↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Red Booster - Clutch assist device
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Red Booster - Clutch assist device
Ok,maybe only my parentage but my aging father who has always driven Defenders or series3 or Series2 SWB. Has problems with the heavy weight of the TD5 Clutch, yes its heavy, but most able bodies under 70 year olds aren't bothered as it adds to the fun.

Has anyone out there got a red booster fitted on their TD5 clutch and are there any problems with it ?

Thanks

Peter
Post #183647 10th Nov 2012 12:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Although I haven't done the mod myself, I would suggest the spring mod before forking out £540 for a red booster. Just my opinion 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #183654 10th Nov 2012 12:51am
Peter

Spring has been done by dealer, and it only £300 now. His 2005 XS TD5 has only 23k on clock BTW. My 2005 TD5 has 34k on the clock and is, I think stiffer on the pedal. I don't really want to debate it, has anyone actually installed and use it.
Post #183658 10th Nov 2012 1:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I believe JasonG4110 on here has one on his TD5 110. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #183668 10th Nov 2012 8:52am
andbeacha

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
A friend first showed me a Red Booster in his Tdci Defender and I was amazed how light the clutch was. I decided to get one 6 weeks ago after I fractured my left knee. Its a great peice of kit and once you get used to not putting your foot through the footwell it makes driving a lot easier and quicker gear changes too. I wouldnt want to go back to a standard clutch...makes you wonder why Land Rover didnt do anything similar to make the clutch lighter.

It is quite a tight fit next to the brake servo unit for the TD5 but looks great. If anyone is interested I can take pictures of what it looks like when fitted. Current car: Defender 110 double cab (crew cab) pickup TD5 04
Previous cars: Disovery 3 TDV6 S (not recommended!), Defender 90 200tdi
Post #194912 19th Dec 2012 3:30pm
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I believe JasonG4110 on here has one on his TD5 110.

I thought I felt my ears burning!!

Yes I have one Andrew at red booster is a great guy and now that they have a supply in the UK the price has come down. I fitted mine so that Mrs S would be able to drive the Defender when we were away.

The unit works very well and you could operate the clutch with your little finger, although you have to watch that you don't ride the clutch with it being so light you can't leave your foot on the clutch pedal and like most things driving it takes a bit of getting used to. Mrs S loves it and is now able to drive the Defender in traffic without an issue so for me it was well worth the money as she used to struggle to hold the clutch as she is only little.

When I had mine fitted I also changed the clutch master and slave cylinder you don't need to but as you have to drain the system anyway I felt that spending a further £40 to save issues later was worth it.

Whilst the kit is very comprehensive I did have a couple of issues that you may want to look at before fitting it, Andrew said he was working on improving things so they may have already changed.

The first was the banjo washes they didn't fit very well and were of poor quality, luckily Ian (my mechanic) had some better washers that he uses on his race cars and used them instead.

The second issue I had was an air leak in the pipe work, from the vacuum tank in the end I spotted that the pipe that came with the kit was perished and leaking I therefore changed the pipe for some fuel pipe which was better suited to the engine bay and it works without an issue now, so I would change this for better pipe before fitting.

Jason.
Post #194922 19th Dec 2012 4:39pm
jasong4110

Some photos:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Jason.
Post #194925 19th Dec 2012 4:47pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Good pictures, I think that it would be a problem on mine because of the Alisport header tank.

Does it overlap with the plastic "flying saucer"?
Post #194939 19th Dec 2012 5:56pm
jasong4110

me@td5.org wrote:
Good pictures, I think that it would be a problem on mine because of the Alisport header tank.

Does it overlap with the plastic "flying saucer"?

No as part of the kit there is a new bracket to move the tank over a bit and out of the way, happy to take some measurements if you want.

Jason
Post #194940 19th Dec 2012 5:59pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Thanks Jason, it looks like it might also cause a problem for my planned larger air box.

I'll check the details with Andrew when I know the final situation on my car.

Phil
Post #194956 19th Dec 2012 7:02pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I looked into fitting a servo to my td5 clutch a while back and came across a couple of remote servo kits allowing the servo to be fitted anywhere under the bonnet. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #195028 19th Dec 2012 10:09pm
geo.smc

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I have one fitted on mine as well,really coudent have owned a defender without it now.

Click image to enlarge
 if a hammer wont fix it,, then its electrical
Post #195036 19th Dec 2012 10:30pm
Peter

Okay thanks for the replies. I had one fitted by Gigglepin4x4 last Wednesday to my 2005 TD5 when they did some other work (I needed a day off to update my accounts anyway.)
Its been fitted slightly differently. As its generally accepted that the TD5 clutch switch should be disconnected:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic579.html
So have run the long flexible pipe directly to the slave cylinder on the end of the Red Booster unit using a 300tdi connector and changing the thread in it.
Basically the TD5 install instructions for the clutch switch section were a bit poor and this was the option decided upon by the mechanic. (some confusion as the whether the correct pipework was sent ???).

Bleeding the clutch was a bit of a pig, but after a 3 man session it was sorted,

The clutch pedal sits at its highest point (not sure why) when rested, and is feather light (possibly as light as a Vauxhall corsa). And really makes the vehicle a joy to drive instead of a chore especially around town at lower speeds when tired from a days work. Reversing a long way is no longer a pain in the leg. I am yet to try towing a heavy load but am sure it will make this easier too.

I seriously now realize the TD5 needs a power boost as the clutch is so fast the accelerator lag is now most noticeable.

When starting from cold the clutch is hard, it takes 16 seconds or so for the compression to build up before the clutch becomes soft. Andrew said this was something they worked on a lot when designing it.

The vehicle also sounds quieter, so perhaps the clutch was dragging before this.
My only concern is putting 2 eggs in one basket - the vacumn pipework is shared with the brake.

Previously on one of my other Defenders I changed it to auto and 300tdi due to the clutch problem, the red booster is a much cheaper and easier option to this problem IMHO.

BTW also had the speedo gear sensor changed and the speedometer is now spot on with 235/85r16 BFG A/T's according to gps all the way up to 70.

Am yet to decide if will install the next one this way or the way Andrew designed it to be installed. But would welcome feedback. I'll try to take some detailed photo's over the Xmas break, when am fitting the HeatShot kit I got from 4x4Scotland.

Cheers

Peter
Post #195598 22nd Dec 2012 12:33am
jasong4110

I have not noticed that much clutch lag and have mine connected as per the instructions, now that I have changed the hose the tank seems to fill a lot quicker and is ready under 10 seconds, so I would say you may have a leak in either the vacuum side or the pipe between the tank and the servo.

One thing to also consider, now the bracket has changed the loom rubs on the new bracket to stop this causing an issue I fitted some rubber on the edge of the bracket.

Jason.

Oh and I fitted my heat shot this week!!

Jason.
Post #195601 22nd Dec 2012 12:45am
Peter

Forgot to mention, I no longer find I am crunching the gears. Especially 2nd.,

Cheers

Peter
Post #195602 22nd Dec 2012 12:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>