↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My new steering guard on the 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Mal - When's it being taken by NASA onto the moon with those Lightforce's on there. Thumbs Up
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Off Topic Steve....coupled together with the J W Speakers I have more than adequate lighting for my needs. Heading back from Falmouth to Bournemouth just before Christmas in the middle of the night across Bodmin and Dartmoor the lights really came into their own. My Defender as you know isn't a workhorse but a 'plaything' and so it shall remain (only covered 1,900 miles between MOTs last year and it 'owes me nothing,' nevertheless it is 'comforting' knowing it is there if and when I may need it.

Currently got everything crossed for snow for two main reasons.....

1. It makes my garden look as good as everyone elses!
2. I've got a Defender don't you know?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #201093 12th Jan 2013 2:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
How about fog if I remember correctly isn't that what yellow filters are for? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201098 12th Jan 2013 3:09pm
K9F

Yes they are for fog. Got a clear set stashed in the Landy as well to swap over if required. It was indeed misty when I returned from Falmouth after all the rain we had (and are still getting). Prefer the yellow ones as it adds a little colour too.

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #201102 12th Jan 2013 4:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What power draw / wattage are they again Mal? I think my two are 16A or there abouts and 100w each. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201116 12th Jan 2013 5:09pm
K9F

custom90steve wrote:
What power draw / wattage are they again Mal? I think my two are 16A or there abouts and 100w each.

Same draw, same wattage but got mine fuse-relay wired individually with a 10 amp fuse in each. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #201125 12th Jan 2013 5:59pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah I see. (Hope Killer doesn't mind the OT convocation)
Mine are on a single relay as you can probably remember but since then I upgraded to I think it was 33A cable over kill I know but I thought the bigger the better. I also changed the section from relay in the engine bay to the lights to twincore 33A cable as I thought it was much neater. Similar to household lighting cable but for automotive use. SO far in nearly 3 years everything has been utterly faultless. Cool It didn't help when I started out having a faulty relay that wasn't working correctly. Thud Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201132 12th Jan 2013 6:14pm
K9F

Sure Killer won't mind. Thumbs Up

I too used 35 amp cable. By using fused relays such as the one below if I wished to add any further auxillary lighting I could run it off the same circuit and just upgrade the fuses accordingly. By wiring up the lamps seperately obviously each circuit splits the draw current and should I lose one the other will remain illuminated until a fix can be carried out.

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #201143 12th Jan 2013 6:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It is indeed a good idea that Mal all be it more work involved. I have wondered the point in fused relays though as surely the live cable run is best fused closer to the battery as I have done to protect the lot otherwise you have cabling un-protected. Unless of course you have both the relay fused and near the battery which at a guess I would imagine that is what you've done. I tend to fuse any power feed even if sometimes it's fused double if that makes sense as I always feel double measures is better than none at all. Of course I won't go out of my way to do that but if there is existing protected circuits there I do tend to do that. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201150 12th Jan 2013 6:51pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
keep going Thumbs Up Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #201161 12th Jan 2013 7:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

You can get carried away with protection, after all the fuses and relays are all quite a way from the battery. The megafuse which is rated at 400 amps is for the starter circuitry. As long as you tap off after 'Link 1' which is the 100 amp battery fuse which in turn protects fuses 1 to 4 and links 2 to 4 there will be no need for further protection as the fuse would rupture before the cabling ignited.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #201170 12th Jan 2013 7:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah I see. My spots are just from the battery terminal direct but fused within a few inches roughly 6" but that is the only fuse in the positive cable run I have no secondary fuse in that cable run. Same with my Amp except for a much larger fuse of course. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #201175 12th Jan 2013 7:47pm
K9F

A break in the weather finally meant I could sort out the bits 'n' bobs I had lined up......

Firstly fitted the newly powder coated steering guard......black to me is the same as white to Killer.... Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Quite some time ago I visited Moto-Lita and purchased a steering wheel.....

After much patience and attention to detail I revamped that too as the original lacquer had a few blemishes in it after a few years usage the boss and centre billet I retained polished but cleaned them up with metal polish and a fine rag.....

Click image to enlarge

Pleased with the end result, even had time to do a little cleaning......

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by K9F on 26th Jan 2013 4:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #205537 26th Jan 2013 4:13pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
That steering wheel looks fab. The nicest in a Def by a long stretch. My next mod methinks.
Post #205540 26th Jan 2013 4:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
K9F she look awesome mate and its made my mind up that i need to get my steering guard done and need those side step if i can afford it lol Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #205546 26th Jan 2013 4:30pm
K9F

Thank you both, not bad for nearly five years old methinks.....

Thud, you're not a million miles away from Moto-Lita, well worth the visit as you can 'try before you buy,' but take your own tools as they are not insured to work on your vehicle but are only too glad to help. See here: (certain pictures were removed to make room in my gallery some time ago)...

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3993.html

Stu, steering guard was 'third hand' an SVX one I purchased ages ago on the forum. It was already looking tired when I got it and had it done 'currant red' first of all. I then had to take an angle grinder to it when I bought the heavy duty bumper as it wouldn't fit with the recovery eyes in the bumper. Only cost me 20 for a subsequent strip and redone in gloss black. The sidesteps were standard. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #205549 26th Jan 2013 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>