↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre rotation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rakthi

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Tyre rotation
Was just wondering ... anybody here do a 5 tyre rotation on his car?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

"Five tire rotation results in equally distributed use that will help maintain equivalent tread depths on all five tires throughout their life. When applied to many four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles, this is required to prevent driveline damage if a flat tire forces a new spare to be put into service with partially worn tires on the other three wheel positions."
Post #205797 27th Jan 2013 5:10am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I've never done it, but think it may be a good idea.

I've got a couple of Land Rovers with full size spares, neither of which have been used and I guess I'm wasting 20% of what I spent on tyres.

I might just start rotation, unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.

Cheers

Simon
Post #205809 27th Jan 2013 9:13am
ken

United Kingdom 
Never have never well IMHO it's a waste of time

Tyres settle in their positions why upset that
Post #205811 27th Jan 2013 9:25am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Loads of pro's and cons to this.

Can't do full rotation with directional tires- you can only move front to rear. Also with many other tire manufacturers they advise against changing sides when doing rotation.

If you have a winch etc the front tires wear faster- as a result you have to change 2 tires (about £200-300). If you do 5 tire rotation they will all need changing at the same time (about £500-750).

It is also a good idea to have your spare as good as possible as then if you need it it will be protected better against puncture off-road/ dirt tracks.... Outback drivers in Australia change their tires more often as the older a tire is the more likely it will get a puncture.

On the plus side- you don't have a brand new tire degrading on the back door, and you will never have any really old tires on your truck.

Every service I rotate mine front to rear as the winch etc accelerates the front tire wear.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #205813 27th Jan 2013 9:28am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Your drivetrain experiences rotational difference every time you turn a corner Wink

If you get a puncture, you put the spare on until you either get tyre repaired, if possible, or replaced. If repaired you put it back on and both tyres are roughly same again, if new leave spare on and put the new one on opposite and use worn take off as spare. I think you LR can cope with that Wink

Personally, I've got better things in life to do than worry about 5 tyre rotation Smile
Post #205814 27th Jan 2013 9:29am
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Whilst researching for the 2.2 Puma over the last two or three weeks or so I did come across something about this from Land Rover and the advise was to not rotate them.

Chris. http://shropshirelandrovers.freeforums.org

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Previous LR's: Michael, my 2008 Defender 90 XS SW.

Machinas oportet intrare non capsicum annuum faveo
Post #205882 27th Jan 2013 1:14pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I use a mobile tyre expert for my truck and other vehicles and he said rotating wheels and turning tyres on their rims is a huge money spinner for him and a waste of money for the owner. He reckons a unevenly worn tyre if turned will wear out just as quickly once turned due to it wearing out prematurely on the uneven band of trad. Keep them at the correct pressure and balance and track the fronts and they shouldn't need turning. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #205885 27th Jan 2013 1:18pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Always have taken off and rotated wheels on every make of vehicle I’ve owned (major service, 6,000 miles or so, yearly or whatever comes first) and always will:

An opportunity to check discs, brake pipes, corrosion etc.;

It gives me a chance to discover cuts on the inside tyre wall, remove half in/half-out nails, tacks and flints, check for less obvious damage to the tyre or wheel;

I won’t end up with a never-used spare (once one of ’em’s down to its legal minimum it’ll become the permanent spare and I’ll rotate the four “good” ones);

No worries about finding a possibly discontinued match - easier to buy four/five matching tyres, even experiment with another brand, than trying to source one odd one;

If there's any UNEVEN wear on one or other tyre, I need to sort out why…

Peter
Post #205939 27th Jan 2013 6:01pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
I keep mine where they are, if I move them about the car pulls to the right. Why? I spent alot of time at the stealership with this one and I cured it one day by moving the tyres around. My take is leave alone.

Merlin
Post #205979 27th Jan 2013 7:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
cinstone wrote:
Whilst researching for the 2.2 Puma over the last two or three weeks or so I did come across something about this from Land Rover and the advise was to not rotate them.

Chris.

Interested if you can dig out the original reference?
Post #206034 27th Jan 2013 8:50pm
Rakthi

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Birdy wrote:

I won’t end up with a never-used spare (once one of ’em’s down to its legal minimum it’ll become the permanent spare and I’ll rotate the four “good” ones);

No worries about finding a possibly discontinued match - easier to buy four/five matching tyres, even experiment with another brand, than trying to source one odd one;

Peter

This is one of the main reasons I would do it ... My spare is sitting in the blazing sun most of the time (sub tropics here). I figured by rotating it with the other tyres, I won't end up with a rotten spare tyre in a couple of years. Supposedly using the tire flexes it which keeps the "whatever compounds" they use doing their job to prevent dry rot.

Also have ended up more than once with a spare that didn't match the 4 others. Not a problem here in Malaysia where there is no MOT, but when still in Europe, it was an expensive pain.
Post #206150 28th Jan 2013 1:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1