Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rechargeable battery backup Sounder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rechargeable battery backup Sounder
Hi,
I know the Puma alarm system can have a Land Rover rechargeable Backup Sounder fitted but the OEM unit is fairly expensive and may also require an addition to the wiring loom.
My question - Can you fit a 3rd party rechargeable battery sounder such as this one;
[url] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Siren-1Tone-for-...3ef[/url].
If so, how do you wire it so as to sound when the battery is disconnected? I'm not an electrician so any advice would be appreciated. The + and - tve supply is straight forward but help with where to connect the white + trigger or blue - tve trigger wire has me stumped.
I would presume that as the sounder works even with all the wires cut it might require a constant + or - tve supply so once charged up if either is disrupted then the alarm sounds ? Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #194960 19th Dec 2012 7:28pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
All you're buying from the link is the sounder alone.

Yes you can fit an autonamous sounder but will require the remaining piece-part spares and wiring to complete. All the parts are readily available from RS Components. An undervoltage relay/drop out relay, 12 volt rechargeable NiCad battery pack and some wiring is all you need. With a suitable microswitch you can also hook up the bonnet too. When/if the main battery cables are cut/disconnected or the bonnet raised the undervoltage sensor picks this up and all hell breaks loose. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #194975 19th Dec 2012 8:01pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I reckon it might work you know.

It's a £18 gamble but I think you could add it to the current 'standard horn' sounder circuit

That 'horn sounder' has a permanent ground (black) and a positive trigger (orange and black)

Seems from the description it will trigger itself based on either perm +/- is cut

Maybe...,.
Post #194985 19th Dec 2012 8:29pm
WelshGas

Thanks K9F, but I just checked the eBay item and it has a rechargeable battery in the unit according to the description. I know it may not be the best or last the longest but it would be a simple fit and would alert me if something happened to my vehicle whilst parked on the drive. From the details:

Great add-on to Alarms For more Security
High quality (small size) battery backup siren adds more security to your alarm system with Single Tones. The built in rechargeable batteries make sure the siren keeps sounding even if all the wires are cut or the cars battery is disconnected!.

If this is the case how do I trigger it if the battery + or - tve is cut?

Connections:
Red: Constant Positive
Black: Ground
White: Positive trigger from alarm OR Blue: Negative trigger from alarm LANDYWATCH

Post #194992 19th Dec 2012 8:38pm
WelshGas

Hi Tiger,
My reasoning is that the red and black wires are just for recharging the built in rechargeable battery. The white wire is a + tve trigger. If taken from the built in alarm sounder then it would work if the built in alarm was triggered BUT would also work when the horn was sounded, maybe. If the blue wire is used I presume it needs to be switched to earth to trigger via the built in alarm, BUT this wouldn't work if the battery cables are cut as the built in alarm doesn't sound. Is my interpretation correct? Bow down LANDYWATCH

Post #195002 19th Dec 2012 8:53pm
Tiger

Does it not trigger if it's perm +/- is cut ?

Seems to read that way
Post #195017 19th Dec 2012 9:18pm
WelshGas

I have emailed the vendor and will post further details when he replies. Could be a good addition. Could have more than one set up on a Defender. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Post #195023 19th Dec 2012 9:57pm
WelshGas

You're correct Tiger. Heard from vendor. If the sounder is wired in with just the red and black power and earth wires it will sound off if either or both are disrupted. So it is worth a punt to see if it works OK. Plan to fit one under the bonnet and one in the back using the permanent feed found on the Puma wiring loom. Will report back. Whistle LANDYWATCH

Post #195158 20th Dec 2012 5:26pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The issue with these for me is re-setting after an accidental trigger - say you disconnect the battery for some work.
The unit has to be reset with the provided key no? So would need to be fairly accessible.

The LR unit can be reset with the fob and you can disconnect battery by following the on-off procedure with the ignition key. I know its a lot of money for the original unit for occasional convenience of re-setting.
Post #195325 21st Dec 2012 11:38am
WelshGas

You are correct kmac, the whole idea of this Battery Backup Sounder is to make a noise IF the power or earth leads from the battery are cut. I don't care if the unit can be easily found. It will continue to sound until it is destroyed as it is self contained. For £50 I could have 2 units in the engine bay and 2 in the cabin. I would know where they are and would have the keys. Easy to disable if doing work on the battery etc:. as I would know where to look. Also having more than one of something in plain view that doesn't stop until you destroy it could be a little unnerving to anyone but a highly professional team of Censored . and no vehicle is immune to such a team.
Question. Does the Land Rover battery backup unit have its own sounder, or does it just provide backup auxiliary power for the 10AS unit?, which it must do if you can turn it off with the remote. What happens if you disconnect the standard alarm Sounders?
All I want to do is make a hell of a racket if the power cables are cut to maybe frighten off the little Censored Whistle
We'll see how good the unit is and report back. LANDYWATCH

Post #195393 21st Dec 2012 5:19pm
Tiger

It is a self contained sounder.

Works in addition to the standard sounder so if you cut the wires to the standard sounder it would still be effective
Post #195396 21st Dec 2012 5:26pm
WelshGas

Good to know. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Post #195408 21st Dec 2012 5:58pm
WelshGas

Well, finally got round to fitting the BBS I purchased.wired into a permanent live and earth with a 5 amp fuse. Disconnect power or earth and the sounder starts ( single or 6 tone ) and will only stop if disarming key is used, power or earth reconnected or the sounder physically destroyed, and it is well made, so will not be quick to do. The unit is well sealed so can be fitted underneath the vehicle or wherever. It should give anyone who try's to disrupt the battery supply a little surprise, and would certainly alert me if it happens on my driveway. I have a second one that will be fitted, so a double shock for the little Censored . Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter LANDYWATCH

Post #201584 13th Jan 2013 10:21pm
richardg

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just fitted one of these sounders to my Puma. Not the loudest sounder I have ever come across but good enough and as stated above reasonably well made. It is possible to pick up the wiring in the standard vehicle harness so that it gets permanent power plus an alarm trigger signal. If any-one would like details please PM.
Post #292230 21st Dec 2013 5:46pm
110 John

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Right chaps My Puma has the factory fitted alarm no siren just horn I have bought recently a sigma s30 alarm system and have it partially fitted but running 2 alarms side by side is a pain I take it I can remove the S30 and use the BBUS siren from it to connect direst to the factory alarm would that work ok its a 3 wired one well 4 but ones for the bonnet switch so where on the puma 2009 is the connection point for the siren
Post #305040 4th Feb 2014 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>