↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Locked Me Out Today !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I do wonder if perhaps with the tired 'older' triggers are thinking the door card slider bit are being triggered with the vibration of the doors. Especially if you have the usual cracked section up by the slidy bit (cant think what the slidy bit is called).
Mine's certainly cracked so there a lot of flex and wobble up there and my glass rattles like a trooper with the door closing!
Post #412909 1st Apr 2015 10:28am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I havenīt had this happen to me on my two TD4īs, but good to be reminded that it does happen. Thanks!

Reminded me of an incident back in 1998, though. I had my 90 TDi for about half a year and drove over to the UK for the 50 year celebration at Eastnor.

On the return trip we stopped at the services just up from Dover. Returned to the car after 20 Minutes and it refused to start. AA, my own technical knowledge and all variations of helpful bystanders couldnīt get it to start. Diesel pump was suspected. LR Mobility flew us back to Germany and gave us a rental car.

The Landy, with trailer was brought back to the local LR dealer here in Germany....who then drove it off the transporter, and called me up to ask what the problem was! Rolling Eyes

When I explained, he laughed knowingly, and said it was most likely the factory immobiser that got "phased" through "electro-smog" at that particular location. He had had Freelanders do the same on a particular street nearby. It turned out to be a local shopīs high tech satalite dish that caused that problem.

Above the spot where we had stopped at the services there are power lines.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #412921 1st Apr 2015 10:51am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
When it's happened to me, I've stopped, turned the engine off, got out, walked over to get something, got back and it's locked. Not left for a long period and I've never gone out of sight of it. Thankfully only in our yard!
Post #412943 1st Apr 2015 12:58pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I had the same experience in an Hotel parking in Punta Arenas due to a heavy interference.
We lost at least 4 hours trying to figure what happens until a friend of us that works in the neigborhood and had a Defender said us that he have the same problem and when happens he move the Defender 100 mt using the slope and everything OK.

Also the problem increase if you extend the alarm antenna (as suggested in some posts here). the solution was to take out the speaker and make a shield for the cable with aluminium paper and voilá! Finally works.

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #412958 1st Apr 2015 1:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Not long after I bought my Disco 2 in 2002 I had a problem with the locking with that. If I parked on my driveway, the remote unlock wouldn't work. If I parked 20 feet away on the road, it was fine. The problem was repeatable and persistent.

Unlocking and remobilising on the drive was opnly possible using the EKA code, which, if you have had a Disco 2, you will know is far more hassle than it is on a Defender, and I was getting properly fed up. It workde properly everywhere else, just not on my drive.

Eventually I found (by borrowing some test gear from work) that the problem was a malfunctioning nearby TETRA cell, this all happening at the time when Hutchison Telecomms (IIRC) was setting up the TETRA network for Dorset Police.

I phoned Hutchison, and after eventually getting through to soemone vaguely competent and technical, was assured (despite my evidence) that it couldn't possibly be one their TETRA cells causing the problem, but the problem disappeared within an hour or so of my call and has never returned.

As far as random locking of Defenders is concerned, though, I still think it more likely that it is something to do with the switch in the driver's door - interference is more likely to prevent remote locking or unlocking.
Post #412967 1st Apr 2015 3:55pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Re: Locked Me Out Today !!
Retroanaconda wrote:
dgardel wrote:
Can you tell us how te LR Assistance "operate"?

With most Defenders pretty much ANY flat object that will fit in the lock will open the door with enough fiddling. A key of the right sort of shape/size, a spoon (hence comment above), a screwdriver etc.

When my central locking has locked me out (which it has done a few times) I've just used my house key to open the door. But failing that the general method for LRA or the AA or whoever would be to remove one of the rear 1/4 light windows and open the rear door from there.

See:

Not so flexible on a 25 year old 110 Rolling with laughter
Post #414265 6th Apr 2015 8:09pm
Dasher

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Mine did this to me in Doncaster. I could see as I reversed into a space that the Audi behind had come forward of his line but I was guessing as to how much - so I jumped out to have a look, engine running, phone in car etc etc and the wind blew the door to - clicks all round and me not very happy. Took two hours for Mrs Dasher to turn up from Nottingham with the spare key. I tried opening out the frame of the door but still couldn't get the coat hanger that I'd borrowed from a shop to lift the button. I also have a USW and Mantec grilles - so going in through the normal route wasn't an option. No idea why it did it - I to have spent ages on the drive trying to get it to happen again - no joy. If I'm outside the truck now and need the engine running, then the window is down.
Post #414588 7th Apr 2015 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234