↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Axle backlash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Axle backlash
Following on from asking about my diff I went out to see how much backlash is in the front axle.

Below is the result (links to a video on photobucket)

I'm more than happy defenders will have a bit of free play, but surely this is to much?

Any thoughts Question

Post #188176 25th Nov 2012 11:00am
ajps72

2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Chawton White
Re: Axle backlash
looks pretty normal to me, with that test you are adding the play on the axle and the differential.

if you take off the wheel and the small rubber guard on the center you will see the play on the axle. Augusto

Defender 110 TD5 2001
Discovery 4 TDV6
Post #188185 25th Nov 2012 11:36am
Phoenix90

Thanks.

I may be worrying about nothing but it is the diff i'm more concerned about. I've got the rubber cap off in the vid (although you can't really see) and there is pretty much no play between the drive flange and shaft so I think it's nearly all from the diff?
Post #188187 25th Nov 2012 11:41am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Don’t know if it’s the same, but I had a lot of ‘take-up’ in the transmission when changing gear. Sort of a clatter. To cut a long story short, it was the pin in the front diff that had sheared. The play wrote off the diff.

Hope it’s not that, as it is an expensive bit of metal. And four hours labour.

Merlin
Post #188190 25th Nov 2012 11:57am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
That's fine, don't worry about it.

Remember in the front axle you've got three splined joints on each side, plus the backlash in the diff itself (of which there is meant to be a small amount). This all adds up
Post #188192 25th Nov 2012 12:04pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
When i had my ARB lockers fitted Devon4x4 showed me the old diff unit - forget which end - but the pin holding the gears in place had fallen out/was working loose and was a few miles away from letting go...a happy coincidence.

having replaced the diffs, the half shafts and end caps with lockers/heavy duty versions there was some, but not so much, reduction in backlash - i put this down to this being the result of the sum of a lot of small backlashes adding up, or another part of the trnasmission not replaced - e.g. transfer box, gear box, splines etc. I checked the props for play - but nothing.

Anyway - many thousands of miles later and there are have been no problems. I personally would be more concerned by whining or chatter, vibrations etc than backlash per se.

there is a post on here somewhere that talks to the 'normal' angular play - i think at the prop - measured in degrees
Post #188253 25th Nov 2012 5:00pm
Phoenix90

Thanks Steve, i'll have a look for it.

There are no whines etc. Just seems a lot of movement to me.

It may be worth mentioning this is the just the free play in the axle / diff. The amount of movement seen in the video doesn't turn the prop shaft at all.
Post #188256 25th Nov 2012 5:07pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Phoenix90 wrote:
There are no whines etc. Just seems a lot of movement to me.

It may be worth mentioning this is the just the free play in the axle / diff. The amount of movement seen in the video doesn't turn the prop shaft at all.

That's fine. There's splined interfaces between CV and drive member, half-shaft and CV, and diff and half-shaft. Add to that the freeplay between the internal diff gears, plus the backlash between the diff crownwheel and pinion and there's an awful lot of movement possible before you reach the propshaft.

Plus there's the play in the other side all the way to the other hub, which will be apparent as it's an open diff.

SteveS has it right. Small amounts of backlash are not an issue, things like vibrations and play in proshaft UJs or pinion bearings are what you need to be more concerned with.
Post #188259 25th Nov 2012 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1