↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Batteries - 2nd to partner OE for winch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Batteries - 2nd to partner OE for winch?
Just got a NuMax CXV for my Series 2, which got me thinking about a dual system for my Puma as I'll be buying an electric winch in the spring. At present its happily on the OE battery 5 years later (I drive almost every day of the year).

Should I for 2nd, buy another OE battery (is there room?), get an Optima as they're small (what colour top?). Or another brand. Or would a better single replacement battery be a more sensible solution? In which case, would another Numax do, or something better?

My Numax seems to have been replaced with the LV26MF... Idea Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #205482 26th Jan 2013 11:39am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
You won't get 2 OE batteries in the Defender seat box. As for fitting a second battery- you 'should' match your batteries otherwise you will reduce their life.

How much winching do you expect to do?

If you will only be using it every now and then (casual/ emergency use) I would say the OE battery is up to the job- and if it dies, then go for a new slightly more meaty version- the battery should be good for 8ish years of considerate use.

If you do prolonged winching (and at night) or have loads of other accessories on at the same time I would say the twin battery option will be better- then you are looking at 2 optima or 2 odyssey which you can get reasonably cheap mounting trays to keep everything secure in the box..

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #205524 26th Jan 2013 2:50pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
First question would be what sort of winching are you planning on doing?

Winch challenge events then batteries or even 3 might be best option.

Just for self recovery then only one battery in good condition. Self recovery on a green laning trip then you should not be too badly stuck and time is not important. Use double line half the load on the winch motor and reduced current draw on the motor.

Winch for one or two minutes then relax and gently rev engine to put charge back into the battery. Remember main function off the battery is to start the engine! Flatten the only battery due to heavy winching, stall the engine and you could be up the proverbial creek.

Going twin batteries?

I would suggest Odyessy over Optima. Just remember twin AGM batteries, battery tray, split charge system could set you back £750+ and that is on top of winch and winch bumper etc. So consider carefully your needs against your budget.

Brendan
Post #205642 26th Jan 2013 8:15pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Not to Hijack this thread,

but if one is fitting an auxiliary battery that is charged via a split charge/Voltage Sensitive relay, there would be no need to match the second battery?
Post #205648 26th Jan 2013 8:21pm
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Well how about 2 of these http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html

Can get a basic split charge set up for about £40

As already been said depends on your requirements. 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #205656 26th Jan 2013 8:35pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
These http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV35MF-P8275.html are too big for 2, but maybe 1 would do. Its the single I have for my Series 2 (because its alternator is not up to charging well), but there is more room in the bonnet space.

What chargers do folk here use? (a bit OT..) Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #205894 27th Jan 2013 1:43pm
Glynparry25

appaloosadude wrote:
Not to Hijack this thread,

but if one is fitting an auxiliary battery that is charged via a split charge/Voltage Sensitive relay, there would be no need to match the second battery?

Depends on the split charge...... most split charge systems/ relays wait until the main battery is fully charged and then links the 2. Also when using it for winching you have then 2 batteries linked together- so in both of these situations you will need the batteries matched.

As Brendan mentions- for general winching you don't need a twin battery system- just one good one Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #205897 27th Jan 2013 1:49pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
Glynparry25 wrote:
Depends on the split charge...... most split charge systems/ relays wait until the main battery is fully charged and then links the 2.

So then in essence, the second battery will drag the main battery down with it? Especially on short drives... Or am I getting it wrong...? Is there any split charge relay that will allow me to have a mis-matched battery. I have a 6 month old Numax 1000 amp jobby from Tayna, and do not really want to spend another £100+ on another one, besides the fact that my requirements from the second battery are minimal.

Or secondly, I fit another battery in parallel with my current one (thoughts on a postcard please)
Post #205907 27th Jan 2013 2:18pm
Glynparry25

What battery do you have? The important number is the 'Ah' number, not the CCA number. Then it depends on what winch you are thinking of getting.

For example- These are the figures for the two winches I have had fitted to mine:

Husky winch:
weights in pounds --amps draw [12V version]
0 -- 65
2000 -- 125
4000 -- 190
6000 -- 255
8000 -- 320

WARN 8274 winch:
weights in pounds --amps draw [12V version]
0 -- 49
2000 -- 182
4000 -- 286
6000 -- 385
8000 -- 480

So from the above you can start to see that the winch will decide what power needs you have.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #205910 27th Jan 2013 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1