway - you can buy galvaised ones... Thumbs Up

Odd your shock mounts are 19mm...mine (I posted the instructions) were definately 18mm.

If your old scocks are for the bin only, use mole grips on the shiny plunger rod (see thin rod on upper shock):

PS borrowed image

you'll need to damage the old shock to do this - but if they're for the bin anyway...

I would also be tempted (assuming you are keeping the vehicle) to swap the turret rings with galvanized ones...defenderbits (site sponsor) sell them:

If you didn;t live at the wrong end of the country ( Cool ) I would pop over and give you a hand Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #207896 3rd Feb 2013 9:38am
Peter

Martin, thanks for the reply, not sure about changing the turret rings, as might as well change the springs too.
I will give it some thought, yes might go down galvanised turret route, but kinda think galvanised iron is a misunderstood truth, as it can still rust, and I will only get them if they are @£14.00 as advertised online. BTW new shocks are OME nitro sports, as recommended by Giggle pin.
I have another 90 for playing and off roading, this one is more road hauling for work, as well as my car.
Post #208187 4th Feb 2013 4:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1