↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Salisbury Plain warning ..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Strange that Jim, they have gone from the MOD link but appeared on a private persons page ?

There is also a little known law about filming/taking pictures of people on a public right of way that actually means the MOD 'could' be prosecuted for putting them for viewing in a public place without the individuals permission. Even with the individuals permission the person displaying the pictures can still, technically, be prosecuted.

The police went to great lengths to explain this to me when fitting security cameras, OK to film people/vehicles on your own land but NOT on the road/path outside your property. As the byways are what they say they are then if they 'were' MOD pictures maybe they suddenly realised what they had done and removed them pronto ??

Having said that, I have never heard of any prosecutions for such an offense.

I doubt we will ever know the truth but a bit of restraint and common sense should be used with the conditions as they are at the moment.

We had to call off our off road trip in Dorset this week as we would have damaged the lanes too much and could have contributed to a similar type of thing.

Personally I would rather wait until conditions improve and the risk of damage is minimal, there are enough lanes being closed as it is without me giving the tree huggers more ammunition Thumbs Up

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #197505 30th Dec 2012 1:38pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I spent all day on the plain yesterday as part of a group of four vehicles, my 110, a Disco, a 100" and David Lovejoy in his 110.

We had a great day, kept to the firmer routes and saw only a few other groups, mainly bikes.

We did meet one group with a guy from here, Pete, who looks but doesn't post much. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #197553 30th Dec 2012 5:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
bob neville wrote:

Does anybody know the area where the MOD pictures came from ?

I would take a wild guess that it was near Imber and if it was then I can see why there may have been complaints. A lot of people visit Imber church at this time of year and some do get annoyed at large convoys going past.

Bob

The pictures were taken by the MOD Police, the area in question is the byway to the west of Copehill Down Village.

The only access to Imber is the metalled road from Warminster through Imber to Gores Cross and the road from Haytesbury from 21 Dec to 7 Jan, there is no access to anything off the road.

The issue is not people using the byways, it is the dicks concentrating in one area and treating it as a substitute pay and play site, thats where the damage comes from.
Post #197694 31st Dec 2012 10:21am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Just as I thought then..... the "mud hole", like you say, attracts the twits who instead of just driving through, use it as a mini P&P site.

typical though that the armchair experts on farcebook start the vendetta page and slate everyone who was out on the areas that day.

Although why the ModPol didn't just move everyone on. I'm sure they could have thought of an reason. Driving without care & attention springs to mind (as used on other RoW's)
Post #197702 31st Dec 2012 10:48am
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Lighting the blue touch paper here Banging Head

What ever happend to the moto "Tread Lightly"?

Its hard to tell from this forum how many users are LR club members too, at a guess I suspect less than 50%. However as a long standing ARC/ALRC club member I have watched sadly the number of Green Lanes, BOATS, and other vehicular Rights of way decrease rapidly over the last 20 years.

I have even listened to colleagues bang the gong for "Tread Lightly" then a few weeks later give detailed joyous diatribes of winching their way through wrecked lanes in bad weather having a "Spendid Day out laning" Evil or Very Mad

Surely after the 2nd wetest year on record to date, driving vitually any unsurfaced lane causes a varying degree of damage, and it only takes a couple of big mud holes in an otherwise perfectly driveable lane for a Highways dept to gleefully rub their hands and apply a TRO prior to closing the VROW ultimatly rather than to fix it with their already overstrapped budgets.

I honestly think any responsible Defender driver would avoid laning in these circumstances, certianly I wont be out there in the mud.

Now where did I dig my fox hole, DOG help me out here !! Neutral He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #197709 31st Dec 2012 11:24am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
When I was at the mudhole on Saturday there was a warden in attendance and a lot of the motors on the northern side, where he was seemed to disperse, but I had the feeling that it was pretty obvious that it was just a "traffic jam" of motors coming from the south that was causing a hold up so just assumed he was using his common sense to let things disperse naturally without wading in with a heavy hand. Just his prescence was deterring idiots to faff about in the deep bits.
Post #197710 31st Dec 2012 11:26am
bob neville

Brewstop wrote:

The only access to Imber is the metalled road from Warminster through Imber to Gores Cross and the road from Haytesbury from 21 Dec to 7 Jan, there is no access to anything off the road.

Agreed and if anything like last Christmas it resembled a motorway Laughing

I have also found out that there was a warden at the mud hole, probably his pictures, and according to what I have been told the offending large convoys were known to him ??

Post #197729 31st Dec 2012 12:28pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
megatoad wrote:
Lighting the blue touch paper here Banging Head

What ever happend to the moto "Tread Lightly"?

Its hard to tell from this forum how many users are LR club members too, at a guess I suspect less than 50%. However as a long standing ARC/ALRC club member I have watched sadly the number of Green Lanes, BOATS, and other vehicular Rights of way decrease rapidly over the last 20 years.

I have even listened to colleagues bang the gong for "Tread Lightly" then a few weeks later give detailed joyous diatribes of winching their way through wrecked lanes in bad weather having a "Spendid Day out laning" Evil or Very Mad

Surely after the 2nd wetest year on record to date, driving vitually any unsurfaced lane causes a varying degree of damage, and it only takes a couple of big mud holes in an otherwise perfectly driveable lane for a Highways dept to gleefully rub their hands and apply a TRO prior to closing the VROW ultimatly rather than to fix it with their already overstrapped budgets.

I honestly think any responsible Defender driver would avoid laning in these circumstances, certianly I wont be out there in the mud.

Now where did I dig my fox hole, DOG help me out here !! Neutral

True, I don't believe in spending all day winching through an impassable lane for the sake of it. But conversely I'm perfectly happy to drive any lane I can get down in my standard car, at the end of the day I suspect they will all be shut within the next 5-10 years so I'm going to make the most of it before we're forced to go abroad for it Smile
Post #197811 31st Dec 2012 4:02pm
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Ahh the good old days, Pockstones Moor, Mastiles Lane,etc.. most of the good routes in the Dales are now closed, despite the clubs offering to help repair the roads.

And as for the farmer who trashed Mastiles in the first place

Quote:
I'm going to drive my Unimog up and down that bloomin' lane so you 4x4s cant get through!!

It wasn't the laners that killed those lanes but the anti 4x4 parties, then they blamed them on us.

I agree, that I will green lane still but only when the surfaces are relatively dry or frozen solid. He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #197836 31st Dec 2012 5:04pm
bob neville

Facebook page has now gone.

I wonder if the rumour was true that the said group of vehicles were part of a run organised for the army all traveling in groups of 8 who all met up at the mud hole ?

I guess we will never know the truth now.

Post #198220 1st Jan 2013 8:30pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
JSG wrote:
I spent all day on the plain yesterday as part of a group of four vehicles, my 110, a Disco, a 100" and David Lovejoy in his 110.

We had a great day, kept to the firmer routes and saw only a few other groups, mainly bikes.

We did meet one group with a guy from here, Pete, who looks but doesn't post much.

Hi there, not been on here to see the Facebook stuff, we did most of the Plain on the Friday, only saw 1 other group all day, did not even see any wardens at all.
Completely different story on Saturday. Was there an event on as saw people at mud hole with video cameras, they were packing up, as we gently drove past, just before meeting you, coming up the hill on the other side of it.

We were beginning to wonder if there was a one way sign on the tank run, as everyone else was in front of you. We decided it was too busy and went off to find somewhere quieter, as did not fancy meeting a big group on some of the narrower byways in the pouring rain.

One has to wonder if the locals complain after the army exercises when they use tanks all over the plain. That makes a real mess.

BTW quick Google search ref Imber on Saturday:

http://gagb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4786

Explains the crowds perhaps?

Cheers,

Peter.
Post #198297 2nd Jan 2013 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

Peter wrote:

BTW quick Google search ref Imber on Saturday:

http://gagb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4786

Explains the crowds perhaps?

Cheers,

Peter.

I did see three vehicles in Imber (a Frontera type thing jacked up with big wheels and a couple of cars) all with GeoCache stickers on them.
Post #198315 2nd Jan 2013 8:33am
diesel_jim

Went out on the areas today for a bimble whilst between jobs.

Saw a few other 4x4's and a few bikes.

Apart from 2 fairly muddy byways (one that comes from the CCDA south-west across (wet) grassland and looks to have been driven in the last 48hours) there is no noticible evidence of all 80 wheelspinning fire breathing badger killing vehicles from last week.

t'would seem we didn't break Salisbury Plain then... Thumbs Up Whistle Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post #199241 5th Jan 2013 8:00pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
it's not rained much this week although I did hear on BBC Wilts radio they are suffering from floods in Tilshead and Shrewton where the ground water is rising.

Plains back to normal access (ie Imber etc closing shortly)

Last edited by bpman on 6th Jan 2013 6:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #199243 5th Jan 2013 8:05pm
diesel_jim

Tilshead wasn't too bad... where the tank crossing is, near the John Deer dealership, is a "flood" sign, and the fields eitherside of the main road are waterlogged, but only a slight puddle in the road.

There is a torrent though back across the ranges by Wexland farm (SU131 485) where the water is running off of the low land. the cat1 graded tracks are almost at dust dryness again, but there is a river flowing in the ditches either side at this point (and it's partial tarmac underneath on the road down to the farm, so good for a wheel wash)

Imber wasn't too busy, dozen cars maybe. It closes 08:00 Monday morning.
Post #199248 5th Jan 2013 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>