↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > 110 and Caravan how hard can it be?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
T5bnc

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
110 and Caravan how hard can it be?
So I’m thinking of buying a 6-birth caravan, to be towed by my 110. Now i am pretty nifty with a trailer as i have been reversing them since i was a boy. I’m thinking this could be great and a lot of fun for the wife, son and I. With visions of us touring Europe the wife loves the idea and the Internet trawl begins…

But... and there is always a but! The 110 is at least 4m long and a six birth caravan is at least 8-9m long. Glass of wine in hand pacing up and down the street, in the rain, in man size strides the wife has cottoned on to the fact this is about the same length as an artic lorry! The panic has started!! "How the bl**dy hell are you going to manoeuvre that around the coast of... Well any coast come to think of it”! She says. I reply in my usual manor... "Love it will be fine".. And the usual response to that is i know what that means you are going to get us stuck somewhere like the last time we hired a motor home... She had a point!

So her suggestion to me was “can you go on a caravan type awareness course”, you can imagine my initial thought on this... not bl**dy likely... Then I thought well actually if it keeps the better half happy and I might just pick up some useful ray of sunshine on the knowledge front why not..

Where am I going with this? who here has videos or pictures of your landy (preferably a 110) towing a big caravan around some really challenging landscapes? As that is what this really boils down too.. The wife needs some reassuring. How hard can it be?????????????

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #187501 23rd Nov 2012 4:11pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
A 110 with a 16' Ifor - not a very challenging landscape though (and now I tow the trailer with a 130 that's even longer)

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #187508 23rd Nov 2012 4:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T5bnc

Go Beyond wrote:
A 110 with a 16' Ifor - not a very challenging landscape though (and now I tow the trailer with a 130 that's even longer)

Click image to enlarge

Love it! nice pic. 8)

Post #187511 23rd Nov 2012 4:24pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thank you Embarassed

This was the 'Before' picture Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Post #187514 23rd Nov 2012 4:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I was just Googling for a pic and came across this, not seen it before,

Can't help with the caravan, but I'm towing my daughters school rowing trailer next weekend and it's longer than an Eight at 55 feet (17 meters), I'll let you know how I get on.
Post #187517 23rd Nov 2012 4:36pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Not on the road I hope, won't be legal ...
Post #187518 23rd Nov 2012 4:41pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
we tow the boat... which might not be caravan shaped but it's a good 25ft.. my defender is only a 90 but the discovery manages fine, usually stay at lake annecy / lac leman (geneva) and had some experiences on the campsites getting to the 'launching ramp' no photos sorry... would of made a corker one of them, the boat had to fit through a gap between 2 trees which was an inch too short on one side, letting down of tire pressures, 4 people hanging on the side of the boat, the lot... your forgetting its a land rover, what possibly could go wrong.
Post #187523 23rd Nov 2012 4:57pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I used to tow with Disco's then the family preferred the Defender

Click image to enlarge

Then I changed the Defender for a proper one

Click image to enlarge

Our house is in one of those poxy 70's build housing estates that thought everybody just drove Mini Metros or Fiestas and it allways got the neighbours curtains twitching when the Pikey's turned up before and after trips away!

Click image to enlarge

The only issues I ever had were with undulating ground as the longer the caravan the smaller the wheels became lessening the "breakover" and added to the risk of grounding but more of an issue with the 90 than the 110 :thumbsup:

Post #187525 23rd Nov 2012 5:01pm
ken

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Preferred some of the HET stuff thou in and out of AWE ALD
Post #187537 23rd Nov 2012 5:19pm
pjb

Not sure I have any photos but used to tow a big Bessacarr twin axle with a 110 the only problem I ever had was trying to back it on to a caravan pitch when the one in front was occupied as steering lock is c Censored p

Otherwise was superb went everywhere, all over Scotland before we bought a motorhome

Go for it Thumbs Up 2020 P300 HSE
Post #187539 23rd Nov 2012 5:27pm
Lorryman100

The caravan club runs a towing course as do some driving schools. Personally driving an artic over narrow roads is a lot easier ( dare I say more fun? Twisted Evil ) than towing a caravan as any other potential road user meeting you head on tends to make them Censored their breeks at the sight of a 44 ton artic screaming around the corner on narrow roads which does tend to lend to them giving way. Sadly towing a caravan does not always bring out this same tendency to give way when you meet them head on and sometimes they expect you to yield even though you are the one towing. I have towed our vans all over the UK including some narrow coastal routes without any issues and as you have been towing for years I would say you would have no issues either. I would say to go ahead and do it, as the freedom it has given us especially with being able to holiday with the dogs is brilliant. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #187547 23rd Nov 2012 5:49pm
T5bnc

Fare play guys thanks for all the pics and stories keep them coming i say! it is a whole new world i am going to show the good old ball and chain this weekend i am sure she will be equally inspired as I.

LikeOMG great story would have loved to have seen those pics! Laughing

iruffell get some picks up after the "event"

Ken - Your rig looks epic! very similar looking to mine.. where did you get your awning from if you don't mind we asking?

Thanks all

Ben
Post #187553 23rd Nov 2012 5:58pm
Castillo

Finland 
Hi! My defender with caravan Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

edit: And now it seems to be longer Wink

Click image to enlarge
 defender 110 td5 2006

Last edited by Castillo on 24th Nov 2012 2:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #187602 23rd Nov 2012 7:50pm
mobilecentre

United Kingdom 
I squeezed our 110 with a 7m+ trailer onto the Chunnel OK

Click image to enlarge
Post #187614 23rd Nov 2012 8:02pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Castillo wrote:
Hi! My defender with caravan Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Now that's a proper caravan Thumbs Up
I use the 130 with the rib and have no problems Mr. Green
Post #187730 24th Nov 2012 1:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>