↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 Intermittent Start Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
richardmcb

TD5 Intermittent Start Problem
My faithful TD5 is sensing that I might be upgrading to a new one soon and has decided to protest by failing to turn over and start. The problem is when you turn the ignition switch the starter turns over and then seems to stick or wont turn over at all. Try again and next time it will usually go. Battery is good and the problem might be worse when cold. Any ideas on where to start ? Could an injector be leaking diesel into a cylinder causing it to have difficulty in compressing on startup? Any things to check out first ?

Thanks

Richie
Post #32089 12th May 2010 10:23pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Check your engine earthing strap.
That's the most likely cause.
Post #32093 12th May 2010 11:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
It is common for the solenoid contacts in the TD5 starter to burn and thin. Eventually you turn the key and get the click but the starter doesn't turn. When this happened on mine recently I bought a repair kit on eBay (www.repairkitsuk.com). To do the job properly entails removing the starter motor which is difficult due to a hidden bolt behind the starter with very difficult access. I found that only one terminal on mine was burned and thin and it was possible to replace just that one and the solenoid contacter without removing the starter just by unscrewing the end plate of the solenoid. (Obviously you need to remove the battery.) Cheers, Guy.
Post #37359 31st Jul 2010 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1