↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Favourite Audio Brand and why?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Favourite Audio Brand and why?
Hi all. I am having a lot of umming and aaaahhing regarding the upgrading of my pony LR Speaker system. I have narrowed down to 3 manufactures and then I have to address an elephant in the room.....but that comes later.

The 3 manufacturers I have narrowed down too are in the mid price range so I think will offer the quality I am after, I know you can spend 500 on a single 10cm speaker but that's not what I'm after. Manufacturers are Focal, JL Audio and Hertz. These are currently in ascending order as to my preferences but what is the best either out of these 3 (which I'm hoping people comment of) or am I neglecting a big player in the audio market that features in this price bracket?

The elephant in the room I refer to is the differences in spec. A load of numbers and letters that mean a little under nothing to me seem to distinguish between the quality of the speakers. All I want is to know what is worth getting out of these manufactures that offers the best value for money against quality of sound.

Can I please have some advise as I have been to a couple of audio places and they seem to just be after me buying the speakers they make most margin on which I'm not convinced is the best value for money that I could get or the best for a defender.

P.S..........I don't want Kenwood Steve. Whistle ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #195487 21st Dec 2012 7:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Favourite Audio Brand and why?
Lishlandy wrote:

P.S..........I don't want Kenwood Steve. Whistle

Bow down
Don't worry I was going to keep quiet on this one anyway. Whistle

Ken will probably be along shortly to recommend Focal. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #195493 21st Dec 2012 8:07pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
The best is whatever you consider to be the best sounding. If there was one 'best' then there wouldn't be the vast range available, they'd be just a couple in each price bracket.

However, it's difficult to pick a speaker you like as listening to them in the shop units or in another car won't give you an accurate idea of what they'll sound like in your car. The thing to do is to read reviews and look for their description of the sound they produce. Personally I don't like bright speakers (those with a elevated treble), while they sound good in an audition because you can hear detail in the tune you might not have heard before, they get tiring in the long run and give me a headache. I prefer a warm sound (where the emphasis is in the mid frequency) as it gives a pleasant sound that you can listen to for a long time without fatigue and it works well with digital systems.

Best thing to do is establish what type of sound you want and work from there. There is no right or wrong answer to this, just what you personally like or dislike. What sort of music do you listen to, what's your favourite driving music?
Post #195498 21st Dec 2012 8:18pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
yer who would have kenwood ay Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #195501 21st Dec 2012 8:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Killer90 wrote:
yer who would have kenwood ay Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down

Better than having a Parrot on your dash. Whistle Anyway stop going off topic. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #195502 21st Dec 2012 8:28pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
says the king of off topic Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Off Topic i aint got one of them anyways Whistle yet Laughing CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #195503 21st Dec 2012 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
AndyS wrote:

However, it's difficult to pick a speaker you like as listening to them in the shop units or in another car won't give you an accurate idea of what they'll sound like in your car... Personally I don't like bright speakers (those with a elevated treble), while they sound good in an audition because you can hear detail in the tune you might not have heard before,

That's interesting, I hadn't ever thought of it like that. I always seem to want the treble up, so I'm in the "bright" sounding camp it would appear.
Post #195504 21st Dec 2012 8:31pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Sound proof first.
Rainbow speakers are worth a look with the others you mention.
I've got a Nakamichi head unit. Good sound and blends in with the Defender chunky look. Nice and minimalist too as I hate all the flashing lights on most units.
A small focal sub hidden away will really sound good too.
Post #195530 21st Dec 2012 9:55pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Steve you have heard how quiet my Kenwood is Rolling with laughter
Post #195539 21st Dec 2012 10:07pm
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
Kenwood headunit with focal speakers in the rear and focal componets up front with a denson ipod dock 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #195549 21st Dec 2012 10:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
johnszs wrote:
Kenwood headunit with focal speakers in the rear and focal componets up front with a denson ipod dock

A man with taste. Thumbs Up

I dare not mention Kicker had I Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #195585 21st Dec 2012 11:57pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Thanks for the feedback so far, I have ample amount of dynamat to solve the deadening Smile. What are the best spec of the focal? Ken I believe you have the Kenwood K2's complete with focal stickers Razz . But before I commit I want to give the other companies above a look around, I know alive sell a hertz set up and have had experience of the JL audio units, just not sure which models to look at as there are so many. I listen to a variety of music dependant on my mood from jazz to rock and techno to classical so not sure what is best for my needs. Probably a mid range system.

Ill dog through some reviews....bloody piston heads keeps popping up as soon as I type anything speaker related and usually speaks about halfords and pioneer haha. Aaah I miss the days of my corsa an twin Fusion subs with infinity 20 speakers.... 'It was sick bruv'. ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #195590 22nd Dec 2012 12:05am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
don't know about car audio but at home its Linn, Cambridge audio and Cyrus
Post #195618 22nd Dec 2012 8:17am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
rossy wrote:
don't know about car audio but at home its Linn, Cambridge audio and Cyrus

NAIM and Meridian aren't bad either Whistle
Post #195624 22nd Dec 2012 9:18am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Take a look at www.theloudest.com ....
Post #195630 22nd Dec 2012 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>