↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Zambia,Botswana,Namibia - Jan/Feb
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Pic no 5 is on the 14km off road section to the Nkasa Tented Lodge in Caprivi on the Kwando-Linyanti river pic 11 was the destination.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #211885 17th Feb 2013 12:45pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Thanks. Looked like the route to Third Bridge in Moremi. 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #211913 17th Feb 2013 6:17pm
CR

Following on from my trip anybody got any advice where to go in Africa for a couple of weeks early December ?

Cheers

CR
Post #212893 21st Feb 2013 10:00am
Tarrel

CR wrote:
Following on from my trip anybody got any advice where to go in Africa for a couple of weeks early December ?

Cheers

CR

It's a big place. Smile Are you looking to ship your vehicle, hire, or drive overland from Europe? 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Post #212907 21st Feb 2013 11:07am
CR

The only way that makes sense is to hire due to time restrictions, believe me I fully understand the size of Africa, the white patch on the map of Namibia is the size of Ireland Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #213029 21st Feb 2013 8:51pm
Tarrel

Given the time of year (i.e. high summer), I'd err towards the south. Karoo in SA, or Kgalagadi Transfrontier park would be possibilities. Weather and under-wheel conditions are likely to be better than further north. Also, game viewing will be more limited as the wildlife is less concentrated around the waterholes during the wet season.

Another possibility would be the Drakensberg mountains in SA and, maybe, Lesotho. You could tackle the Sani Pass. 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Post #213080 21st Feb 2013 10:49pm
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
CR wrote:

Cheers

CR

What do you want to see / do?
Post #213192 22nd Feb 2013 11:12am
CR

amazing driving along with world class scenery and maybe some big game, less desert more mountains and forest this time

Cheers

CR
Post #214407 26th Feb 2013 10:48am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Namibia has some fantastic mountains and scenery, but it's desert landscape, and the best of it is really off the beaten track and not for the faint-hearted.

May I suggest starting in Cape Town and following the Cape Mountains, just inland of the coast, eastwards towards Lesotho, landing up in the Rhodes area. That'll take care of the mounatins and spectacular scenery bit.

We don't have great forests down here (in the traditional sense), but you will find decent indigenous bush along the mountain route above.

For big game you ave two options - the sanitised South African scene where you'll sleep in formal camps in places like the Kruger Park, or Hlulhuwe Imfolozi. the advantage of these is that they'll be easily accessible to you from the mounatins. the disadvantage will be the crowds and formal structure of the reserves.

Alternatively you will have to head north to Botswana (which you have just done) and/or Zimbabwe (Hwange). For game, especially predators, don't rule out the Kgalagadi, even though it's semi-desert and will be 40+ degrees every day.
Post #214979 28th Feb 2013 11:28am
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I rode a bike late Nov. from Cape Town, round Chapmans Peak Drive (possibly one of the nicest bits of road in the world IMO), did the touristy bits (see the Penguins, Kirstenbosh etc.) then rode north on the road to Nambia. Red bush tea plantations at Clanwilliam, Cederburg wilderness passes. Over to Karoo desert, Price Albert Rd & to Robertson to the wine lands. Only a small area of SA. but lots to do I was there for 17days and had been for 2 weeks previously. Two books I would recommend looking at for ideas are 'Passes and Poorts' for great roads in the Western Cape & 'On Route in South Africa' for good ideas on places to head for. Thumbs Up
Post #215091 28th Feb 2013 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123