↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Harrogate show 2013 - normal to expect bargains?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Harrogate show 2013 - normal to expect bargains?
I'm looking to attend the Harrogate show and wondered whether it is normal to get good deals on items such as Hannibal racks and driving lamp units at these shows?

If I could go firm on a purchase and arrange collection at the show from the seller would that make a deal easier to arrive at?
Post #205099 24th Jan 2013 10:25pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Deals at a show you'll be lucky Whistle Laughing Laughing I dont think there is such thing any more mate obviously you can haggle a bit and you'll save on postage and some people vat Whistle Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #205104 24th Jan 2013 11:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Cheers. Not looking to haggle or beat the tax man, just get a mutually agreeable price for a new roof rack and make the deal quicker, easier and remove p and p.
Post #205302 25th Jan 2013 7:40pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
That's if somebody takes one in the first place.

A show where people go to buy stuff......most traders make hay, whilst the sun shines and sell at full whack.
Though they do usually throw in a 'show special' as a token gesture.

Everything is so tight nowadays, people are squeezing every penny...on both sides of the counter.
Post #205310 25th Jan 2013 8:25pm
shazzy90

has the driffield show moved to new pastures,any confirmation on this,links ect,who is running show,will there be a off road course,any info on tickets,also any info for billing
Post #205321 25th Jan 2013 9:07pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Deals at shows?

The big problem for traders is that it costs literally thousands of pounds to go to a show. Not only price of stand, security fencing, marquee hire, fuel to get multiple vehicles to the show. Big firms have to pay for staff, smaller firms work on hired friends and a few hundred quid can soon disappear on food and drinks.

Then there is the closing off retail premises and loss of counter sales, a week or two before hand and after the show sorting out stock etc.

Think carefully how you approach a trader. Do not insult the trader by DEMANDING 1/3 off the price (Yes someone has demanded 1/3 off the price of £15 worth of gear from us! I will let you guess the response!) Consider how you are going o pay for the goods you want. Debit cards cost the trader less to bank, cash costs money to bank and credit cards can cost up to 15% to the trader.

Be pleasant with the trader if you are trying to strike a deal and be realistic in your expectations.

Just remember the trader is there to make a PROFIT! That is how the trader pays his wages. So do not be upset if the trader has no real room to move on price.

Also consider are you getting good advice and service from your preferred trader? To give good service and advice takes time skill and knowledge. How important is that to YOU?

Brendan

PS Edited to add, camping at the showground, off road course about 10 minutes away. Details here
Post #205323 25th Jan 2013 9:10pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
leeds wrote:
Debit cards cost the trader less to bank, cash costs money to bank and credit cards can cost up to 15% to the trader.

I never realised that cash cost traders money to bank, I assumed cash was king? So do debit cards now wear the crown?
Post #205363 25th Jan 2013 10:13pm
Skippy R

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Any business banking cash costs them money,my particular trusted establishment relieves me of 60p for every £10 banked, that's fair isn't it, NOT !! Dave
98 'S' 90 300Tdi (sold)
07 D3 HSE (now sold)
1993 Scania 143 450 (should have kept that ! )
Post #205374 25th Jan 2013 10:35pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Is that the beauty of Business Banking?

Probably explains why a mate who runs a one man garage banks only banks what he has to! 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #205392 25th Jan 2013 11:10pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ruddy 'Eck Skippy, I thought our bank was BAD, yours is not taking the biscuit, they are taking the cake and the icing too!

Cash is only king if you work in the cash economy.

Brendan
Post #205396 25th Jan 2013 11:13pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
credit cards can cost up to 15% to the trader.

Glad I'm not using that merchant provider Brendan Shocked That's about 10 times what I'm paying (not including terminal lease costs)

Can still add up though when you see the monthly statement from them.

Best thing about the shows is seeing everything in one place so you can decide what quality you want and what you want to pay. And as Brendan says there's a mine of information amongst the traders to take advantage of so you can make the best choice.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #205405 25th Jan 2013 11:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
American Express can charge 15%, which is why many UK suppliers will not accept American Express..

Card charges are complicated but as a brief summary they go something like this

Debit card? 2x pence

Credit card x pence PLUS a percentage of the transaction.

(Where do customers get their cash back reward from??)

Then there is the monthly rental off the card machine. Or you can buy the machine that costs hundreds of pounds.

Mobile unit for show? Sim costs

Then there is the merchant provider costs

Webshop? Worldpay charges.

Merchant providers and world pay have a minimum monthly charge!

Problem with a terminal? Err just rack up the phone costs which will take you about 20 minutes and is not at your local low cost rate!

Ebay apart from the insertion fee there is roughly 10% final fees. Paypal (owned by ebay?) charges roughly 3%

Suddenly your monthly costs soar.

Cash? Why do you think supermarkets especially at Christmas offer cash back? Less money to bank means less bank charges. Lower cash kept in store equals lower insurance premium. Less cash to take to bank equals lower cash van charges!

You can argue the rights and wrongs about it but as a company we prefer BACS or debit card payments.

Before anyone goes off about it being unfair, try and pay for your road fund tax by credit card online. Guess what the GOVERNMENT charges an extra 2-3% to cover their costs!

The good thing about shows is that you can inspect/compare/contrast goods in the flesh so to speak. You can talk to traders and hopefully get meaningful advice. Good advice/information in my mind is worth maybe paying a little bit more if you get the right equipment first time.

Brendan
Post #205410 25th Jan 2013 11:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1