↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
adiep

Gibraltar 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Oil Leak
Hi Guys, 2 weeks into owning my first defender i notice oil on the garage floor, turns out there is oil leaking from between gearbox and transfer box, apparently its coming from nearer the top than the bottom, and is due to worn seals.

Firstly, how can i check the oil level for this oil in case its low from leaking.
Secondly, any idea how many man hours to fix at a garage, also the cost of parts.
Thirdly, should I panic? Big Cry Laughing

Im expecting its not a small job to take those bits apart Sad
Post #195752 22nd Dec 2012 7:26pm
adiep

Gibraltar 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: Oil Leak
adiep wrote:
Hi Guys, 2 weeks into owning my first defender i notice oil on the garage floor, turns out there is oil leaking from between gearbox and transfer box, apparently its coming from nearer the top than the bottom, and is due to worn seals.

Firstly, how can i check the oil level for this oil in case its low from leaking.
Secondly, any idea how many man hours to fix at a garage, also the cost of parts.

Im expecting its not a small job to take those bits apart Sad

bump... no one have any ideas? Sad
Post #197138 29th Dec 2012 12:52am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Oil Leak
adiep wrote:

No, It won't help at all. Laughing Get a quote simple as that. Maybe worth getting quotes from both main dealer and good indi's if you know of one. Basically try a few places and weigh up your trust in them vs. prices and so on.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #197146 29th Dec 2012 1:16am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
First thing to do is clean the area so you can get a better idea of how bad the leak is an get a more accurate idea where it is coming from.

Then check the oil level in the two boxes, level and filler plug is on rear of transfer box by handbrake drum, half way up, and is removed with 1/2" ratchet and extension. Don't know what your gearbox is as you don't say what engine you have but for a R380, Td5 engine, the filler/oil level plug is on the side of the box and is a bit of a pig to get to, and requires a T55 torx bit.

Whilst you have the filler plugs out check the breathers for the boxes are clear. These are normally found at the Center of the bulkhead, under the bonnet. Blow down the pipe to check it is clear. There will be three pipes, transfer, gearbox, and front diff. If these are blocked they will cause oil leaks due to pressure build up when warm, if cleared may stop oil leaks, it did on mine.

Good luck

Andy
Post #197166 29th Dec 2012 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1