↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > A tinny noise saga !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
A tinny noise saga !
long time lurker with my own long story of monthly visits to the stealer here, the one issue that has only just been resolved was a tinny rattle from the rear when going over rough road (like corragations) it sound'd like a big empty tin can bouncing around in the back, well after taking a number of stealership staff out for a drive to hear the noise (6 times plus and they all heard it) i found out that one of the garage staff drives a defender so had a quick chat with him and before he went out for a drive he found that the bush's for the rear shocks where so loose that he could visably move them by hand and by that i mean no prying just his hand, this is after 6 diferent visits for a noise from the rear, well after the one compedent mechanice had sorted the shock bush's the noise was still present and that it was the rear U joint on the prop shaft, has anyone had a similare prob not with the stealership we all have had that but with the a U joint? Mad Mad Mad Mad sorry about the rant.
Post #14505 22nd Aug 2009 11:46am
Cannonball

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Exactly the same problem with mine, still not solved yet. Thought it might be related to the whine from the rear axle/diff when lifting off on the motorway from 120kph to 70 kph, but dealer says a whine is normal. I'm not so sure as I believe the whine is excessive. Presently the dealer is still trying to solve the problem, from new, of a severe knocking in the drivetrain when coming to a halt after a longish run of 150km or so. Had the usual 'fixes', such as replacement handbrake, shoes, clutch/flywheel but still not sorted. According to the dealer, LRUK are becoming very reluctant to sanction replacement parts compared to a year ago when financial conditions were more favourable. At present they think it is the transfer box and are awaiting a replacement on back order. I'm not confident that this will make much of a difference and eventually they will have to address the axle/diff problem to finally sort it. I recall there was an issue of poor quality differentials being supplied to LR and that the supplier is no longer in business. I believe that replacement diffs are on a long back order. I would be interested to hear of any other members with the same ongoing problems.

Living in hope!
Post #14507 22nd Aug 2009 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1