↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Locked Me Out Today !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
I reckon Defender central Locking must have a mind of its own.

Mine wasn't used for a few days ;ast week and on passing the vehicle on the drive I checked it was still locked a couple of times.

On the 3rd day gave the handle a test and it was unlocked and the alarm disabled... the key was safely elsewhere and totally out of range of the blipper.

Pretty useless security really !

Jono
Post #360813 28th Sep 2014 5:46pm
munch90

England 
even if there is a fault on the central locking that unlocks the car , im sure the alarm should stay active , if you lock on the fob and unlock by key the alarm should still be active , I thought only may to disarm alarm is by the fob or eka code

are you sure no one played with your keys ? (in your house I mean )

anyone been trying to clone your fob ?
Post #360821 28th Sep 2014 6:07pm
Jonno

Not as far as I know and it was out of range, I guess somebody could have been fiddling. Hopefully that's the explanantion.

Jono
Post #360823 28th Sep 2014 6:11pm
munch90

England 
you say out of range , roughly how far ?

as you can be out of range and use the old trick of holding it against your head and sometimes it works , so maybe something ampifing the signal , only guessing really don't know but strange

has your defender had the aerial for alarm mod ?
Post #360824 28th Sep 2014 6:16pm
Jonno

Only 30-40 ft away, but generally it only works within about 10 feet. No no mod for the aerial.

I always suspected the rear quarter lights were a weak point but didn't expect them to just cave in as per the vid on youtube.

Have to get some of the Mantec or similar guards one day.

Jono
Post #360828 28th Sep 2014 6:25pm
munch90

England 
if its a hard top with full height bulkhead behind the seats and you have tools etc in the back then ok I would say get grills , if you got no bulkhead why bother as a sercurity matter as you got door glass that can be smashed , they will always be able to get in as long as you got any glass , you need to stop what they intend to do once inside that matters
Post #360841 28th Sep 2014 7:01pm
Nobby

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Well mine hasn't locked me out only because I remove the key......
It all started in a land far far away, back to reality, had an issue just after I purchased the 90 from Crapstone kept unlocking itself, they found nothing and the fault never returned. However a few months later I kept having locking problems, went through the Forum pages tried all manner of things and found if I removed the plastic surround on the drivers door the lever worked fine. Until Peterborough when I arrived it wouldn't lock and went in to alarm. Following that whenever the drivers door button was pressed it would lock it self. Required remote to open it, when sat in it if I pulled the handle it would lock it self again. Lesson learnt instantly remove keys incase door swug shut. So we come to today and I find myself with sometime to have a look. Off with the card and the backing, lever has worn a slightly bigger hole and moves a lot left and right. Noticed a piece of plastic, glued over the mechanism but all twisted and ripped. Either a bodge by Crapstone or a special land rover factory modification? Anyway plastic moved, mechanism checked and lever and plastic refitted. Still would not lock and alarmed....removed plastic surround and it now locks, again touch handle or button and hey presto it locks it self. At least I can sleep now.....well move the 90 in to its space and the button didn't auto lock....assuming it will alarm on locking but it doesn't Thumbs Up Not a happy situation but I think it's time to let Dick Turpin I mean the local Franchise to have a look?

Nobby _______________________________
Puma Defender 90
Post #360851 28th Sep 2014 7:20pm
Albert s

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
locked out of Puma
went to the tip yesterday and whilst unloading trailer of bottles and cans i left engine running and when i tried to get back in the doors had locked- luckily the sliding window wast fully locked and i had to scramble in via the window.
I looked stupid with my 2 legs flailing whilst trying to get in .
surely there must be an easy answer, leaving a spare key with alarm button underneath the vehicle seems a bit costly?? Embarassed
Post #412592 31st Mar 2015 8:41am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I think the motto here is never ever get out of the car with the engine running or keys still in the ignition. If your car is stolen while you have done this then the insurance won't pay out.
Post #412607 31st Mar 2015 9:47am
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I had similar but I had my keys.

Central locking armed itself but alarm hadn't, so my fob was inactive. My key barrel snapped before my ownership and never changed it.

The previous weekend I'd siliconed my rear windows shut as it opened itself (DC rear window) and hasn't to say ... I've done rather a good job.

After an hour of cutting silicone and getting no where, In the end I managed to blag some welding wire (on an industrial estate) and was in, in a matter of seconds. No wonder they're so easy to get in!
Post #412617 31st Mar 2015 10:13am
taazzukcb

Nobby wrote:
Well mine hasn't locked me out only because I remove the key......
It all started in a land far far away, back to reality, had an issue just after I purchased the 90 from Crapstone kept unlocking itself, they found nothing and the fault never returned. However a few months later I kept having locking problems, went through the Forum pages tried all manner of things and found if I removed the plastic surround on the drivers door the lever worked fine. Until Peterborough when I arrived it wouldn't lock and went in to alarm. Following that whenever the drivers door button was pressed it would lock it self. Required remote to open it, when sat in it if I pulled the handle it would lock it self again. Lesson learnt instantly remove keys incase door swug shut. So we come to today and I find myself with sometime to have a look. Off with the card and the backing, lever has worn a slightly bigger hole and moves a lot left and right. Noticed a piece of plastic, glued over the mechanism but all twisted and ripped. Either a bodge by Crapstone or a special land rover factory modification? Anyway plastic moved, mechanism checked and lever and plastic refitted. Still would not lock and alarmed....removed plastic surround and it now locks, again touch handle or button and hey presto it locks it self. At least I can sleep now.....well move the 90 in to its space and the button didn't auto lock....assuming it will alarm on locking but it doesn't Thumbs Up Not a happy situation but I think it's time to let Dick Turpin I mean the local Franchise to have a look?

Nobby

If they sus it out let me know Thumbs Up. Think mines a seized up mechanism. I took the bar that linked the door handle to the lock. Since removing that link it's been ok, but obviously the key would now do nothing (if that worked and didn't have half a broken key wedged in it)..
Post #412619 31st Mar 2015 10:16am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
The farm's TD5 has done that a couple of times. Just never leave the keys in it.

It seems like it's a pretty common problem affecting most Defenders with central locking.
Post #412785 31st Mar 2015 8:07pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
If I jump out for a PI!! I always drop a window just incase Thumbs Up
Post #412812 31st Mar 2015 9:40pm
taazzukcb

Pi Hey!? Razz

Post #412833 31st Mar 2015 10:20pm
martinfiattech

England 
So far mines behaved it`s self.

I`am just trying to understand the issue. Does the closing of the door /s trigger the central locking.

I just wondered how the fault could be reproduced under test conditions. I.e. Removing the door trims and tapping the motors, or micro switches ( if fitted ), wiggling the wiring looms. or tapping the 10 AS unit it`s self.
Maybe adding a spring to the motor it`s self to give it some pre load so the closing of the door/s would`ent set it off.

Any ideas ? Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #412906 1st Apr 2015 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>