↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Defender problems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Defender problems?
I've just been looking on Disco3 forum, I clicked on 'New Posts' (around 6 pages, not been on for a week)and a very large percentage of posts are all technical problems, failures.. including engine, people needing turbos, battery trouble, suspension, fuel burning heaters etc etc.
It looks quite scary Shocked

So, Defender problems? We ain't seen nothing.
Post #193644 15th Dec 2012 8:52am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
yeah... I'm not sure about the d4's but to change a turbo on a d3 it's a "body off" job... If I change, it will be for a G-Wagon
Post #193646 15th Dec 2012 9:03am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Whilst I do have a soft spot for D3s it always amuses me when I see the huge volumes of 2005 - 2008 models on sale here in Ireland on the car websites ( with like 5 owners !) - and they are sooo cheap as chips. Because everyone knows they all need ruinously serious money spent on them. If only I was a Land Rover trained mechanic ....
Post #193652 15th Dec 2012 9:21am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Now't wrong with our D3........ goddam it, thats bound to have jinxed it...

Still in the words of Jay-Z

Quote:
If you're havin' D3 problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my 'fender ain't one
 Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #193653 15th Dec 2012 9:24am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
A friend has an early one bought sh from a main dealer. They got an extended 12months warranty for it. It spent an inordinate amount of time being fixed, such that when the applied for warranty for another year the dealer apparently loaded the premium such as to make it unaffordable. Allegedly. They are very nice ant totally capable but I ain't having one, far too delicate. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #193666 15th Dec 2012 11:17am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Go on any forum for any vehicle, product or service and they are all biased towards the problems, as generally you're using a forum if you need help, not if everything is going swimmingly.

Lots of niggles and issues reported here with Pumas - hoses popping off, gearboxes, diffs, clutches, vacuum pumps, water leaks, etc etc....  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #193669 15th Dec 2012 11:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
We bought our D3 new in 2006

It's needed a few bits and has cost quite a lot of money compared to my 110s

Good points:
Size - It just swallows everything
Easy to drive and very relaxed on long journeys and is very comfy, also it's hard to quantify but it's also a very confident car in rain, snow etc which makes driving any distance more relaxed.
Versatility - Carry 7 people, Become a van, Sit on the boot, Have picnic inside, Get from the front to back without exiting the car.
It's taken 6 years of family abuse and has stood up well. After a thorough clean and it still looks good.

Bad Points:
It's expensive to run (25mpg, High dealer servicing costs, Expensive tyres)
On the whole it's been reliable but it's had a few niggles (new rear suspension air bags, 2 new height sensors, new fuel lines, new EGR valve)
Eats headlamp bulbs

It's just done everything we've ever asked of it. Carried seven people when needed, hauled our tents, bikes and kids all over Holland, Germany and France on holidays. It's got us through snow in Wales. The lower tailgate has been a seat for putting wellies on and a nappy changing table. When we moved house all the seats went down and it became a van that we shifted beds and wardrobes (the wider aperture at the rear makes it better than my 110 in this respect).

And here's the rub

I love Defenders, (I've got 2 110s on my driveway at the moment) and they are brilliant

But the D3 is better Shocked (even with niggles)

Link to nostalgic 1st post on d3.co.uk http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post47173.html#47173
Post #193671 15th Dec 2012 11:25am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
bpman wrote:
to change a turbo on a d3 it's a "body off" job

Not true!  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #193678 15th Dec 2012 11:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Martin - Careful here or you maybe in breach of his 'freedom of speech' Mr. Green Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #193679 15th Dec 2012 11:51am
wslr

United Kingdom 
Well it is if the non body off procedure doesn't got to plan.

Engines:
Other than engines going pop due to oil pump castings failing on higher mileage engines (or possibly due to poor cam belt changing and over-torquing bolts), the engines are OK. I find them rattly and knock on start-up, as though oil pressure is low. They are poor on economy, some do 20mpg, others 32. New engine is around 7k.

Transmission:
Clutches on the manual boxes are expensive - around 2,500 is what the dealer would charge. Actual manual box good. Auto boxes never get serviced and are a right pain to sort out. Diffs fail, especially early front ones which had the internal paint break down and contaminate the oil. Breather also needs changing. Transfer box ECU's fail as they get covered with rain water where they are located.

Brakes:
They eat brake pads for breakfast. Electronic park brake can fail at any time and is a pig to change because if access to the actual unit and rusting cable mounts. 450 + VAT just for the part now. Brake pipes rust fast and bad.

Suspension:
Generally air suspension OK, but now the the AMK compressors used on the D4 are being fitted (or made to fit) as the Hitachi efforts were a joke. These are around 600 to fit and re-program with SDD. Loom issues around the front o/s and rear under spare tyre of the vehicle are a pain. Front lower wishbones are needed every 50k as either one of the two bushes fails, or the ball joint has excessive play in it. Anti roll bar links and bushes rattle around as well. Steering racks are rubbish and the tie rods also rattle around like the anti-roll bar parts.

Tyres cost a fortune, and it doesn't take much play in the suspension, or a poor calibration to make them u/s.

Door latches fail for a pastime.

A battery is now over 200 + VAT. Alternators fail for a pastime, as they are mounted low down and get drowned when wading.

The 105k service involves not only a cam belt change but also a rear fuel drive belt, which is pretty much inaccessible except for a Extra Terrestrial with eyes on their fingers and two elbows on each arm. (STILL not addressed with the SDV6!!!)

Sorry, but I'm stopping this now with a positive - The T5 chassis is good and doesn't rust.
Post #193683 15th Dec 2012 12:15pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Quote:
(STILL not addressed with the SDV6!!!)

Just look how long product development and learning time they've had on Defender and still haven't adressed:

Rusty caps (replace caps with bulkhead / doors / in fact any steel part)
Leaking
etc
etc
etc

LR aren't the quickest at addressing issues Rolling Eyes
Post #193692 15th Dec 2012 12:56pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Body off job, for a turbo...It is poss to do it with body on. But it ain't pleasant. It ain't pleasant at all.

If anyone asks me about d3's, I'd recommend a v8 Cool

I'm sooo glad I never had one... I'm still loving my td5 90 Cool
Post #193701 15th Dec 2012 1:14pm
dgardel

Italy 
bpman wrote:
yeah... I'm not sure about the d4's but to change a turbo on a d3 it's a "body off" job... If I change, it will be for a G-Wagon

on the new "G" 6 cyl V (350CDI) if you need to change the starter ......

.....it's a "body off" job also......

fot the D3, if you have "patience" you can change the turbos without taken off the body.....

Speak for experience... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #193708 15th Dec 2012 1:33pm
TopQ1967

Netherlands 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Buckingham Blue
Before my Defender, I had a Discovery 3 v6 HSE. I was one of the first that got the car in January 2005 and did more than 285.000 Km in it. I was run quit often to its limits, and had only 3 fines for speeding. Besides normal services I had a automatic transmission overhaul at 250.000 Km. A rodent built its nest under the battery (where the computer sits). So this was chanced also after it burned out! Further no problems

Now I have a Defender 130 since April last. It went 4 times to the dealer for different hose problems.
I travel at much lower speeds. I have already two speeding tickets (just 5 Km over limit).

Otherwise it is a great car (that is difficult to park in the City).

Cheers

Q.
Post #193829 15th Dec 2012 8:29pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
GREENI wrote:
If anyone asks me about d3's, I'd recommend a v8 Cool

Absolutely. It's a tough lump.

Tiger wrote:
Just look how long product development and learning time they've had on Defender and still haven't adressed:

Yep. Another classic is LR diffs - FFS, how long have they had to develop those.
Post #193863 15th Dec 2012 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>